Benford keeps winning the recruiting battles

Harry

Have you read this board? That is exactly what is going around here lately. You blame one of the Tonys entirely. There is very little middle ground around here.

NOPE...WRONG...NEVER HAVE! And, since you feel the need to put me in that catagory...please go find any post of mine where I blame either Tony for "entirely" for last season's disaster. I have blamed both Tonys from time to time and place the responsibility for TM's actions squarely where HE placed them ... on his very broad shoulders. Ignoring anyone's actions and responsibilities relating to last season's disaster is silly. As I have stated...it was no ONE person's fault, but many share the responsibility...yep TM and TB alike.

So, now, kind sir...go find that post of mine where I blamed either Tony for anything other than their own responsibilities and actions....I'm waiting....and especially the post where I said either was "entirely" responsible.

Yes, I realize reading comprehension is hard for some folks, but that is no excuse for completely missing the boat.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

NOPE...WRONG...NEVER HAVE! And, since you feel the need to put me in that catagory...please go find any post of mine where I blame either Tony for "entirely" for last season's disaster. I have blamed both Tonys from time to time and place the responsibility for TM's actions squarely where HE placed them ... on his very broad shoulders. Ignoring anyone's actions and responsibilities relating to last season's disaster is silly. As I have stated...it was no ONE person's fault, but many share the responsibility...yep TM and TB alike.

So, now, kind sir...go find that post of mine where I blamed either Tony for anything other than their own responsibilities and actions....I'm waiting....and especially the post where I said either was "entirely" responsible.

Yes, I realize reading comprehension is hard for some folks, but that is no excuse for completely missing the boat.

Sorry if it came across as I was saying that about you, not the case. That said, many on here are on one side or the other with little middle ground.

Sorry if it came across as I was saying that about you, not the case. That said, many on here are on one side or the other with little middle ground.

Well, you did post in reply to my comment, but OK...thanks for clearing that up a bit.

We can definitely agree that there is very little middle ground with some folks. Note the replies in my thread asking if we can't just move along toward a new season and support the team.

• Upvote 1

I don't know what happened off court last year but it certainly didn't translate to on-court success.

I believe that Tony Benford is a good/very good recruiter. He's in his element and has a history of success. He sounds convincing and sincere.

For all of Tony's basketball experience he had zero as a head coach. I didn't worry about that because his #1 assistant had plenty of years at the helm. I don't know whether Tony refused to ask for advice or didn't heed what was given. Whatever, the results were disastrous. Either you get the squad to buy into your system or you devise a system to take advantage of the players strengths.

It appears neither happened. Can both make some adjustments this year?

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

He tried hard the year before.

Remind me, what changed?

IT IS THE COACH'S RESPONSIBILiTY TO MOTIVATE PLAYERS!!!

Get it?

Possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this board.

I am responsible for my kids behavior, so if they don't act right it's all my fault as the parent? No, sometimes people just make bad decisions, no matter how much you prepare them. To say its the coaches job to motivate players and hint that players have no responsibility in it is ridiculous. After the season got off to a bad start, Tony (the player) mailed it in, and was just killing time until the draft. Not even Tony Robbins was going to motivate him, much less Benford.

Last years failure is easy to identify:

- poor coaching

- poor play by some players

- poor attitude by some players

- injuries in some spots we couldn't afford, especially impacting offense

- overrated team, some younger signees didn't pan out as expected

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this board.

I am responsible for my kids behavior, so if they don't act right it's all my fault as the parent?

Yes, you ARE responsible for your kids' behavior. It's called parenting.

What if your kids were fine citizens, but then you decided to get a divorce and left the parenting up to their new step-mother, and then your kids started acting out?

Do you not think THAT would be your responsibility?

Because THAT is what we are talking about here.

Where were all these behavioral problems in 2012? Why did they suddenly appear in 2013?

What changed in the basketball lives of our young children?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maybe the players figure that with enough talent, coaching won't matter. ;-)

This is what I intended to respond to earlier when I wrote, "wouldn't this have occurred last year with a 5 star, NBA draftee once considered a potential lottery pick on the team?" Seems the opposite happened and you have contradicted your point.

• Upvote 1

This is what I intended to respond to earlier when I wrote, "wouldn't this have occurred last year with a 5 star, NBA draftee once considered a potential lottery pick on the team?" Seems the opposite happened and you have contradicted your point.

Ya, except for the fact that you don't get sarcasm.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, you ARE responsible for your kids' behavior. It's called parenting.

What if your kids were fine citizens, but then you decided to get a divorce and left the parenting up to their new step-mother, and then your kids started acting out?

Do you not think THAT would be your responsibility?

Because THAT is what we are talking about here.

Where were all these behavioral problems in 2012? Why did they suddenly appear in 2013?

What changed in the basketball lives of our young children?

I am pretty sure what changed was the parent that recruited him to play for NT walked out on his family for a trophy wife and TM looks like he never recovered. Poor kid probably blames himself.

Adults...it's what's wrong with kid sports.

• Upvote 2

I am pretty sure what changed was the parent that recruited him to play for NT walked out on his family for a trophy wife and TM looks like he never recovered. Poor kid probably blames himself.

HOF worthy on so many levels! Greatness...pure greatness here folks.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

And then his basketball mom chose a new husband. One that TM initially liked, as the new guy was nice to start out with, but then TM realized that the new guy had no clue how to parent, telling TM yes for 2 minutes, then no for 2 minutes, then yes for 2 minutes. This confused and frustrated TM, causing behavioral problems and causing TM to make faces people didn't like.

The new dad also promised TM many things that the new dad didn't produce. We all know what they were: better defense, a more up tempo offense, a better rebounding team. The knew dad also promised to help TM get his dream job, but then TM watched as the new dad did everything possible to keep TM from his dream job.

Sometimes, step-dads just suck, eh?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

And then his basketball mom chose a new husband. One that TM initially liked, as the new guy was nice to start out with, but then TM realized that the new guy had no clue how to parent, telling TM yes for 2 minutes, then no for 2 minutes, then yes for 2 minutes. This confused and frustrated TM, causing behavioral problems and causing TM to make faces people didn't like.

The new dad also promised TM many things that the new dad didn't produce. We all know what they were: better defense, a more up tempo offense, a better rebounding team. The knew dad also promised to help TM get his dream job, but then TM watched as the new dad did everything possible to keep TM from his dream job.

Sometimes, step-dads just suck, eh?

Yep. Sometimes they do. Benford certainly sucked at building on whatever promises he made to TM and certainly sucked at keeping the momentum going from the prior year. The injuries didn't help, and having your star player lose interest two weeks in is always a kick in the crotch. Maybe the best thing, IF there is ANY chance of TB turning this thing around, was to have the amount of turnover that occurred. Basically a fresh start with only a couple of holdovers. Hopefully that will somehow help. If not, the next 3 years will feel like 10.

• Upvote 1