Reporting from GMG Classic in Denton

Harry

Player most in need of practice huh? We'll see next year. Training starts whenever the soreness goes away. I'm guessing 4 days. Training starts in four days!

Ya know..

If you drink beer during the game you don't feel the soreness... just saying! I'm all good and well!

• Upvote 2

I want ,to say "thank you" to each and every player, referee, volunteer, guest helper and spectator who came out today to help raise a few dollars for our great Cheer Team students. And, to our sponsors (MB Designs, Kokjohn Long Snapping, Crosstimbers Equipment and Rudy's) a special thank you. You are all very much appreciated! And, what about Tracie O'Neal and our Cheer Squad and a great group of Cheer Team Parents? Greatness!

And, to those who made and/or donated silent auction items....you made sure this was a successful event.

It was the best Classic yet, and...the best game yet. May not be ready for the NCAA tourney yet, but close....

The preliminary numbers...preliminary...show we brought in just under $1800.00! That's really nice and we now have a min. $2000 goal for next year! Hope to see everyone back next year...bring your friends!

Lastly...thanks to all the athletic Dept. personnel who helped to make this happen. Would not happen without your help and support.

Great job players...this one was really fun....and, how about that coaching by Roger Franklin? Classic!

Great fun today!

Thanks to all...see you all next year!

• Upvote 6

We could go with this... I was thinking 5 on 5 full court but 3 on 3 would work too! I just am able to score more in trasnition on the full court because I don't stop (much slower now). 3 on 3 slows me up because I am not a ball handler. Nut could this be done!? :)

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If you guys want to turn this into a tournament go for it, but not my gig. This is a one-game deal. I think a tournament sounds great, but I am not down for being the organizer of it. Happy to help the organizer, but not my deal.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Great event, and thanks to KRAM for setting this up.

And as for a tournament, given how gassed everyone was through one half of the first half, I don't see how a tournament is feasible.Even cutting down game times would not be much help. Plus, it is nice for everyone to play one game and go out for lunch and drinks afterwards.

• Upvote 3

Set up a 3 on 3 tournament like the old Pepsi/NBA tournaments that were played outside in all the major cities. Charge an entry fee per team and set up divisions. Invite the Fraternities and have them invite their chapters from SMU, TCU, UTA, Baylor, etc... Advertise it in the Metroplex. Get a bunch of teams at $25 a pop and you can make a killing. Work with Rec Sports to maybe donate officials and off you go. Set it up in the Apogee Parking lot or use the indoor courts at the new practice facility.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Set up a 3 on 3 tournament like the old Pepsi/NBA tournaments that were played outside in all the major cities. Charge an entry fee per team and set up divisions. Invite the Fraternities and have them invite their chapters from SMU, TCU, UTA, Baylor, etc... Advertise it in the Metroplex. Get a bunch of teams at $25 a pop and you can make a killing. Work with Rec Sports to maybe donate officials and off you go. Set it up in the Apogee Parking lot or use the indoor courts at the new practice facility.

Only problem with this (besides me having to play against a bunch of 20 year olds) is liability and injuries.

I personally prefer the 5 on 5 full court (actually would prefer a 3 quarters court, but I digress) format we have now, but I'll play in anything.

I used to love the old 3 on 3 tournaments. Lots of room in the paint for a big man wanna-be and no zone defenses.

• Upvote 2

As I mentioned earlier...great idea...but count me out of arranging this thing. You have no idea how much time I put in doing the one-game event I do each year. Don't have the time or desire to expand it into a tournament. But, happy to be a worker bee for anyone who wants to volunteer to set this up.

Let me know who the first volunteer is to set this up, front the cash needed and run the tournament, and I'll be the first to volunteer to help. I like the idea and think it's great. Just not my thing to run and/or administer.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1