How do we fill our spots?

With things picking up a little but in the recruiting class of 2014 I wanted to see how you guys feel we should fill our scholarship spots. We currently have 17 scholarship seniors on our team, and about 79 players currently on scholarship.

This 79 does not include Oregon transfer Anthony Wallace, who will be a part of the 2014 signing class like Darius Terrell and Reggie Pegram were last year. This 79 also does not include walk ons how may be put on scholarship this semester (i.e. Kaydon Kirby).

We will lose 1 qb, 1 running back, 3 receivers, 2 tight ends, 1 o-lineman, 3 d-lineman, 2 linebackers, 3 dbs, and 1 kicker to graduation.

My prediction:

23 total signees

- 1 qb

- 2 running backs

- 3 receivers

- 3 o-lineman

- 1 tight end

- 5 d-lineman (3 tackles, 2 ends)

- 3 linebackers (including Anthony Wallace)

- 3 defensive backs

- 0 kickers (could get one depending on how confident Coach Mac is with Zach Paul and Travis Tamez replacing Zach Olen)

- 2 athletes/best players available

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

I thought we had a full 85 on scholarship

I think we did on signing day. I looked at the roster and counted everyone on scholarship, which came to 79. Since then Devante Davis, Boone Feldt, Dustin Clark, Dylan Mcdorman, and Xavier Kelly have left and Richard Abbe has been taken off scholarship. That's 6 guys right there. With all of our 2013 signings making it in that would make sense that we have 79 scholarship players currently.

I like your analysis. The only positions that I see different are running back (where I believe we take only one) and tight end where we take none.

After this year we will have Jimmerson, Pegram, Lewis, and Rollins at running back and Erick Evans may be given a scholarship and I believe that the potential there is strong. Tight ends after this year will be Loving, Reinhardt, Marcus Smith. Tanner Smith. and Cooper Jones. So far, we haven't offered to a tight end candidate unless one of the athletes can play tight end.

• Upvote 1

I like your analysis. The only positions that I see different are running back (where I believe we take only one) and tight end where we take none.

After this year we will have Jimmerson, Pegram, Lewis, and Rollins at running back and Erick Evans may be given a scholarship and I believe that the potential there is strong. Tight ends after this year will be Loving, Reinhardt, Marcus Smith. Tanner Smith. and Cooper Jones. So far, we haven't offered to a tight end candidate unless one of the athletes can play tight end.

1 running back is definitely a possibility, but a lot of that will depend on how confident the coaches feel about our redshirt freshman Lewis, Rollins, and Evans after this year is over. Three running backs in the same grade potentially sets up a situation in which one may transfer. You never like to see that, but that's a reason why I see us taking two backs. More as an insurance policy.

As for tight end, I wonder if we are still actively recruiting Caleb Chumley. He may be a case of a kid who wants to play quarterback in college and we probably won't be the one to give him that chance after the Means commitment.

• Upvote 1

1 running back is definitely a possibility, but a lot of that will depend on how confident the coaches feel about our redshirt freshman Lewis, Rollins, and Evans after this year is over. Three running backs in the same grade potentially sets up a situation in which one may transfer. You never like to see that, but that's a reason why I see us taking two backs. More as an insurance policy.

As for tight end, I wonder if we are still actively recruiting Caleb Chumley. He may be a case of a kid who wants to play quarterback in college and we probably won't be the one to give him that chance after the Means commitment.

In the case of Chumley, none have him listed as a quarterback any longer. He is either listed as an athlete or a tight end. I don't understand how he got such a high rating as a quarterback without great passing skills but apparently he did. At one time we had offered both Chumley and Jeremy Jones (San Antonio East Central) before Means surfaced. There was also another tall quarterback named Monroe who was interested in us but I believe that he too, is no longer listed as a quarterback. I see now why they offered Means; he was the best quarterback on the board.

• Upvote 1

I was hoping they offered Monroe from fb bush. I watched him play for 3 years. He and his twin brother are the real deal and are legit 3 star talent. Monroe had a lot of buzz after his soph season and was very high on all 2014 lists. Could gave been a 4 star with a big season. His Jr season was not as great as expected because his wr twin brother sat out 2013 and that was his top target. His brother is just as good. Teams are waiting to see if his brother is 100%. I know the family would prefer they play in driving distance to Houston. They are both listed on Houston preseason top 100. They prefer to play together and I was hopong UNT would be the first to offer both. They worked out at the Katy camp. The wr had a good camp and was the best wr out there. It would be HUGE to get the Monroe twins.

• Upvote 1

In the case of Chumley, none have him listed as a quarterback any longer. He is either listed as an athlete or a tight end. I don't understand how he got such a high rating as a quarterback without great passing skills but apparently he did. At one time we had offered both Chumley and Jeremy Jones (San Antonio East Central) before Means surfaced. There was also another tall quarterback named Monroe who was interested in us but I believe that he too, is no longer listed as a quarterback. I see now why they offered Means; he was the best quarterback on the board.

Yeah, Means is a big time pull. I know Tight End isn't a dire need, but I hope we continue to recruit Chumley. His size and athleticism would make him a weapon in the passing game.
  • Upvote 1

I was hoping they offered Monroe from fb bush. I watched him play for 3 years. He and his twin brother are the real deal and are legit 3 star talent. Monroe had a lot of buzz after his soph season and was very high on all 2014 lists. Could gave been a 4 star with a big season. His Jr season was not as great as expected because his wr twin brother sat out 2013 and that was his top target. His brother is just as good. Teams are waiting to see if his brother is 100%. I know the family would prefer they play in driving distance to Houston. They are both listed on Houston preseason top 100. They prefer to play together and I was hopong UNT would be the first to offer both. They worked out at the Katy camp. The wr had a good camp and was the best wr out there. It would be HUGE to get the Monroe twins.

Harry had mentioned that there were a pair of brothers who made it late to the Friday Night Lights Camp from Sugar Land. I was assuming it was Ronald and Donald. Only problem is we're most likely only taking 1 QB this class. Would love to have them, get Chad working on it!!

• Upvote 1

I think every class should have 2 QBs. Most never work out and/or get hurt and I'd be willing to bet that QB 's transfer more than any other position.

You can always move 1 to a different position.

It is a good insurance policy. Unfortunately it's hard for that second qb to jump on board knowing you already have a qb committed. Giving a guy like Caleb Chumley a chance to play qb at first might be a good idea. Then if he can't beat out Connor Means then you can move him.

Let's see...that would give you eight quarterbacks in any season. Two will redshirt and run (or split time) on the scout team.

That leaves four drifting because the starter and the backup are going to get nearly all of the practice reps. And, if the quarterback doesn't really have another position he's mostly idle for his career.

Quarterback is not like other positions because it's usually in the hands of one person, barring injury. They're also more specialized in that they don't receive and seldom run (dual quarterbacks do run more). Other positions often give backups substantial playing time. So, quarterbacks are usually slower than running backs, receivers or defensive backs. Some might be able to play tight end or linebacker but probably would need time to get up to speed with those who have played that position for a few years.

I could see circumstances where you might need to recruit two quarterbacks in a season. If one had a career-ending injury and/or one transferred for more playing time, for example, but by and large I think that only one quarterback per season should be signed.

Xavier Kelley left too? Wasn't he basically the top recruit of that class??

That recruiting class (2012) really needs to contribute this year. Davis, Clark, Kelley, and Feldt are gone. Our 3 stars (rivals) from that class have not done much yet. Feldt, Kelley gone, Lancaster injured for 2 years, no sight of Schrapps, DQ Johnson barely seen the field. Of the entire class, only Smith and Busby have made much of an impact.

I know it is early, but Mac loved to say how little D1 talent and size he inherited, so we must assume his classes are the ones to right the ship.

The redshirts are off. We need these guys to step up in 2013.

Honestly, why any of those guys were three stars was beyond me. Lancaster has the height and speed, but he greatly needs to get better as a receiver. Feldt looked good but you could tell he was playing bad competition and he was undersized for D1 although he dwarfed his opponents.

Of course some of those guys from that class will end up starting at some point, but that class may go down as the "depth class." I see a lot of those guys being able to provide depth so that we are able to redshirt future incoming freshman.

Doesn't look like a flashy class, but as long as those guys stay on campus and continue to improve they will be a big part of our turnaround.

That's Devante Davis.

Not sure about Kelly, but he was somewhat buried on the depth chart and a guy coming in like Chad Davis didn't help his position on the depth chart.

My bad. You're right about it being Davis that transferred out. I also agree about Kelly being buried in the depth chart. In my opinion he was undersized and unable to put big hits on receivers.

• Upvote 1

Not sure about him as a QB but I imagine his bro comes with him. Those are two solid athletes there. Good pick up

Im sure he will decommit if txstate does not offer his brother. A Texas school that offers both should get him to switch. Monroe can play qb. He will need some work like most high school qbs, but he can run and he uses his running ability to extend plays. His spiral is wobbly, but he has a good arm. If txstate can keep him and get his brother it will be 2 solid pickups and will be the highlight of thier 2014 class.

• Upvote 1