Oh! The humanity!

Ohio has been to four consecutive bowl games. In those seasons, they have won 8, 9, 10, and 9 games, respectively. To say that Frank Solich has that thing going in the right direction is a huge understatement.

We've had eight consecutive losing seasons. Over the past four seasons, we've won 2, 3, 5, and 4 games, respectively under three head coaches.

And, so we go up there and lose by 6...and people here as moaning and groaning...mainly, because they don't understand football: run, stop the run, play solid, mistake-free special teams.

So, what do we bitch about? This:

Tyler Tettleton: 19-30, 239 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs

Derek Thompson: 19-29, 195, 2 TDs, 2 INTs

Hmm.

Rushing:

Ryan Boykin: 19-93, 4.9 per carry

Beau Blankenship: 14-83, 5.9 per carry

33 rushes out of their halfback duo for 176 yards, 5.3 yards per carry

Antoinne Jimmerson: 12-35, 2.9 yards per carry

Brandin Byrd: 10-27, 2.7 per carry

Reggie Pegram: 9-23, 2.6 per carry

31 rushes out of our halfback trio for 85 yards, 2.7 per carry

We were not running or stopping the run. We missed a field goal.

They kick a field goal about half way through the fourth quarter to take a 24-21 lead. This is a school with a roster full of guys recruited to a team with four consecutive bowl games and 36 wins during the stretch scratching out a win over a school with a roster full of guys recruited to a team with eight consecutve losing seasons and 14 wins over the past four years...

...and, people here want to bitch because our QB played their much-heralded QB toe-to-toe, even while having his main weapon held in check (Chancellor, 1 catch/33 yards, 1 rush/2 yards).

Do the right thing:

(1) Tip your hat to the Ohio defense for doing what defenses are supposed to do - stop the run, eliminate the opponent's playmaker (I'd say playmakers, but we really only have one in Chancellor)

(2) Be happy Derek Thompson played to the level of Tyler Tettleton and found guys despite Ohio effectively taking Chancellor out of the game.

(3) Admit that our place kickers need to start showing up in games, not just in practice.

Anything else you read into the game is pure fantasy. The biggest of all is that our football coaches with decades of experience hold certain players out of the game just so they can be loyal to others. Because the CIA has opened the Area 51 files, though, I guess there must be other manufactured, illogical consiracies to cling to.

27 first down plays, 7 passes.

16 first down plays in the first half, 2 passes.

When everyone in the stadium know when you are going to run the ball, stopping the run becomes much easier.

We ran the ball 31 times. 19 of those were on first down.

Do you seriously not get the continued problem with this?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Ohio, on first down last night: 25 rushes, 8 passes. Gee, a very similar game plan, by - surprise, surprise - a coach cut from the same midwestern, run-first mold as McCarney. Wow.

So, what are you trying to say? Because, you are really saying what I've already told everyone: You must be able to run and stop the run.

When Ohio needed to run the ball, they ran well. On the other side of the ball, they stopped our run game. Congrats to them. They do what the best football teams do.

Now...let me guess. You'd be the type to criticize BYU for running too much on first down against Texas last night. I mean, it was predictable that they were going to keep running. How in the world did BYU win without "making UT's defense guess" about what it was going to do? BYU was very predictable. Uber-predictable.

Football is this: Run, stop the run, have effective, mistake-free special teams. That's football. It's why guys like Frank Solich are still head coaches and guys like Hal Mumme are not.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 3

Oh, and by the way, I think this game shows that Mac is doing a hell of a job. No one favored us to win. Ohio is tough and were at home. We were not blown out or embarrassed.

As crappy as the C-USA looks, and considering the strong showing last night against a better team, I think we could realistically challenge for a spot in the C-USA title game. Before the season, I'd have never believed it.

In short, Mac appears to have instilled some fight and pride in this team. We'll do better than the 4-5 wins I thought we'd have.

Don't know if I will go as far as saying more than 5 wins--yet. But, I agree pretty much with everything else. I know saying it is unpopular, but this team has improved a LOT over even last year. It's night and day, really. Just need to win some games.

• Upvote 5

Ohio, on first down last night: 25 rushes, 8 passes. Gee, a very similar game plan, by - surprise, surprise - a coach cut from the same midwestern, run-first mold as McCarney. Wow.

So, what are you trying to say? Because, you are really saying what I've already told everyone: You must be able to run and stop the run.

When Ohio needed to run the ball, they ran well. On the other side of the ball, they stopped our run game. Congrats to them. They do what the best football teams do.

Now...let me guess. You'd be the type to criticize BYU for running too much on first down against Texas last night. I mean, it was predictable that they were going to keep running. How in the world did BYU win without "making UT's defense guess" about what it was going to do? BYU was very predictable. Uber-predictable.

Football is this: Run, stop the run, have effective, mistake-free special teams. That's football. It's why guys like Frank Solich are still head coaches and guys like Hal Mumme are not.

It's one thing when the other team can't stop the run, it's another when you aren't getting squat and continue to pound your head against a wall like we did last night.

Even though Ohio did the same thing, what was the first freaking play they ran from scrimmage? Remember that one? Do you not think that affected opening up the running game for them?

And remind me, when was the last time we opened a game with a downfield pass on our first play on the first offensive possession? Has it EVER been done in the DMac era? No, 4 yard passes that the receivers turn into 15 yard gains don't count.

Solich's conservatives play calling is what left the door open for UNT to be able to win this game. Mac's conservative play calling is what lost it.

We were promised a more wide open offense. It's obvious that was just coach speak, a nice way of saying "it's a lie."

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

When, Ohio needed to run the ball, they ran well. On the other side of the ball, they stopped our run game. Congrats to them. They do what the best football teams do.

Now...let me guess. You'd be the type to criticize BYU for running too much on first down against Texas last night. I mean, it was predictable that they were going to keep running. How in the world did BYU win without "making UT's defense guess" about what it was going to do.

Wrong.

If we move down the field for a td that last drive we win the game with the same amount of rushing yards. We tied the game without running the ball.

Finally, you say we did as good as was expected. Yet we couldn't run the ball. So by that logic the inability to run the ball had no influence how well we played because we lost by what was expected.

If a MAC coach who has never won a conference title is your sole barometer that you have to run to win, your argument isn't very convincing. By the way, Solich started the game with a long pass play. Hmmmm.

I know it's hard to believe but other people watch college football.

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

A lot of truth to your posts, but a major betch in regard to the running game, is that we were supposed to have a superior OL over what almost amounted to a second team OL on their side of the ball. I wish I could say our OL/RB's were young and inexperienced, but that excuse doesn't work this time around.

About the only thing I know (IMO) is that the running game cost us a chance to win this game. Wish we had more than one game before Georgia to try and figure this out.

• Upvote 1

Yes. Solich is a good barometer. No, an excellent barometer, for a mid-major school.

I'd love to have a coach leading us getting us to conference title games, beating Penn State, and regularly going to bowl games...even if his method is 3-to-1 running plays on first down. It's not his fault that he understands football.

Success, thy name is establishing a run games, stopping the run, playing effective, mistake-free special teams. Hello, Frank Solich and Nick Saban.

• Upvote 2

Great post Fake, it just does not fit into many's agenda which seems to be Thompson is the cause of all evil.

There were a lot of mean green players that didn't play as well as Thompson in that game.

Two very similar coaches and teams matched up in a close game. The biggest differences: they had the big plays and a much more consistent ground game. This was far from the bad loses, NT has had in the past. I am not happy with it, it was a game NT could have won; but far from one that they should have won.

• Upvote 4

Thank you for stating a few facts regarding the Ohio program. After drowning my disappointment in beer last night, I visited the board to see what the general thoughts were. Of course overwhelmingly negative. I am not up on smaller programs- so I did a little digging and discovered what Ohio has done for the last 3 years, including a 7-0 season start in 2012 that featured a win against Penn St last year and also a top 25 ranking. No they are not a powerhouse, but for us to go up there in front of a decent crowd in a place where they have few losses, and basically battle them for 4 quarters is nothing to sweep under the rug. Our defense had 2 opportunites to make a stop on those final 2 drives to give us a little clock time and some field position, and they could not make a play. Tetleltton throws up a duck and a prayer on 3rd down, and somehow their guy comes up with a diving catch. Even with all that, we still got the ball, down 6 with a chance. No I am not satisfied with moral victories- but for our program to arise out of a deep hole, a little patience people. And yes, I am convinced that having a mobile QB that can at least extend plays, pick up a first down every now and then with his legs could make a difference in 2 or 3 wins per season.

• Upvote 1

Holy cow what a nauseous bunch of crap.

Anyone that watched that game and saw us tie it up in the 4th, would know that was our game to lose we had the momentum. Our defense held Ohio Scoreless in the 3rd and only gave up 2 field goals last 43 minutes of the game. We shot ourselves in the foot period, Ohio did not beat us Rookie mistakes in our offense beat us, except these players are not rookies, I focus on a coach in his 4th year of not getting fundamentals correct.

Keep making excuses if you want, but that time is over for me.

Let me start for y'all next year we can't win because we will have a brand new QB and lost all our experience on the defense.

The next year we might win but our QB will be in his 2nd year slump.

So maybe in three years we can have a winning season, but it is a really tough schedule and both Texas State and UTSA are really good now, and SMU will surely kick our ass. The song that never ends around here is how to expect and accept losing like it was a good thing

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Here's the key difference. If we put 8 or 9 in the box to stop their running game then Tettleron burns us with his arm. If they put 8 or 9 in the box they get to stop the run.

While you're at it throw Tony Romo's stats up there. Then throw up the stats in games where a playoff berth or division title was on the line. Stats don't mean jack in crunch time.

Not to mention the reason many give for Mac keeping DT in there is that he loathes mistakes and turnovers. Whoops.

• Upvote 1

BYU ran the ball because it was working, we continued running the ball when it wasn't working....when they stop the run the only other thing you can do is pass...esp on 1st down.

Ohio has been to four consecutive bowl games. In those seasons, they have won 8, 9, 10, and 9 games, respectively. To say that Frank Solich has that thing going in the right direction is a huge understatement.

We've had eight consecutive losing seasons. Over the past four seasons, we've won 2, 3, 5, and 4 games, respectively under three head coaches.

And, so we go up there and lose by 6...and people here as moaning and groaning...mainly, because they don't understand football: run, stop the run, play solid, mistake-free special teams.

So, what do we bitch about? This:

Tyler Tettleton: 19-30, 239 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs

Derek Thompson: 19-29, 195, 2 TDs, 2 INTs

Hmm.

Rushing:

Ryan Boykin: 19-93, 4.9 per carry

Beau Blankenship: 14-83, 5.9 per carry

33 rushes out of their halfback duo for 176 yards, 5.3 yards per carry

Antoinne Jimmerson: 12-35, 2.9 yards per carry

Brandin Byrd: 10-27, 2.7 per carry

Reggie Pegram: 9-23, 2.6 per carry

31 rushes out of our halfback trio for 85 yards, 2.7 per carry

We were not running or stopping the run. We missed a field goal.

They kick a field goal about half way through the fourth quarter to take a 24-21 lead. This is a school with a roster full of guys recruited to a team with four consecutive bowl games and 36 wins during the stretch scratching out a win over a school with a roster full of guys recruited to a team with eight consecutve losing seasons and 14 wins over the past four years...

...and, people here want to bitch because our QB played their much-heralded QB toe-to-toe, even while having his main weapon held in check (Chancellor, 1 catch/33 yards, 1 rush/2 yards).

Do the right thing:

(1) Tip your hat to the Ohio defense for doing what defenses are supposed to do - stop the run, eliminate the opponent's playmaker (I'd say playmakers, but we really only have one in Chancellor)

(2) Be happy Derek Thompson played to the level of Tyler Tettleton and found guys despite Ohio effectively taking Chancellor out of the game.

(3) Admit that our place kickers need to start showing up in games, not just in practice.

Anything else you read into the game is pure fantasy. The biggest of all is that our football coaches with decades of experience hold certain players out of the game just so they can be loyal to others. Because the CIA has opened the Area 51 files, though, I guess there must be other manufactured, illogical conspiracies to cling to.

So what will you say when UTSA hands us our ass on a platter....should Mac be fired when this happens with a team without as much money, a startup and no stadium of its own? This I would think would really tell us what kind of coaching talent we have vs UTSA...and it should be head and shoulders above UTSA....now what ?

Yes. Solich is a good barometer. No, an excellent barometer, for a mid-major school.

I'd love to have a coach leading us getting us to conference title games, beating Penn State, and regularly going to bowl games...even if his method is 3-to-1 running plays on first down. It's not his fault that he understands football.

Success, thy name is establishing a run games, stopping the run, playing effective, mistake-free special teams. Hello, Frank Solich and Nick Saban.

A WAY oversimplification of the game.

Why don't you do this. Check out our 1st down rush to pass ratio against Ball St. If its near 50 percent, it's a close game. If it compares to the Ohio game, we lose by 2 TDs (assuming turnovers are even, a very important item left out of your football oversimplification 101 class).

• Upvote 1

A WAY oversimplification of the game.

Why don't you do this. Check out our 1st down rush to pass ratio against Ball St. If its near 50 percent, it's a close game. If it compares to the Ohio game, we lose by 2 TDs (assuming turnovers are even, a very important item left out of your football oversimplification 101 class).

Speaking of WAY oversimplification........ glad to know that all we have to do is pass it at least as often as we run it on 1st down and we are guaranteed a win.

Why did no one ever think about that before... Pot, meet Kettle

Speaking of WAY oversimplification........ glad to know that all we have to do is pass it at least as often as we run it on 1st down and we are guaranteed a win.

Why did no one ever think about that before... Pot, meet Kettle

It's called a balanced offense. Ever heard of it? 2 rushes in 16 1st half 1st downs tells the opponent exactly what to do.

Emmitt said earlier in the thread that Tettleton could make us pay for stacking the box. WE WON'T GIVE DT A CHANCE TO MAKE THEM PAY! WE JUST KEEP BASHING OUR RUNNING BACK'S HEAD INTO AN F'N BRICK WALL!!!!

And my mistake, after reviewing the first half stats , we actually only threw the ball 2 TIMES IN 16 FIRST HALF FIRST DOWNS!! TWO FREAKING TIMES!!!!

And those passes were safe 2 and 6 yard gains.

When did we throw our first 1st down pass? WITH 8:20 LEFT IN THE SECOND QUARTER!!!

When did Ohio throw on 1st down? Their very first play. They threw long (not for 2 yards). For a TD. That loosened up our defense for their running attack.

If you don't understand what a balanced offensive attack does for your QB, you just don't understand football,

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Look at it this way; we lost by less than a touchdown, but spotted them a touchdown at the start of the game. We have a lot of things to iron out, but we really are improving. I still see a successful season, especially if we win Saturday and I have a feeling we will.

• Upvote 2