Conference USA Looking Good

Harry

The start of the college football season is closing in fast and now that the conference shuffling has ended, the athletic director at Marshall University says Conference USA is poised for success.

"We've added some really good teams that we think have great potential, they are in huge media markets, we've got good television partners with this Fox 1 that just launched here this last week and we're a partner with CBS," said Marshall Athletic Director Mike Hamrick. "We've got a lot of really good things going on in our conference."

The future of C-USA was in question earlier in the year when four teams, Houston, SMU, Central Florida and Memphis, announced they were leaving for the Big East this year. To make matters worse, East Carolina, Tulane and Tulsa, all scheduled to leave 2014.

It looked like the only means of survival for C-USA was to merge with the Mountain-West Conference, but then they picked up several new teams from other conferences. Western Kentucky, which joins in 2014, along with Middle Tennessee, Florida Atlantic and Florida International from the Sun Belt, Louisiana Tech and Texas-San Antonio from the Western Athletic Conference, UNC Charlotte from the Atlantic 10 and ODU from the Colonial Athletic Association.

"We knew that we could hold Conference USA together and we knew that we could add some good schools because we have a good core base of schools that stayed in C-USA," said Marshall Athletic Director Mike Hamrick. "We've got good television packages and that's critical to your future."

So at the end of all the shuffling, C-USA will have 14 teams. But to make things even more exciting, C-USA Commissioner Britton Banowsky announced this week that the conference has secured future relationships with ESPN Regional Television, a subsidiary of ESPN, to participate in five different bowl games over the next six years.

Read more: http://58wchs.com/common/more.php?m=15&r=1&item_id=16681

The Marshall official knows exactly what he's talking about.

All this is a bigger deal than I think many of our constituency inside and outside GMG.com even realize (yet so many of our constituency do realize how big a deal this is for North Texas).

All the pieces of our sometimes seemingly un-solvable puzzle I see slowly fitting into their places and that is the first time most of us Baby Boomers and up* could ever say such in our lifetimes.

GMG!

* We have 1 or 2 on this message board who first started following the Mean Green as UNT students when our football field was located where the Willis Library now stands. :goodjob:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

The Marshall official knows exactly what he's talking about.

All this is a bigger deal than I think many of our constituency inside and outside GMG.com even realize (yet so many of our constituency do realize how big a deal this is for North Texas).

All the pieces of our sometimes seemingly un-solvable puzzle I see slowly fitting into their places and that is the first time most of us Baby Boomers and up* could ever say such in our lifetimes.

GMG!

* We have 1 or 2 on this message board who first started following the Mean Green as UNT students when our football field was located where the Willis Library now stands. :goodjob:

"The Marshall official knows exactly what he's talking about"

Except that we apparently don't exist to him.

• Upvote 1

I had to read that paragraph a second time just to see if my eyes were failing me. Un-f___ing-believable! I pray we stomp Marshall's a$$ when we do play them.

I had to read it again, too, to see his big omission which was his leaving out the school in "ONLY" the largest TV market in Conference-USA.

The North Texas Metroplex will soon enough pass Philadelphia to become the #4 ranked market probably next major census by those who do the counting.

http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

They didn't mention UNT because they still think they're in the Sun Belt. Though if you want to get technical about it...CUSA 3.0 = Sun Belt 2.0

In which case, I diagnose this as UNT's own conference not knowing they exist.

Go back to your little froggie lilly pond. (You really do like all this attention, now don't you)?

Did you get booted from the TCU board as the rumor suggests? Go visit SMU's board since I'm sure the Stangs would just love to entertain you! (Sorry 'Stang fans, but we've had enough of this one).

GMG!

They didn't mention UNT because they still think they're in the Sun Belt. Though if you want to get technical about it...CUSA 3.0 = Sun Belt 2.0

In which case, I diagnose this as UNT's own conference not knowing they exist.

I really wish you'd find another site to browse while you wait for your drug connection to show up.

• Upvote 1