Draft Express: Tony Mitchell

KoldBeer

I have to LOL at the -6 six to my comment above. Of course it is justified that he just sat there on the last free throw of the game and let WKU get a board and easy two to put it out of reach for us.Of course I am wrong. Oh that was under Johhny... he must not respect Johhny... that must have been it. That is why he jogged up the court on multiple occasions on D which led to easy 2's for WKU. Loser mentality is welcome at UNT apparently. I hope we get more players at UNT who jog up the court in the biggest game of their careers (to that point). That is what the fan base wants... I guess I dont follow where the bashing on Benford is coming from. It is ok for the most taented player ever to wear a UNT jersey to not give 100% int he conference finals but lose a game to a d2 and your toast. Where is the logic? We complain about losing but then try to justify lazy play. Go figure... only at UNT

He is a great player but there is no denying that if he hustled on one of those plays and rebounded that last ft we could have been dancing....

I think it's because you said he didn't "hustle at all". While he had some unforgivable moments in that game (the free throw f*** up being the worst), he had a good game and was a major reason that we were in it at the end. He took plays off for sure, but for most of the game he was hustling.

The offensive end is where Mitchell's regression this season was most pronounced, and the reasons why become fairly evident early in most possessions, as Mitchell is often content to stand and wait on the perimeter, not moving much without the ball and spending far less time trying to get open in the painted area. North Texas’ team chemistry was obviously extremely poor this season, as it appeared that the team gave up on competing at a very early stage, which Mitchell played a major part of.

What!? Did the writer of this article see two games?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I think many look at Mitchell way too critically. Ever player on the team occasionally "loafs". I think Franklin, Alzee and Hardwick are all high octane players, but yes they all take time off on the court.

Having said that, Mitchell had far too many times he did not run the court. He also is a very passive player on the offensive side without the ball.

His motivation has to improve if he ever wants to be a NBA player. His athletic ability is off the charts, but his skill level and motivation are questionable.

The best course for Mitchell IMO would be to rededicate himself and dominate CUSA next year. Many seem to think TM can turn it on a be a NBA level player. I don't see that, if he can't do it in college; is it logical to think he can do it with far superior competition. I don't buy the argument that he will be a better pro because he won't draw the attention he does in college. He may have been the focuses of most defenses this year, but frankly he was not that difficult to neutralize and most often by very average players.

Mitchell should like last year make the decision in his best interest. Meaning how can he make the most money. His stock is way down this year from were it was last year, I doubt it can go down any further unless there is an injury. So the question is, can he play another college year and raise his stock enough to be financially beneficial. Based on last season, there is no question he should take the money. However, if he can realistically significantly up his game, than another NT year might be again the best decision.

An aside, seen a few posts that opine a press conference points to him turning pro. Not necessarily, I have seen some that are called because they have decided to play another year.

• Upvote 1

I think many look at Mitchell way too critically. Ever player on the team occasionally "loafs". I think Franklin, Alzee and Hardwick are all high octane players, but yes they all take time off on the court.

Having said that, Mitchell had far too many times he did not run the court. He also is a very passive player on the offensive side without the ball.

His motivation has to improve if he ever wants to be a NBA player. His athletic ability is off the charts, but his skill level and motivation are questionable.

The best course for Mitchell IMO would be to rededicate himself and dominate CUSA next year. Many seem to think TM can turn it on a be a NBA level player. I don't see that, if he can't do it in college; is it logical to think he can do it with far superior competition. I don't buy the argument that he will be a better pro because he won't draw the attention he does in college. He may have been the focuses of most defenses this year, but frankly he was not that difficult to neutralize and most often by very average players.

Mitchell should like last year make the decision in his best interest. Meaning how can he make the most money. His stock is way down this year from were it was last year, I doubt it can go down any further unless there is an injury. So the question is, can he play another college year and raise his stock enough to be financially beneficial. Based on last season, there is no question he should take the money. However, if he can realistically significantly up his game, than another NT year might be again the best decision.

An aside, seen a few posts that opine a press conference points to him turning pro. Not necessarily, I have seen some that are called because they have decided to play another year.

money now is always better than money later. i think it makes more sense for him to go this year. from what i hear, this is supposed to be a somewhat weak draft and even if he were to improve with one more year in college, it might put him in the same area of the first round next year. plus, he's 21 this year i believe and would be 22 next year and each year he gets older the "potential" or "raw" factors means less and less.

for selfish reasons i think he should stay, but it might make more sense for him to leave.

Edited by Green Crazy

You're out of your mind.

He's able to dominate SBC competition for 1/2 a year in 2011-2012. He has a full year under Benford in 2012-2013, and he cannot dominate the same competition, with his same team from last year. What on earth makes you think he's going to do better in C-USA?

The Mean Green fan in me screams: Stay here and get better with another year of seasoning Tony! You've got a lot to learn before you're ready for the league. The league will always be there!

The Tony Mitchell fan in me screams: Go to the NBA Tony! Thanks for everything you've done here. You have die-hard fans for life. Bleed Green forever buddy!

Only one of them is right though.

It's certainly best for Tony to leave. And if you believe in doing what's right, you'll agree. Otherwise, you're letting your Mean Green greed cloud your vision.

You're out of your mind.

He's able to dominate SBC competition for 1/2 a year in 2011-2012. He has a full year under Benford in 2012-2013, and he cannot dominate the same competition, with his same team from last year. What on earth makes you think he's going to do better in C-USA?

The Mean Green fan in me screams: Stay here and get better with another year of seasoning Tony! You've got a lot to learn before you're ready for the league. The league will always be there!

The Tony Mitchell fan in me screams: Go to the NBA Tony! Thanks for everything you've done here. You have die-hard fans for life. Bleed Green forever buddy!

Only one of them is right though.

It's certainly best for Tony to leave. And if you believe in doing what's right, you'll agree. Otherwise, you're letting your Mean Green greed cloud your vision.

I won't argue the "out of mind" part, I have been following the Mean Green over 40 years.

I thought my post was clearer than what you apparently read. It was stated several times that he is going to have to significantly up his game in college for another year to be in his benefit. Something you apparently don't think he can do, but you do think that the Pros will believe he has potential enough to pay him big money to play NBA competition. Seems to me, you have to believe he can play at a high level or not; be it in the NBA or CUSA.

Again, if you read the whole post instead of just the sentence you highlighted, then you would know that I suggested he make the best decision for him to financially benefit the most. Does not that run counter to my alleged Mean Green greed?

• Upvote 1

Though I do find it a bit odd that his performance at the elite camps has been better than his performance this season, you also must consider the type of feedback given. If those are about positive reinforcement and attempting to develop him, and he does well, and his experience this season has been about having blame cast upon the team's star, then I can see how he may seem motivated to perform well on the court for Benford. But since all I've read is hearsay, and I haven't borne witness to any of it, then we should just hope Tony knows what choice is the right one. If this program's current nature is about the head coach battling his players and casting blame, then I hope he moves on quickly and remembers the bright spot he was in for his first year. However, if those reports are exaggerated or one-sided, then I hope he gives it another go and puts in a great year of effort to hone his skills to better serve his career as a pro player.

• Upvote 1