Minute Made Park - a review

In Houston for work, so decided to take in an Astros game. Didn't expect winter to get as far as Houston, so all I had was a short sleeved shirt and jeans to wear. I considered stopping and buying a sweatshirt, but decided I would get one at the team store if needed.

Yes, I completely forgot that Minute Made had a retractable roof. This was a very pleasant surprise for my comfort level, but also a very weird baseball environment. I guess I just prefer baseball to be played outside. Who knew.

Stadium was impressive from the outside and is right next to downtown. Inside, it feels like a generic baseball stadium. Even the fake choo-choo train with the fake pumpkins (or were those supposed to be oranges?) really didn't add to the atmosphere.

The stros played the Tigers and I sat third base line about 50 feet past the infield. Bought the cheaper seats further up in the lowest section, but was able to easily move to within 4 rows of the field due to lack of attendance. I'd estimate the crowd at about 13k.

Refreshments left A LOT to be desired. I couldn't find a bratwurst in the whole stadium, and for me, baseball with bratwurst just isn't baseball. Seeing a Pappa Johns inside Minute Made also cheapened the experience, especially when they refused to deliver to my seat (hey, your Pappa John's, after all. Freaking deliver!!!)

The concourse was tight, which I imagine it has to be in covered parks. But I still didn't like it.

The game was meh. We left with the score tied 3-3 and I still don't know or really care who won. Did get to see Ankeil turn a single into a double and allow the tying run. I guess the bright spot was that he hit the cutoff man...

Overall, I would suggest the people resonsible for the game day big league experience at Minute Made trade places with their AA subordinates in Corpus. Either that or go to a Hooks game. They may learn something.

Overall, it just made me very thankful for The Ballpark, which spanks the hell out of the sterile Minute Made environment.

But any night watching baseball is better than just about anything else this time of year. Even if it involves 2 teams you don't care about in a indoor, cookie cutterish environment.

If you have a chance to catch a Corpus Christi Hooks game or an Astros game, go with the Hooks EVERY time. A great game day experience along with a beautiful small baseball park.

The end.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How many MLB parks have you crossed off?

Rankings for me (so far):

1. PNC Park

2. Camden Yards

... large gap ...

3. Progressive Field (The Jake)

4. Nationals Park

5. Chase Field

6. Ballpark in Arlington

7. Turner Field

8. Minute Maid Park

9. Marlins Park

10. Old Yankee Stadium

12. Dodger Stadium

11. Angels Stadium

12. Kaufman Stadium

Getting harder to make it out as I don't travel for work as much and we have two kids under 3.

Rankings for me (so far):

1. PNC Park

2. Camden Yards

... large gap ...

3. Progressive Field (The Jake)

4. Nationals Park

5. Chase Field

6. Ballpark in Arlington

7. Turner Field

8. Minute Maid Park

9. Marlins Park

10. Old Yankee Stadium

12. Dodger Stadium

11. Angels Stadium

12. Kaufman Stadium

Getting harder to make it out as I don't travel for work as much and we have two kids under 3.

I'm in the same boat as you, have a 4.5 and a 2 year old. I am making it to Wrigley this summer though! Last new one I've been to was PNC back when the 4.5 was a little under 2. I'm suprised it's your top, but that's probably because right after we sat down the Pirates hit back-to-back-to-back homers. The crowd scared the bejeebus outta my boy. We didn't get to stay long. It is beautiful though.

Are you listing aesthetically only, or total experience?

I do have to admit that I was really impressed with the stadium in San Francisco. Other than the obscenely long lines for concessions, which made me go an entire game without a single beer, the park itself was really, really nice. Great sight lines from everywhere. Old school baseball feel. Not too many bells and whistles. No swimming pools in the outfield (leers accusingly over at Frisco).

1. Fenway

2. Camden Yards

3. AT&T

4. Wrigley

(Yokohama BayStar Park)

5. Ball Park in Arlington

6. Old Yankee

7. Safeco

8. New Yankee

9. SkyDome

10. Old Shea

Gonna try and hit up Target Field this year...maybe head out to PNC as well.

Edited by Censored by Laurie

I'm in the same boat as you, have a 4.5 and a 2 year old. I am making it to Wrigley this summer though! Last new one I've been to was PNC back when the 4.5 was a little under 2. I'm suprised it's your top, but that's probably because right after we sat down the Pirates hit back-to-back-to-back homers. The crowd scared the bejeebus outta my boy. We didn't get to stay long. It is beautiful though.

Are you listing aesthetically only, or total experience?

Cant wait to hit up Wrigley (probably hit US Cellular on the same trip) and Fenway.

I was rating basically on aesthetics of the stadium itself. Location, concourses, seats, stuff like that. But, grub and the overall game experience can also creep into that rating as I try to recollect them.

I do have to admit that I was really impressed with the stadium in San Francisco. Other than the obscenely long lines for concessions, which made me go an entire game without a single beer, the park itself was really, really nice. Great sight lines from everywhere. Old school baseball feel. Not too many bells and whistles. No swimming pools in the outfield (leers accusingly over at Frisco).

I've only seen the outside of AT&T. It was wintertime when I was there last. I'm looking forward to this one too.

Here's my list (I was wrong I'm at 23, forgot about Minn. until right before I hit "Post"). With a couple notes for flavor:

1. Turner Field: Favorite team, awesome ballpark, best pretzels

2. Yankee Stadium (old): Saw Red Sox v Yankees, the Derek Jeter into stands bloody face game – actually left before that happened (had to get to Hershey, PA)

3. AT&T Park: Beautiful as OGS stated, was there when Bonds was somewhere around 750 – standing room only in right field when he bat

4. Angel Stadium: Not pretty but an exciting atmosphere (year after WS)

5. Camden Yards: No other park is as beautiful, saw the cycle

6. Citizen's Bank

7. Busch Stadium (old): Great atmosphere - was at Cubs v Cards. First game for McGwire after his big injury. Came off the bench and jacked a homer into Big Mac Land. Neat-o.

8. Ballpark in Arlington: We all know about this one

9. Minute Maid Park: Loved it because you could see NL baseball close, now not so much

10. Coors Field

11. PNC Park

12. Bank One

13. Dodger Stadium: It’s been 20 years, need to get back

14. SkyDome

15. Oakland Coliseum: Yuck, but I have a picture of me in my Rangers jersey with the Oakland Elephant. Garlic Fries FTW!

16. Qualcomm

17. Tropicana Fied: Wife and I may have been the only people there, parked third row – for free

18. Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome: Gross

19. Miller Park: Tour only

20. Wrigley Field: Walked around it, heading there this season

Others, gone but been to replacement so not on list:

Memorial Stadium

Fulton-County Stadium

Arlington Stadium

• Upvote 1

Being born in Houston, I don't think MM Park is bad at all. I was there for the opening exhibition at "Enron" and watched Berkman pop a homer to right center. Even bought a brick outside the park. Having said that, I actually prefer the old Dome. I grew up loving that old place as a kid.

• Upvote 3

How many MLB parks have you crossed off?

Not many. Kinda new at it. The Ballpark, Old Arlington stadium (a dump I will always love from my childhood), Minute Made, the old Astrodome (minute maid is much better, but I was at the astrodome years ago), New Busch (nice), and Safeco (very nice). I will hit Petco field later this summer. That should rate pretty high just on a geographical bases.

Like I said, indoor baseball is just... Unnatural to me, so maybe the review was influenced by that.

Not many. Kinda new at it. The Ballpark, Old Arlington stadium (a dump I will always love from my childhood), Minute Made, the old Astrodome (minute maid is much better, but I was at the astrodome years ago), New Busch (nice), and Safeco (very nice). I will hit Petco field later this summer. That should rate pretty high just on a geographical bases.

Like I said, indoor baseball is just... Unnatural to me, so maybe the review was influenced by that.

Chase in Phoenix is very similar to Minute Maid. But I like it way better.

*Warning to OldGuy - Chase has a pool, so you may hate this one.*

Being born in Houston, I don't think MM Park is bad at all. I was there for the opening exhibition at "Enron" and watched Berkman pop a homer to right center. Even bought a brick outside the park. Having said that, I actually prefer the old Dome. I grew up loving that old place as a kid.

Second.

It's also a lot less sterile when the team isn't garbage. And there used to be better food in that park, I'm sure of it. Whatever Jim Crane's crew is doing now just isn't cutting it (though the club level offers a lot more to eat and drink). The beer selection sucks, which seems easy to remedy, given Houston has several high-quality local breweries. Texans games are infinitely better experiences than the current Astros offering, which breaks my little blue and orange heart.

And while I prefer open-air stadiums like The Ballpark (which I think is a great park), I'll enjoy my July and August baseball in the air-conditioning, not melting to the seats.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 2

Second.

It's also a lot less sterile when the team isn't garbage.

And while I prefer open-air stadiums like The Ballpark (which I think is a great park), I'll enjoy my July and August baseball in the air-conditioning, not melting to the seats.

Hey, I get it. Like I said, it was pretty darn cold last night, and that roof saved me from buying a jacket, but it just took something from the game.

Call me crazy, but I like going to the ballpark and sweating it out in shorts and a T shirt. That's baseball.

• Upvote 1

Hey, I get it. Like I said, it was pretty darn cold last night, and that roof saved me from buying a jacket, but it just took something from the game.

Call me crazy, but I like going to the ballpark and sweating it out in shorts and a T shirt. That's baseball.

Edited previous post, missed the part about food. Which I'm with you, 100%.

• Upvote 1

Agree with 90, baseball is to be played outside. That was never more obvious than my first time at the Astro Dome, and my one visit to MM.

I've been to Old Yankee, Old Tiger and Old Comisky. What impressed me most was while there in Detroit they told us that at one point in the 40's I think?,... that Tiger Stadium sat 80,000 people. I thought, how in hell could that be because the place was so small? Simply amazing!

Regardless, none of the other parks Ive visited are/were as nice and cozy as The Ballpark simply because it has everything many of the older parks had, it's open and easy to get into and out of, its very cozy and just a beautiful place in and out and mostly its here near home in Texas.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Heading to Chicago and Wrigley Field for two Cubs games later this month...never been. Should be great fun...got tickets in the bleachers for one game (who can go to Wrigley and not sit in the bleachers at least once...baseball blasphemy if you did).. Love Camden Yards. Got to get to Fenway soon as well. They keep screwing up all the great ballparks.

Arlington really is a great place to watch a game...no "history feel" for me, but a great place to enjoy a game. My favorite fields:

1) Wembley and Anfield

2) Munich

3) Ibrox

4) Celtic Park

5) Cardiff City

6) Coventry

Oh, sorry...wrong sport...now, where was I???? Oh, yea...I am with you on the Brat thing UNT90...but at Wriggly I best i go for the Chicago Dog with the nuclear green relish and poppy seed bun.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This was just a terrible, generalized review that doesn't consider the major thing...fan support.

Houston Astros have a huge bandwagon fanbase. When we were good, I brought a huge Rangers fan to a game at MMP. He thought it was the best. But now, the Ballpark in Arlington is better because of the fans.

Personally, I think MMP is a way better ballpark; feels smaller, more intimate, more unique, and way better in a sold out environment. I dislike the Ballpark in Arlington being outside immensely and it just feels massive and sterile; not to mention the summer heat.

Which ballpark/game would I prefer to visit now? The Ballpark. Rangers are good, fans are good (for now), just, a great experience overall. I have a lot of fantastic memories at MMP and I think it's a better park by far, but really only when we're winning; it feels like an empty hangar when there is no one there.

Either way, I think you made a rash generalization based on attendance and team performance regarding Minute Maid Park. It's definitely one of the better "new" ballparks.

To be honest, this review is totally expected; as Rangers fans do anything they can to trash the Astros despite them being relevant while the Rangers were irrelevant...for about 40 years. So, whatever.

But, seriously, generic? I find that hilarious, because just about nobody finds it "generic". Train is because it was built on a railroad station, and there are oranges in the back for Minute Maid. Name me other parks with a hill in outer field, a scoreboard as massive as ours, the huge window, our view out the window, Union Station, the flagpole, the visitor bullpen, the Crawford boxes...etc etc.

Go to a game, like, opening day or whenever we're good and I can guarantee you that your opinion will be different.

I've been to about 20 different ballparks, and Minute Maid is top 5.

1. Fenway

2. PNC

3. Pacific Bell (or whatever the Giants stadium is called)

4. Wrigley (current condition is embarrassing)

5. MMP

6. Kaufman Stadium

7. Jacobs Field

8. The Astrodome

9. Dodger Stadium

10. Ballpark in Arlington

11. Old Yankee

12. Turner Field (I know many don't like it, I found it impressive)

13. Marlins Park

14. Comerica Park

15. Nationals Park

16. Camden Yards (new)

17. New Yankee Stadium

18. Citi Field

19. Tiger Stadium

20. Safeco (wtf this stadium sucks.)

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

This was just a terrible, generalized review that doesn't consider the major thing...fan support.

Houston Astros have a huge bandwagon fanbase. When we were good, I brought a huge Rangers fan to a game at MMP. He thought it was the best. But now, the Ballpark in Arlington is better because of the fans.

Personally, I think MMP is a way better ballpark; feels smaller, more intimate, more unique, and way better in a sold out environment. I dislike the Ballpark in Arlington being outside immensely and it just feels massive and sterile; not to mention the summer heat.

Which ballpark/game would I prefer to visit now? The Ballpark. Rangers are good, fans are good (for now), just, a great experience overall. I have a lot of fantastic memories at MMP and I think it's a better park by far, but really only when we're winning; it feels like an empty hangar when there is no one there.

Either way, I think you made a rash generalization based on attendance and team performance regarding Minute Maid Park. It's definitely one of the better "new" ballparks.

To be honest, this review is totally expected; as Rangers fans do anything they can to trash the Astros despite them being relevant while the Rangers were irrelevant...for about 40 years. So, whatever.

But, seriously, generic? I find that hilarious, because just about nobody finds it "generic". Train is because it was built on a railroad station, and there are oranges in the back for Minute Maid. Name me other parks with a hill in outer field, a scoreboard as massive as ours, the huge window, our view out the window, Union Station, the flagpole, the visitor bullpen, the Crawford boxes...etc etc.

Go to a game, like, opening day or whenever we're good and I can guarantee you that your opinion will be different.

Easy.

Just my opinion. I don't hate the Astros. They used to be my national league team before joining the AL this year.

It's not a terrible park, just average in my opinion. The concessions are plain bad. And, like I said, being indoors probably affected my opinion quite a bit.

I get it. That is where you grew up watching baseball, so you will always love it.

Easy.

Just my opinion. I don't hate the Astros. They used to be my national league team before joining the AL this year.

It's not a terrible park, just average in my opinion. The concessions are plain bad. And, like I said, being indoors probably affected my opinion quite a bit.

I get it. That is where you grew up watching baseball, so you will always love it.

Concessions are awful. Fair.

I honestly grew up with the Astrodome, we stopped going in the early 2000s, but we went to a few in the 04-06 era, but then we had season tickets to the Ballpark in Arlington. I've probably been to more Rangers game as of recent due to where we lived and where I live now than games at MMP. Fair criticisms would be gimmicky or over the top...I just don't see sterile or boring, that's why I'm confused.

Edited by meangreener