A New Way to Celebrate UNT Victory

UNTeagle88

SGA already attempted to make this happen, only to be denied because the bridge is not owned by UNT but is owned by TXDOT. That is what i've been told by the SGA VP.

Hahaha, the current SGA VP may think he knows what he's talking about, but alas, this sound more like a typical SGA cop-out. Construction of the Pedestrian Bridge was done in conjunction with UNT Facilities Construction and TxDOT, and primarily paid for by a Denton County Commissioner. That said, the de facto "owner" of the bridge is entirely UNT as its aesthetics, upkeep, and management are completely on that body and managed as part of campus Grounds.

Homedude SGA VP obviously has never spoken to Helen Bailey.

:( ...okay, light up the Murch then

Aha, no.

Hahaha, the current SGA VP may think he knows what he's talking about, but alas, this sound more like a typical SGA cop-out. Construction of the Pedestrian Bridge was done in conjunction with UNT Facilities Construction and TxDOT, and primarily paid for by a Denton County Commissioner. That said, the de facto "owner" of the bridge is entirely UNT as its aesthetics, upkeep, and management are completely on that body and managed as part of campus Grounds.

Homedude SGA VP obviously has never spoken to Helen Bailey.

Aha, no.

Seriously excited about this... how do we get this done then???

I want to leave a legacy my senior year @ UNT.... Harry... i feel since your admin of this huge board that you have your foot in the door to say something... I am a student employee who has worked for the university for 5 years... Normally i get dismissed.. but i really want something to happen so that everyone on I35 will know when we win..

What could be my next step?

I think any of these would be great. And none are overkill...we're a huge University, and the entire city and county grew into what they are because of UNT's existence. Proclaiming big events, like sports wins or even other major events, to the area with something like that is totally reasonable. The only thing to be cautious of is whether it would cause any light pollution that affects residential areas. If it's visible from there, it's fine. But if it has even a mild effect on the standard light vs. dark ratio outside their windows, there would be a big fight. Excessive light can affect property values, and those property owners could sue over it, as wild as that may sound. So as long as nobody is having to "bask in the glow" of whatever we put up, it should be fine.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to see marketing focus on Denton and Northern Tarrant County. There is a large population in Keller, Flower Mound and the like that we have not tapped into. Also many in that population that have ties to UNT (they went to UNT or their kids go or went to UNT).

Random thought.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have always thought it would be smart for UNT to be able to showcase their victory by lighting a building or sky next to I-35E and also visible from I-35W

Any ideas??? Think of this as a green version @ apogee

Outside-1a.jpg

Great picture. Top of the table. Come on you, Gunners!

• Upvote 1

One thing to keep in mind, I believe the Admin Tower Lights were a donation from a past alumni-class. These are all great ideas, but it would get off the ground faster if someone spear-headed a campaign to raise the funds and presented the idea to UNT. As for the bridge, I like that idea but cant speak for the realationship of TxDOT and UNT.. Still doesn't seem to be a huge roadblock if you ask me. No reason UNT couldn't install a Green LED light system on the bridge and then have it separately metered back to UNT.

I'd like to see marketing focus on Denton and Northern Tarrant County. There is a large population in Keller, Flower Mound and the like that we have not tapped into. Also many in that population that have ties to UNT (they went to UNT or their kids go or went to UNT).

Random thought.

Agreed, but I think we should be focusing more on the actual North Texas areas and all the small little cities surrounding Denton. We need to market ourselves as North Texas' team and less DFW's team. Way too crowded...DFW T-shirt fans (even our alums) will just jump to whoever is winning. If you disagree, see TCU's butts-in-seat attendance and SMU's 1 fan who attends, Mav/Stars/Rangers attendance in down years.