This season's record

untjim1995

I agree with a lot of what you say... My point is Berglund has a huge upside and three years of eligibility, DT is a senior. Mac needs to win THIS year. Had we won a couple more games last year Mac probably wouldn't have as much urgency to win. Mac has shown us he likes to play mistake free football to the point that last year we NEVER even attempted to throw the football on first down. So, my thought is Mac will lean to sticking with DT early in the season. The good news is it appears that unlike last year, Mac will be able to keep DT on a very short leash this year because he has options. I also think we will have an improved defense which could help.

We see your point, but couldn't the fact that he needs to win now lean him more towards starting Berglund?

In the WKU game he and Chico couldn't trust DT to throw the ball. Many of our fans are hard to forgive DT, but you have to wonder if Mac trusts DT anymore than he did last year. He would've elected to throw on first down more often if he trusted his quarterback.

Also, don't forget that DT did have 14 interceptions. I know people like to blame them on the receivers, but that's a lot.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mac doesn't put up with that this year, because as you said it is a critical year. It's very hard to win when the opposing defensive coordinator and your own coaching staff don't respect the quarterback's passing ability or his running ability.

• Upvote 1

We see your point, but couldn't the fact that he needs to win now lean him more towards starting Berglund?

In the WKU game he and Chico couldn't trust DT to throw the ball. Many of our fans are hard to forgive DT, but you have to wonder if Mac trusts DT anymore than he did last year. He would've elected to throw on first down more often if he trusted his quarterback.

Also, don't forget that DT did have 14 interceptions. I know people like to blame them on the receivers, but that's a lot.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mac doesn't put up with that this year, because as you said it is a critical year. It's very hard to win when the opposing defensive coordinator and your own coaching staff don't respect the quarterback's passing ability or his running ability.

If we run the ball over 70% of the time on 1st down again this year, we will not win 4 ganes.

What you said about the coaches, specifically Mac, not trusting DT is dead on. We had nothing to lose last year against WKU, and Mac still refused to throw the ball after that interception. He refused to allow DT the chance to make up for that mistake. With absolutely nothing on the line.

The question is, does that tell us more about Mac as a coach or DT as a QB?

I would suggest that tells us much more about Nac as a coach. I doubt we see 1st down running percentages change this year, regardless of all the coach speak that has been thrown around.

Hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote 1

If we run the ball over 70% of the time on 1st down again this year, we will not win 4 ganes.

What you said about the coaches, specifically Mac, not trusting DT is dead on. We had nothing to lose last year against WKU, and Mac still refused to throw the ball after that interception. He refused to allow DT the chance to make up for that mistake. With absolutely nothing on the line.

The question is, does that tell us more about Mac as a coach or DT as a QB?

I would suggest that tells us much more about Nac as a coach. I doubt we see 1st down running percentages change this year, regardless of all the coach speak that has been thrown around.

Hope I'm wrong.

I agree that Mac wants to shove the ball down team's throats, but unless you run the veer (triple-option) offense 70% runs on first down is more than you want. Mac wants to run the ball, but he's forces to run it even more than he would wish.

I think Coach Mac went into that WKU game treating it like a bowl game. I agree that in reality we had nothing to lose, but Mac did not trust to rest the fate of the game in DT's ability.

I don't know if Berglund, Little Mac, or Dajon Williams will add more balance to our offense, but I just don't see the coaches all of a sudden giving DT much more freedom. They just don't trust him when it matters, and for good reason in my opinion.

Another YouTube look at Brock Bergland at bottom of page.

Do you really completely lose all the skills that you will see in this video?

Coach Canales is obviously key to this kid's development of which he succeeds. Personally, I
think he is the starter by mid season this next Fall.

I have no problem with our having 3 QB's. North Texas beat the Tennessee Volunteers over n Knoxville with a 3'rd string QB back in the day.

Time will tell but I do like BB's accuracy in the video and his ability to scramble. We can all hope and if the QB is still DT..so be it; whoever gets the job done.

I've changed to 7 or 8 wins this Fall which differs from my original 6 or 7 wins prediction. This is if all our North Texas players with NCAA FBS potential realize that potential. We may also need for a few other teams to have bad games and/or down years for us to get to 7 or 8. We will not have had enough consecutive winning seasons for our team to get Top 25 consideration, but that should still be an eventual goal for Mean Green football.

2013 Mean Green Football Schedule

Aug 31 Idaho (1-11).........................W...............Home season opener at "OUR" house! Also, a mismatch of talent with the 2 teams.
Sep 7 at Ohio (9-4) .........................L................Dog gone those first part of the season road game--yet a close game.
Sep 14 Ball State (9-4)....................W...............Again, they will be in "OUR" house and all our transfers and new faces begin to show their pedigree
Sep 21 at Georgia (12-2).................L................Someone take some good close-up pics of their sideline hedges.
Sep 28 bye
Oct 5 at Tulane (2-10)*....................W...............Brock Bergland takes over as 1'st string QB & lights it up in the Super Dome!
Oct 12 Middle Tennessee (8-4)*.....W................A typical MUTS/UNT shootout but being a home game before our fans will make a big difference here
Oct 19 at Louisiana Tech (9-3)*......W.................the Dawgs just lost too many seniors & starters from last Fall which was cause for Dikes to leave for Cal.
Oct 26 at Southern Miss. (0-12)*.....L.................a close road loss for the Mean Green
Nov 2 Rice (7-6)*.............................W................MG fans gets first ever look at the MOB and it's another home game win for the Mean Green.
Nov 9 UTEP (3-9)............................W................Last time we played the Miners in Denton it was a near sellout crowd--UTEP brings many fans to Apogee.
Nov 16 bye
Nov 23 UTSA (8-4)*.........................W..............Welcome to Mean Green Country, Road-Runners and an entire NCAA FBS schedule + a bye week to heal.

Nov 30 at Tulsa (11-3).....................L...............A close game, though.

Last time I saw North Texas beat Tulsa was on Houston ABC-TV affilate Channel 13 in ABC-TV's NCAA College Football's regional game of the week back in 1968; in fact, that is the last Mean Green win over the Golden 'Canes. Few (if any) in the new CUSA ever had such an exclusively televised game since ABC TV back then was the only network that televised NCAA Division One college football--except for the bowl games. I was a HS senior in 1968/69 and I think that may be the last time I will be alive to have seen us beat the Golden Hurricane since I don't think we will be on their future schedule after this season.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I agree with a lot of what you say... My point is Berglund has a huge upside and three years of eligibility, DT is a senior. Mac needs to win THIS year. Had we won a couple more games last year Mac probably wouldn't have as much urgency to win. Mac has shown us he likes to play mistake free football to the point that last year we NEVER even attempted to throw the football on first down. So, my thought is Mac will lean to sticking with DT early in the season. The good news is it appears that unlike last year, Mac will be able to keep DT on a very short leash this year because he has options. I also think we will have an improved defense which could help.

Why does he need to win this year?

Apogee isn't going anywhere. Neither is CUSA. So why the pressure to win this year? We need to find out who can play over the next 2-4 years, not just for one year. I'm not advocating sitting seniors but the younger players need to play this year.

I think there is no pressure to win this year. I'm not worried about the fickle fan base we have jumping ship. There's really no point to going 6-6 this year if we fall back to 4-8 next year.

This year should be managed with the eye on the future. I'm more worried about the coaching staff being patient rather than the fan base being impatient.

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 4

Why does he need to win this year?

Apogee isn't going anywhere. Neither is CUSA. So why the pressure to win this year? We need to find out who can play over the next 2-4 years, not just for one year. I'm not advocating sitting seniors but the younger players need to play this year.

I think there is no pressure to win this year. I'm not worried about the fickle fan base we have jumping ship. There's really no point to going 6-6 this year if we fall back to 4-8 next year.

This year should be managed with the eye on the future. I'm more worried about the coaching staff being patient rather than the fan base being impatient.

6 year re-building plans don't exist in college football.

This fan base is desperate for something good to happen.

2 reasons just off the top of my head.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 year re-building plans don't exist in college football.

This fan base is desperate for something good to happen.

2 reasons just off the top of my head.

We haven't had a winning record in almost 10 years. At this point, rebuilding takes as long as it takes.

The second one isn't a reason, it's desperation.

Winning now because we want to isn't much of a plan. Especially when we don't have the horses.

• Upvote 1

We haven't had a winning record in almost 10 years. At this point, rebuilding takes as long as it takes.

The second one isn't a reason, it's desperation.

Winning now because we want to isn't much of a plan. Especially when we don't have the horses.

If a coach can't get you the horses in 3 years, what makes you think he can get you the horses in 6?

Mac knows the deal, and he knows he needs to win this year.

• Upvote 1

Or what? He gets fired and we start over? We stop going to games? Apogee collapses into a pile of rubble? If we lose this year, nothing happens. Treating this year as all or nothing won't get us a better record this year. But playing a lot of youngsters might make us better down the road.

Dodge's last class included a lot of JUCOs so most of that class is gone. You're saying that a coach has to win with RS Sophmores? That first class was recruited late in the game. Which means we've had one regular class last year and an incoming class this year. We've had 3 winning seasons in eighteen years of FBS football and now we expect to win in year three? That ain't happening. Yeah, I expect that Mac's fourth recruting class would be better than his first. But his first two classes were average Sun Belt classes at best and to expect us to win with that talent is just unreasonable. Especially with a below average quarterback.

Has a coach won within three years before? Absolutely. I'm just not expecting it here. Certainly not after watching this team last year. If we had the talent I'd be singing a different tune but we don't.

We can't rush the quarterback and get below average play out of the quarterback. If Mac can win with that, he really is a genius.

• Upvote 4

meanrob, on 20 Apr 2013 - 01:04, said:

Or what? He gets fired and we start over? We stop going to games? Apogee collapses into a pile of rubble? If we lose this year, nothing happens. Treating this year as all or nothing won't get us a better record this year. But playing a lot of youngsters might make us better down the road.

Dodge's last class included a lot of JUCOs so most of that class is gone. You're saying that a coach has to win with RS Sophmores? That first class was recruited late in the game. Which means we've had one regular class last year and an incoming class this year. We've had 3 winning seasons in eighteen years of FBS football and now we expect to win in year three? That ain't happening. Yeah, I expect that Mac's fourth recruting class would be better than his first. But his first two classes were average Sun Belt classes at best and to expect us to win with that talent is just unreasonable. Especially with a below average quarterback.

Has a coach won within three years before? Absolutely. I'm just not expecting it here. Certainly not after watching this team last year. If we had the talent I'd be singing a different tune but we don't.

We can't rush the quarterback and get below average play out of the quarterback. If Mac can win with that, he really is a genius.

meanrob has the more sober account of what might happen this season yet I do underline and put in bold a key part of my green koolade'esqe post with this quote from, uh, myself:).........................(not sure I've ever quoted myself to be truthful)! LOL!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

"....This is if all our North Texas players with NCAA FBS potential realize that potential. We may also need for a few other teams to have bad games and/or down years for us to get to 7 or 8. We will not have had enough consecutive winning seasons for our team to get Top 25 consideration, but that should still be an eventual goal for Mean Green football.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Backing into a winning year depending on much of our 2013 schedule to be re-loading or just having down years is not the best way to have a winning season, but for next year in Mean Green Country it may be the "only" way we get out of our walk in the NCAA college football wilderness but won't most of us take that gift if it comes wrapped up that way? Didn't we go to a bowl game one year with (maybe) a similar scenario (plus every bounce of the ball which came our way)?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Right, because why should we expect to be the same as awesome powers such Ball St., who won 10 plus games, lost 11 ganes, and then won 9 games, all in the same time period where we have continued to suck in the worst conference in college football.

Even with the upgraded conference, it's not like we are playing in the Big 12.

So Mac's 1st 2 classes were average by Sun Belt conference standards? What makes you think that if we only win 3 or 4 ganes this season his classes will be any better? Kids want to win (Hell, I want to win). The longer Mac goes without winning at UNT, the worse his recruiting classes will get. If kids think you can't win, they won't come to your program. For proof, take a look at what is going on in basketball recruiting right now.

I don't mean this personally, but your thought process is exactly what is wrong with this program. We are little ole UNT that sucks at football, so we should just accept it and hope that someday, somehow we get to 6 wins and a bowl. Never demand success from anyone in the AD or coaching staffs, just let them coast along at their own leisurely pace.

If that's what we are and have no desire to be anything else, we will see MGC membership dwindle and the little fan base we have move on to something worth their time investment.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I never said accept losing. I said stick to a plan. I'm as frustrated as anybody with the losing. It sucks, no doubt about it. I know other teams have had success quickly but Mac isn't that kind of coach. At least nothing I've seen shows that he's that kind of coach.

If you want to bring up basketball, by that thinking JJ should have been gone after year three. We were bad in year three, why think anything would change in year six? In year three we were under .500, in year six we went to the tourney with 23 wins.

You can pull your "you're what's wrong with UNT card" all you want. It's a favorite move of yours. Why don't you actually look at the football roster and tell me why we're going to win now. Because "We have to!" doesn't sack a quarterback or complete a third down pass.

• Upvote 5

I never said accept losing. I said stick to a plan. I'm as frustrated as anybody with the losing. It sucks, no doubt about it. I know other teams have had success quickly but Mac isn't that kind of coach. At least nothing I've seen shows that he's that kind of coach.

If you want to bring up basketball, by that thinking JJ should have been gone after year three. We were bad in year three, why think anything would change in year six? In year three we were under .500, in year six we went to the tourney with 23 wins.

You can pull your "you're what's wrong with UNT card" all you want. It's a favorite move of yours. Why don't you actually look at the football roster and tell me why we're going to win now. Because "We have to!" doesn't sack a quarterback or complete a third down pass.

Your right. I can't look at the football roster and tell you why we should win now. And that is a problem. A problem of Mac's doing, at this point. Mac knows more about this roster than any of us. Mac also knows that the expectations are to win by your 3rd year as head coach. Times have changed, even from JJs third year. College head coaches make more than their bosses for a reason. They are expected to win, and win now. That is the nature of the beast, and to except anything less at UNT just tells your alums and donors that nothing will change.

But that is a problem that Mac has to deal with and find a way to get it done. Maybe he surprises me this year and does it. I hope so. Anything less than 5 wins and any other program in CUSA would fire him. Will we? I doubt it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think anyone is taking anybody lightly this year. Similar to Northwestern State and Steve Roberts playing TCU that time.

You mean those Northwestern State U Demons of Nachitoches, Louisiana, Harry? :) Yes, I remember that 1-AA team walking out of ACS with a win.

And Froggy Guy, below in bold letters are a few internet notes about TCU's attendance even during your team's winning years. You obviously were not around ACS during the Frog's decade and a half of losing years to see how even losing teams affected TCU's attendance.

One of major criticisms regarding TCU during the last several years has been that TCU, in spite of its great success of the football field and its location in a top-10 market, has failed to attract a large home crowd.

(I say: It's amazing how long it takes some area school's fans to discover they have something very special with their football team and then later in a season to finally start showing up on Game Day. Slow starts & early money game disappointments at North Texas have hurt our attendance buidling momentum--even during our bowl years last decade. In DFW, its best to have a good season start (with early wins) to have good season long turnstile numbers).

In 2005, in spite of its top-10 finish and 11-1 season, TCU only averaged 31,254 at home. (I say: Apogee Stadium would have had a large enough capacity for that Frog football team).

Again, in 2008, TCU finished at No. 7 in the polls and averaged just 30,389 (I say once again: Apogee Stadium would have been large enough for that TCU team).

From 2005 to 2008, TCU averaged just 30,897 fans. (I say: I think North Texas with a string of winning seasons will reach those kind of numbers with our constituency of close to 37,000 students, approx. 700,000 pop. in Denton County and over 200,000 NT Exes living in the Metroplex; in fact, it should be a piece of cake for UNT to get such numbers with most of those in attendance at Apogee Stadium still being our own fans since (as is always the case in our history) we will not be seeing many UT or OU travelling fans at Apogee to seal the deal on easy sellouts). IMO, our AD still needs to schedule the Texas Longhorns in Denton if possible to show all our DFW area Froggie fans and supporters just how easy it is to sell out Apogee.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

To add to your example, he didn't allow probably one of the best return men in the nation (Chancellor) to return any punts last year either. Didn't we chase off another coach with the same proclivities?

When it comes to returning punts, just the opposite of what you stated is true! Also, Riddle was not chased off, if that was your meaning.

<SoapBox> I really wish folks would quit stating that MAC, Chico, and/or the team don't have trust in DT because that is just plain false. If they did not, DT wouldn't have been the Starter/Captain for the entire 2012 season and wouldn't even be getting a chance to contribute this year. Fact, less than half of the interceptions thrown last year were on our quarterbacks, period. Every Qb makes bad decision and throws, even the ones that will be drafted this week.

IMO, Mac was hoping to put together a winning season and Bowl game in 2012, he thought he could make this happen without using his 2012 recruits. Mac wanted to allow his recruiting class to mature emotionally and physically under Wintrich. There were a number of guys from that 2012 class that would have been contributors if they were allowed on the field last year and our Win/Loss record would most likely have been better because of them. However, Mac made a decision and chose to hold those kids out with a focus on a solid 2013. I believe Mac has been looking towards the 2013 season since he arrived. For personal reasons, I did not like that thought process but I understand what North Texas is trying to do in regards to building a program unlike any we have ever seen here.

So far, BB scares me. Yes, he looks to have the skills but he seems to be to much of a gunslinger right now(lots of upside with a corresponding downside). I don't believe for a minute that Mac or Chico are looking for that type of QB for the 2013 season with the players they will have at their disposal. Could BB be used in some special situations(WildCat/GoalLine), I would bet the farm he will see the field in that capacity but not as the everyday starter baring injury to DT. As it stands today, I still think Mini-Mac would be brought in as the first Qb off the bench(two years of learning and running the offense). Brock is a smart kid and knows the offense on paper but he has not had the repetitions to put everything into action. His decision making on the field is still a bit suspect. Mac hates turnovers and penalties, he will rely on his defense to win a game instead of the offense(that's just Mac and his love of hard nosed football). I think Brock is the future starting Qb at North Texas but not this year unless the season goes south.

Derrick might not be considered a top level D1 Qb but he certainly is not considered a below average D1 Qb by those that are paid to know. You guys can throw out not liking his footwork, throwing motion, speed, and/or decision making but Derrick is a solid Qb, Leader, and Winner in every way. I trust the coaches to put the players on the field, that give us the best chance to win, every game day. We have 3 solid D1 caliber Qb's on the roster today and we will see if DaJon makes four in August! You guys can pontificate about wins/loses and why you like this guy or that guy but the fact remains, you make a living doing something other than evaluating D1 football talent!

<Off Soapbox>

GMG!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

When it comes to returning punts, just the opposite of what you stated is true! Also, Riddle was not chased off, if that was your meaning.

<SoapBox> I really wish folks would quit stating that MAC, Chico, and/or the team don't have trust in DT because that is just plain false. If they did not, DT wouldn't have been the Starter/Captain for the entire 2012 season and wouldn't even be getting a chance to contribute this year. Fact, less than half of the interceptions thrown last year were on our quarterbacks, period.

Derrick might not be considered a top level D1 Qb but he certainly is not considered a below average D1 Qb by those that are paid to know. You guys can throw out not liking his footwork, throwing motion, speed, and/or decision making but Derrick is a solid Qb, Leader, and Winner in every way. I trust the coaches to put the players on the field, that give us the best chance to win, every game day. We have 3 solid D1 caliber Qb's on the roster today and we will see if DaJon makes four in August! You guys can pontificate about wins/loses and why you like this guy or that guy but the fact remains, you make a living doing something other than evaluating D1 football talent!

<Off Soapbox>

GMG!

Did you watch the games last year? Our play calling was very predictable and restricted due to the fact that the coaches didn't trust DT enough to open up the playbook. Just because DT was the starter doesn't mean they trusted him, they just trusted Osborn even less and were pretty set on redshirting Mcnulty.

Judging by how few pass plays we called and how conservative our playcalling was, I'd say our coaches who are "paid to know" consider DT a below average D1 qb whether they'd ever state it or not. Also, it's pretty obvious that other teams' coaches who are "paid to know" think that DT is a below average D1 qb based on the 8 and 9 man fronts that we saw all year. You don't run cover 0 against an adequate qb.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Hey Derek,

What's up?

Brock is x1000000 the QB you'll ever be and even if he throws 4 INTs and 2 fumbles he always gives us a chance to win...something that your screen passes and dump offs don't do. Derek "Check-Down" Thompson is not D1 material...if you were, point to me all the other D1 offers you had. (Hint: None). Mac plays conservative because he knows you will throw multiple INTs and you have no spark to "put the team on your back" like Brock does if you get into trouble. Being captain doesn't mean that you're "trusted", just that you're a good leader which you may be. But many good leaders are terrible QBs...and you are clearly not a good QB. You struggled versus Texas Southern and FAU. Oh, and that pass you tossed into the stands vs Troy at the end zone was the butt of every UNT fan's jokes last year...not a good QB. But keep thumping your chest over your leadership skills and the OK (for a D1 QB) games you had vs Kansas State and the below average but better-than-the-typical game vs LSU. It's not very professional of football players to comment deceptively on their team's forum.

One last thing...winner? 4-5 games means that you're a winner? Not by any standard are you a "winner".

Do you ever think before you post? That had to be the most childish, uncalled for bunch of dribble I've read in a while.

If the coaches truly did not trust DT, he wouldn't still be the starter in spite of 2012. Hell, if you want to see who the coaches don't trust, his name is Brent Osborn. BB is clearly unproven and according to your staff (and from the practice videos and spring game) DT is the best you guys have. Instead of making post insulting and bashing your QB, at least give constructive crticism on why you don't like him under center.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Did you watch the games last year? Our play calling was very predictable and restricted due to the fact that the coaches didn't trust DT enough to open up the playbook. Just because DT was the starter doesn't mean they trusted him, they just trusted Osborn even less and were pretty set on redshirting Mcnulty.

Judging by how few pass plays we called and how conservative our playcalling was, I'd say our coaches who are "paid to know" consider DT a below average D1 qb whether they'd ever state it or not. Also, it's pretty obvious that other teams' coaches who are "paid to know" think that DT is a below average D1 qb based on the 8 and 9 man fronts that we saw all year. You don't run cover 0 against an adequate qb.

That's Mr. Thompson to you(Not really, no relation to the Thompson family)! Haha, Every snap of every game in person, how about you?

Restricted, all because of our Qb, OK nice thesis. You can't open the playbook when you lose what the staff considers your #1, and debately only, playmaker (well you could and our staff didn't but it wasn't because Derrick was the Qb). Please, MiniMac was marked for RS because he wasn't going to be the starter which, in your fuzzy logic, makes him a below average D1 Qb prospect. And BB is running 3rd string which again, in your fuzzy logic, makes him a below average D1 Qb prospect. I do not agree with your assessments. There are so many other things that show how highly the staff thinks of DT but carrying around Brocks and Trussels jock is fuzzing your brain a bit in my opinion.

The NT Offense, including Derrick, did not have a good season for numerous reasons. Although Derrick would tell you it was on him, the fact remains that our lack of success on offense last year included pretty much everyone on that side of the ball at one time or another. I know you talk with some of the players everyday, as do I, but that does not equate to what coaches think about particular players. All your opinions are based upon less than one year of review/results because I know you didn't see every game in person or otherwise. Offensive linemen do not generally make good Qb evaluators or Offensive Coordinators.

GMG!

• Upvote 2

Holy crap, Coog got a couple of "up" votes. And for good reason...that's one of the trashiest, bashiest posts I've seen. Everyone likes Brock's potential, but having a mature leader like Derek will help that potential become reality. I'm sure even Thompson thinks that Berglund has the potential to be a far better player than him, and wants to help him achieve all that he can. Why? Because this is a TEAM and DT is a great example of that. He's not perfect, no one is claiming that.

Derek Thompson is a senior, committed to the success of North Texas, on and off the field. He wants the best out of himself and others. If Berglund comes along well, I doubt that DT will hold it against him. But assuming that the potential and talent of one player means that another deserves to be treated like piss after years of hard work and dedication to our school is a terrible platform to stand on, and one you're likely to be toppled from repeatedly if you have a crappy attitude towards those dedicated to the same cause as you who may not fit your standard of success.

To restate what has already been pointed out, if anyone bashing Thompson is such a keen evaluator of quarterbacks, I'm curious to know why they haven't been hired as the QB coach. Obviously, if you know more than our highest paid (and one of the most successful at big programs) coach ever, they should put you on the staff.

As invested members of the North Texas community, I agree that it falls upon us to have expectations and take an active role in a sense, but being terrible and rude (even if not in person) to a student who has pushed himself and risks his well-being on a regular basis for the sake of a very tough, physical sport does not fit that role. Call out the coaches or the AD if you think they've made a poor decision and if you think you know more than they do about D1 football coaching. But don't put down somebody who does more to draw in alumni and donations than you are ever likely to.

If you really want to use that passion to have a positive effect without the AD's and coaches' interference, set up an event or fundraiser or something. Even trying to make something good happen without achieving the full potential of your idea is better than tearing down others as your scapegoats.

Edited by JesseMartin
  • Upvote 1

I had to add this instead of editing it in. Derek Thompson may not have had as many D1 wins as we would like, but he is still a winner to many of us. He's a great kid, a great example, and does his best. If you asked 14-year-old Derek if he thought he would ever be a starting D1 QB, not as a hope but as a reality, he probably would have told you no, but he would work as hard as he could to get there.

Unlike many of the D1 "winners" that get investigated and busted for taking illegal gifts, grades handed out like candy, robbery, assault, drug use/sales...I'll take Derek over that any day, even if it means winning less. I have more respect for guys like him than I do for the "winners" that won't play without handouts or backs turned when they act the way that many of them do. I'd love more touchdowns and less interceptions, but the pretentious little shits that don't realize what a great opportunity they've been given with their education at some of the "winning" schools would NEVER cut it at North Texas. We have better standards than that. And if those standards mean we don't try to break NCAA rules or the law in general to get "better" recruits who only want that kind of "appreciation", I'm glad to give up a few wins in money sports to have that kind of reputation.

If anyone on here has the mentality that our teams should "win, no matter what", they might consider enrolling at whichever school has most recently been found guilty of NCAA violations or had players arrested in a drug deal or robbery. I respect the ones who can win without the mentality where athletes are above reproach, but remember that the headlines are just the problems THAT WE HEAR ABOUT. Any time we hear about who got busted, and for what, of course we wonder how many times they got away with it.

I would rather we do everything right than just "try to get away with" something. So until we see what the others have on the field, yeah, I'll take Thompson until somebody else shows the chops needed in-game. Anything else should be beneath us, and trying to make athletes think that they should follow the course of some of these others should be beneath them. We're not just cheering for a team, we're teaching athletes to be good students and responsible men. Winning more games is a great bonus, but that's not our main focus. It's certainly the focus for Mac and Benford and Villareal and the rest, but for our community overall, we have to be about more. Otherwise, we teach young people that winning in a game matters more than losing in life.

That's Mr. Thompson to you(Not really, no relation to the Thompson family)! Haha, Every snap of every game in person, how about you?

Restricted, all because of our Qb, OK nice thesis. You can't open the playbook when you lose what the staff considers your #1, and debately only, playmaker (well you could and our staff didn't but it wasn't because Derrick was the Qb). Please, MiniMac was marked for RS because he wasn't going to be the starter which, in your fuzzy logic, makes him a below average D1 Qb prospect. And BB is running 3rd string which again, in your fuzzy logic, makes him a below average D1 Qb prospect. I do not agree with your assessments. There are so many other things that show how highly the staff thinks of DT but carrying around Brocks and Trussels jock is fuzzing your brain a bit in my opinion.

The NT Offense, including Derrick, did not have a good season for numerous reasons. Although Derrick would tell you it was on him, the fact remains that our lack of success on offense last year included pretty much everyone on that side of the ball at one time or another. I know you talk with some of the players everyday, as do I, but that does not equate to what coaches think about particular players. All your opinions are based upon less than one year of review/results because I know you didn't see every game in person or otherwise. Offensive linemen do not generally make good Qb evaluators or Offensive Coordinators.

GMG!

I know you aren't related to Derek Thompson, since you can't even spell his name right. I can argue with you all day, but you're never going to change your mind. I also realize you really like the word fuzzy.

12 home games of Thompson and the Houston game this year is what I've seen of him. I've seen all I need to of him to get a good idea of his skills, in my opinion at least.

You restricted my logic to what you want it to be, but I think Mcnulty and DT are below average D1 qbs for multiple reasons. BB is running third string because he missed a lot of practice, whether you want to believe that or not. He is the most talented, looked really good in the spring game, and showed me signs that he could potentially be a difference maker for our offense.

Like everyone says, he has the tools. Allow me to explain what that means.

Look at our redzone woes last year. In the redzone the throwing windows are tighter and close faster. This means you need arm strength, a quick release, and solid accuracy to complete passes in the redzone. DT struggles in all 3 of these departments which is why he was embarrassingly bad in the red zone, but BB showed me that he can fit it in tight windows this spring. Our qb was bad in the red zone, so were we. QB and offensive success go hand in hand. It is overwhelmingly the most important position in the sport no matter how you slice it. BB gives us a better chance, particularly in the red zone because he has the accuracy, arm strength, and quick release that DT does not, not to mention the wildcard of the running threat which DT does not possess as well.

That is why I think we will be able to score more points with BB at qb. I don't expect BB to be Johnny Manziel, just a qb who can get us more tds and lead us to more than 20.9 points per game (105th in the nation).

I also like Mcnulty's skill set, but I don't think he has the arm strength that BB. The jury is still out on him, but he appears to have improved.

Trussell is a good friend of mine. If you envision me carrying his jock around that's fine. I don't think he deserves to start. He needs to improve a lot on his pass protection, but he does have a lot of potential and looks good in the run game.

I played quarterback growing up as well, and got to spend a lot of one on one time in the film room with my offensive coordinator since I was the starting center, and later after I told him that I potentially wanted to coach in the future. Coach Rives at Arlington Martin has taught me a lot about offense. I'm not just telling you what I heard Mel Kiper say on ESPN one time.

• Upvote 1