DRC: UNT tip-off event running blog

Brett Vito

Excellent crowd tonight! Very excited to see the turnout and excitement. This event was done very well and it came off very well. Even my wife, never prone to commenting on this sort of thing...one way or the other...commented as to how much fun it was and what a great crowd for the event. Food was good and free...pretty much a pig out for me...two hot dogs (grilled and courtesy of Wells Fargo), ice cream from Beth Marie's, sandwich (quarter) from Jimmy Johns, and Nachos from Los Torres (Ithink) and a diet coke...yep...all free!

Step dancers and drum line were great...

Teams each played a bit of scrimmage, then a three point contest and a dunk contest.

Really enjoyed Flannigan and Walton. Flannigan won the slam dunk contest as well. Not much defense played as it was a scrimmage like last years. Jordan Williams looked, to me, ready to go as did CJ.

Ladies are going to be fun to watch...on a side note I bought my first ever...ever...women's basketball season ticket today....ladies looked like they had spent some time in the weight room as well.

Crowd looked bigger than several of the men's games crowds last season. Really good to see. Students, alums, families...yes, lots of kids out as well.

Student Alumni Association auction had several really cool UNT union items...I went back to raise bids and found all the items I had bid on were purchased already by the "by it now" price! Bummer. But looked like the young alumni group had a good sale for their scholarship fund. Looking forward to hearing what the results actually were. Some really good UNT stuff! Saw lots of bidders, but you never know when it is time to "pay up" who returns.

Anyway...really fun event for students, alums and families.

I'll leave more of the player evaluations to those who are more experienced at such stuff. Hopefully, a few of you folks attended and can add details for us.

Really glad I went...just to see the crowd and excitement if for no other reason. We'll see if the crowd holds and builds as the season goes along, but everyone should certainly be pleased with tonight's turnout. Well done event...lots of fun.

• Upvote 3

I thought this was a 1st class event tonight! I was also was pleasantly shocked with the turnout. It was hell getting to and from Denton on I35 (from Dallas) but it was worth it

Don't know what the men will do this year but it should be a more balanced team. I wish Tony Mitchell was still here but teams generally perform better without the focus and attention on one guy. I would not get too excited about a 15 minutes (running clock) scrimmage but there is promise. If we could compete with the other teams in CUSA in the dunk line, I like our chances. Other than that, we want know much about this team until conference time.

Very pleased with the look of the women. We are not that tall but our girls are thick. They also have skills to beat most of the schools in CUSA. The success, or lack thereof, of this team will totally be on the shoulders of Mike Peterson. This may be the most talented group in a while.

Scoreboard is really nice! Sound system is better but it didn't seem like they had the volume turned up. Recruit Jeremy Coombs seemed to have a good time as well as the Maverick's Jae Crowder

Again, thumbs up on a good evening!

• Upvote 3

photo of the crowd I got:

photo20131010230321.jpg

Snowy...that shot must have been early or late as there were many more on the press box side at the height of the event than what appears here. I was watching that closely as all the free food and auction stuff was on the other side and felt that would be where the majority sat. They did, but the press box side did have quite a few more than is reflected in your photo.

Love the photo by the way. Shows how bright that new scoreboard can be. Can't wait to see the new floor. Thanks for posting the photo.

• Upvote 3

Peterson going for a more physical squad?

Sure the heck looked like it last evening. Doubt UNT will get pushed around much under the basket this year. Doubt we'll see tears on the bench either. These kids looked ready to play and ready for the play!

The event was much better than last year. Same basic thing but less standing around, and much tighter. Congrats to the AD.

Love the big screen but I hope they put the score up there and not just show the game while the game is going on.

The sound system was weird. It probably needs tweaking, but it sounded to me like the sound was coming from the room next door. There was very little presence.

As Cooley said team has more balance, but losing two bigs already may cause problems although Voss is supposed to only out a short term.

The ladies are much deeper and more athletic. Men, it was hard to tell, they looked great last year too and that didn't turn out well.

The event was much better than last year. Same basic thing but less standing around, and much tighter. Congrats to the AD.

Love the big screen but I hope they put the score up there and not just show the game while the game is going on.

The sound system was weird. It probably needs tweaking, but it sounded to me like the sound was coming from the room next door. There was very little presence.

As Cooley said team has more balance, but losing two bigs already may cause problems although Voss is supposed to only out a short term.

The ladies are much deeper and more athletic. Men, it was hard to tell, they looked great last year too and that didn't turn out well.

This thread is only 14 (well, now mine makes 15) deep, but even if it reaches 500+ posts, this is the understatement of the thread.