Stopping Rice run game will be crucial

Harry

There have been times over the last few weeks when North Texas linebacker Zach Orr has sensed the Mean Greens opponents becoming a bit one-dimensional.

Louisiana Tech ran the ball just five times in the second half, while Middle Tennessee ran it seven times.

Those low totals were due partly to the way the Mean Green built big early leads, but there is little doubt the way UNT is performing against opponents running games also played a role.

UNT has held three of its last four opponents under 100 yards rushing and gave up just 76 combined the last two weeks in wins over Louisiana Tech and Southern Mississippi.

Those performances set up what will be an intriguing matchup Thursday between UNT and Rice.

No one in Conference USA has a more effective running game than the Owls, while UNT ranks among the top teams in the league in rushing defense.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20131030-unt-notebook-stopping-rice-run-game-will-be-crucial.ece

Rice's run game is good, but they have benefited from playing some pretty weak rush defenses. Consider this the average ranking of rush defenses Rice has faced this year is 95, UNT is 22. The best rush defense Rice has faced this year was Houston who ranked 58th.Rice ran the ball 45 times in that game for a decent 3.9 yards per carry. So its not like we are facing an overwhelming rushing attack. They are not dynamic or explosive runners. They are powerful runners, kind of like Kenneth Dixon from La. Tech. If UNT plays good assignment football it will really negate their rushing attack. So many of their big plays come off option and zone read stuff. So that's why I mention assignment football, you need to account for the QB and the pitchman.

It is a difficult offense to prepare for in a short week. So don't be surprised if Rice has early success on some missed assignments, but I fully expect for UNT to make good adjustments. I think we do a heck of a job making 2nd half defensive adjustment.

Rushing: T.Gurley (UGA) -21 CAR, 91 YDS, 1 TD

Yep.

This is the biggest reason this game doesn't worry me. Rice hasn't seen a run defense like UNT all year long, while UNT controlled Gurley at Georgia.

UG did kill us over the top, and this will be the question for the Rice game.

Personally, I don't think Rice can do enough through the air to win.

• Upvote 1

Yep.

This is the biggest reason this game doesn't worry me. Rice hasn't seen a run defense like UNT all year long, while UNT controlled Gurley at Georgia.

UG did kill us over the top, and this will be the question for the Rice game.

Personally, I don't think Rice can do enough through the air to win.

And really its only one guy to worry about with their air game - Jordan Taylor. Big physical WR.

Our offense worries me more.

They have a stud CB. Whatever side he plays on, expect the safety on that side to be in the box playing the run.

Our receivers are gonna HAVE to make plays against that CB, plain and simple.

Gonna be an interesting game of x and o.

Our offense worries me more.

They have a stud CB. Whatever side he plays on, expect the safety on that side to be in the box playing the run.

Our receivers are gonna HAVE to make plays against that CB, plain and simple.

Gonna be an interesting game of x and o.

Well they will essentially have 3 safeties on the field so you will see on of those guys in the box. One guy will be matched up with our 3 WR when we go 3 wide. In our big sets I would expect to see 2 safeties in the box

The option is always very difficult to defend. Don't short-change Rice just because of the run defenses on their schedule. I consider it more of an unknown, rather than overrated.

It is if you don't play good assignment football and don't pursue well. I don't see how you think their run offense is an unknown? I'm not short changing them, I just don't think its as good as the numbers say. They are not going to come out and make you go "Wow!".

Yeah, it's under 100, but it's 4.3 YPC. If UNT gives up 4.3 on average, it will be a very close game. UNT needs to worry about McHargue running, as well, not just Ross.

Absolutely McHargue, is the man that makes the Rice offense tick. Very good at making reads in their run game. Decent speed probably faster than their other top 2 rushers. In passing situations he could hurt UNT.

I really don't know what to think about this game and I don't like that. UNT90 is positive about this game and that makes me really nervous. I hope our home field advantage really makes a difference here.

And you were nervous that I was positive about USM, which makes me more positive that your nervousness is a positive indicator for a big North Texas win.

Positively or nervously, it's 30-10.

Crowd has to play a huge role...that stadium is loud because of how it sits slightly underground. Gotta make it pay dividends or us. I think the key to this game is to continue to hit the tight ends like we did against Southern Mississippi. Those 5-10 yard pickups by the TE are killes for a defense. That might stress the safeties enough to get 80 or 3 open deep.

And you were nervous that I was positive about USM, which makes me more positive that your nervousness is a positive indicator for a big North Texas win.

Positively or nervously, it's 30-10.

Man, if we were to blow out these feisty nightbirds in the manner you're suggesting, I would...I don't even know what I would do. I can't wrap my head around just how immensely huge that would be for our program.

Go Mean Green!

Crowd has to be the 12th Man. It will be imposing for Rice if there's a loud crowd and a physical defense that they know will knock the crap out of them. I think shutting down the run and making them beat us through the air would result in a blowout. However, I think Rice will have some success against us on the ground. I still think we win by a good margin. I'm unimpressed with them. Maybe I will be tomorrow.

All I know is our guys are pumped and are treating this like a BCS bowl. That bodes well.

Edited by meangreener

Wut. No, please no.

Not trying to spook anyone. I think, if anything at all, it was only a type of injury that had him sidelined at LaTech for 5 - 10 minutes game time.

He'll probably start again, but I did not see the fearlessness at USM that he was showing earlier this year. I hope he's okay.