We have lots of company..

Who said anything about UNT being smarter? I'm talking about the IQ's of those who think the CBI is in any way a legitimate post-season tournament and the pure folly of paying to play in this crap ball of a fake tournament.....but, yes whine on if it makes you feel better.

A crap tournament that UT felt was worth going ON THE ROAD to play AT HOUSTON.

But we are way smarter than them.

http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_786191.html#axzz2OKETqLMI

Road teams, I believe, are invitees. I don't think they're paying (which is why Houston hosted and Texas played there), or at least not paying anything but their own travel expenses.

Hosting is an expensive boondoggle. If we got a road bid to one of these, I'd say take it. If we had to go on the hook for a potential price tag in the mid-six figures as a host, I'd probably pass.

http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_786191.html#axzz2OKETqLMI

Road teams, I believe, are invitees. I don't think they're paying (which is why Houston hosted and Texas played there), or at least not paying anything but their own travel expenses.

Hosting is an expensive boondoggle. If we got a road bid to one of these, I'd say take it. If we had to go on the hook for a potential price tag in the mid-six figures as a host, I'd probably pass.

The year to go would have been 2011. We had a split conference title and lost in the conference Championship game on a BS late 3 by UALR. We had been to the NCAA tourney the year before. We had a senior class that had done some great things for this program, even if one of them was a 5'7" shooting guard (that was for you, Tasty).

It would have been a nice reward for the players, even if we played on the road. And if we could have gotten a road game within a couple hundred miles, a nice trip for fans.

But no.

We had the split title with MTSU & Troy in 2010. In 2011 we had the mid February swoon, and basically got it together right before the conference tournament started.

That said I wold have liked to have played in it that year. Hell, I would have liked to any year. Butler played in the CBI last year. The same Butler team that played in the National Title game the two years previous to that.

We had the split title with MTSU & Troy in 2010. In 2011 we had the mid February swoon, and basically got it together right before the conference tournament started.

That said I wold have liked to have played in it that year. Hell, I would have liked to any year. Butler played in the CBI last year. The same Butler team that played in the National Title game the two years previous to that.

Ya, my bad. Still would have liked to see the 2011 team in the CIT.

UT = $100 million plus in revenue.

NT = $15 to $18 million in revenue.

We have to be wiser spending our dollar than UT does blowing their's.

• Upvote 2

Original topic: No Texas Schools in NCAA tournament. Article last night on Ch. 5 about why top players leave the state. Marcus Smart said it was attendance. Look at SMU, TCU and UNT. When TCU played Kansas the crowd was like a Kansas home game. SMU draws less than us. Our problem is that the people (the students) financing the program don't care. I think that there were fewer students than non-students at games this year. UNT is not the first choice of most of our students and UNT is probably not their favorite college program. They are still fans of UT, TAMU, Baylor or some other Big 12 school. It was that way when I was in school in the 60s. We never sold out Fouts, don't come close to filling Apogee. Basketball attendance peaked in the late 70s with Blakeley, and then at only about 5500. Johnny's last year was the first time we averaged over 4000 since then. We had some years when the average was below 2000. When you are recruiting a kid and bring him to a basketball game with 3000 in a 10,000 seat arena, then he goes to OK. State and there is a sellout, where is he going to sign? We are what we are. When the school had the MGC members stand at the last game, it looked like 3/4 of the crowd. Winning won't help; look at attendance under Johnny's 20 win per season. I am still going to every game, football and basketball. I haven't missed a BB game in about 6 years. I have seen every home game the players on the current roster played. But when the attendance is announced at about 3000, we really sold 35,000+, they just didn't show up.

--- I went to UNT in the mid 60;s .... Every weekday game old Men's Gym was filled to the max.... and we were in the Missouri Valley with Louisville, Wichita State (a power then), Cincinnati (NCAA winner in 61 and 62), Tulsa, Bradley, Drake, St. Louis, and others. The games were crazy fun... We had to get there early if to get a seat.. I hate to say it but after moving into the coliseum the excitement waned a lot. and plus we left the MVC later. The weekend games weren't quite the same,,, so many people left campus there was always some room..

--- For those who don't know the MVC was the best conference in the country at the time.... my senior year we had 5 teams in the top 10 until conference play started... and then they started knocking each other off. UCLA was the best team in that era but not in best conference end to end. The ACC was good but it was still all white and not as good as the MVC. Saw a lot of future NBA players in Denton in that era. The MVC regularly made the final four... and got beat by UCLA usually in semifinals..... which won about 10 title in 12 years, Texas Western ( UTEP ) and N.Carolina won the other ones. That was an era of only team per conference in tournament.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

The Valley has four NCAA national basketball championships ( I believe Bradley and Lousiville in addition to Cincy) & 16 trips to the NCAA Final Four. I think they also might have a couple of NIT titles back in the 40's and 50's when the NIT was just as big a deal as the NCAA tournament (the NCAA didn't become the THE tournament until the late 50's/ealy 60's from wheat I have read...and even into the 70's you had teams like Marquette turning down the NCAA to go play in Madison Square Garden).

Edited by CMJ

Who said anything about UNT being smarter?

Ummm...you. And I quote, "Or way to smart to spend valuable resources on a fake tournament for teams no legitimate tournament invited."

I'm talking about the IQ's of those who think the CBI is in any way a legitimate post-season tournament and the pure folly of paying to play in this crap ball of a fake tournament.....but, yes whine on if it makes you feel better.

Unless you're suggesting that those if us who enjoy "pure folly" are gonna underwrite the tournament participation you were directly speaking to NT being smarter.

Jesus man, I have a hard enough time taking anything you say seriously. Don't compound it by contradicting yourself in BACK TO BACK posts.

WSJ said in football season the ut football team makes $72M+ VS Mississippi's $10M when they played early in the season. I wonder where our figures come from?

I pay way too much for the club when you consider the food we get up there.

Edited by Mo Green
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1