3rd round of the playoffs

BillySee58

Our promising recruiting class has some players whose teams are still making noise in the third round of the playoffs. Here's who is playing this weekend and when.

DeSoto vs. Arlington Martin (5A division 1), 7:30 pm, Friday November 29th in Midlothian

-Defensive Tackle Shaq Jackson is our only commit playing, since defensive end commit Johnavahm Graham broke his leg and has been out for the year since early on.

South Oak Cliff vs. Wylie (4A division 1), 7:30 pm, Friday November 29th in Allen

-Fonzale Davis, UNT commit and leading receiver in the DFW leads his team against Wylie in the Mecca of high school football stadiums.

Carthage vs. Silsbee (3A division 1), 4 pm, Friday November 29th in Beaumont at Lamar University

-Our two newest commits, receivers Tee Goree and Okeeron Rutherford take on a team they beat last year in the playoffs.

If you're in any of the areas of these games and can get out and watch any of them, you'll really enjoy it. 3rd round of Texas high school playoff games is always a great environment. Go Mean Green commits!

• Upvote 1

Carthage leads Silsbee 28-0 with 9:53 left in the 2nd quarter. Tee Goree has 2 touchdown catches already.

Edit:

42-0 Carthage with 7:56 left in the third. O'Keeron Rutherford caught the most recent touchdown for his first of the game. Big time red-zone target. Big time blowout.

Edited by BillySee58

So how did the two of them look? Is Rutherford just tall or can he run a bit?

Good question. I didn't see it live, just followed it on twitter. Both of Goree's tds were from 12 and 13 yards out iirc. Rutherford's td came from the two yard line. Just threw it up to the big guy at the goal line I'd assume. That's how we should use him here.

DeSoto will take on Euless Trinity next Saturday, 4 pm at Allen Eagle Stadium for the 5A Division 1 region I championship and a chance to advance to the state semifinals.

Carthage will take on West Orange-Stark, who squeaked by Jasper yesterday 18-16, next Friday, 7:30 pm at Beaumont ISD stadium for the 3A Division 1 region III championship and a chance to advance to the state semifinals.

Congratulations to all our commits and their teams on great seasons, including Fonzale Davis whose high school career ended yesterday. Good luck to our players from DeSoto (Jon Graham and Shaq Jackson) and Carthage (Tee Goree and Okee Rutherford) as they make deep playoff runs. If you're going to have multiple commits from one school, that school might as well be making a deep run with your future players.

does that include the Horton kid who is hanging them up?

Yes, he has already left and I already took him into account for open scholarships, as well as Nick Schrapps and everyone else who has left.

I don't know if anyone will leave or who it would be. I also don't think it's good to speculate who will transfer or quit. It may not happen and you hope it doesn't, but if it does you need to be ready to fill the spots if you can. Because it almost always does happen.

Thought that there was a 25 a year max?

There is, but if you don't sign 25 one year, then you can sign however many you were short in addition to the 25 the next year. The catch is that the signees past the 25 have to enroll at mid semester.

For example; we signed 23 last year. 2 short of 25. We can sign 27 this year, 2 more than 25, as long as at least 2 of the signees enroll at mid semester or sooner. Since Anthony Wallace is already enrolled and Connor Means will enroll for next semester, we can sign 27. They still count as part of our 2014 signing class.

Edited by BillySee58

There is, but if you don't sign 25 one year, then you can sign however many you were short in addition to the 25 the next year. The catch is that the signees past the 25 have to enroll at mid semester.

For example; we signed 23 last year. 2 short of 25. We can sign 27 this year, 2 more than 25, as long as at least 2 of the signees enroll at mid semester or sooner. Since Anthony Wallace is already enrolled and Connor Means will enroll for next semester, we can sign 27. They still count as part of our 2014 signing class.

Interesting that a high school kid can enroll before even signing his letter of intent, which can't occur until February.

I'm assuming Means would have to pay his own way for the Spring semester?

• Upvote 1

Interesting that a high school kid can enroll before even signing his letter of intent, which can't occur until February.

I'm assuming Means would have to pay his own way for the Spring semester?

Most big-time football schools bring in multiple early enrollees, as they are called, each class. They do not have to pay their way for the first semester, since there is an early enrollment signing period.