Signing Day Event At Apogee

KRAM1

Wow...what a great crowd at tonight's event! Best ever! Really great having the players speak and answer questions from the crowd! Lots of personality in that group and lots of talent. Seems to me that this group is ready to get it done and truly believe that they can.

Chico said he would be in the press box this year, and was really fired up about being able to open up the offense a bit with this group. Told me to look for some "different" plays on first down this year...

Bottom line...really fun event and well done. Got to think everyone who was able to attend was very happy they did.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Chico said he would be in the press box this year, and was really fired up about being able to open up the offense a bit with this group. Told me to look for some "different" plays on first down this year...

I'm inclined to think this is due specifically to having someone under center with some wheels.

• Upvote 3

I had a great time last night at Apogee! Easy to get in the football spirit with the pep band playing. I liked that Mac had the September & January Transfer / Juco enrollees present at the event and each one spoke to the crowd.

The question & answer session with the players was interesting. Hard to picture that Shawn McKinney who entered junior college at over 400 lbs was a high school tennis player and during the recruiting process Art Briles came to watch him play in a match. I played high school tennis and would have froze up if a well known D1 football coach came to watch me play. A question from the crowd came in about player's nicknames. Coach Mac likes to give all his players nicknames and when Shawn said his nickname at the JUCO was "SNUGGLES" Mac said he would be hard pressed to call him that!

Brock Berglund looked dapper in a sport coat and said all the right things. Seeing 5'9" 218 lb Reggie Pegram up close gives me the opinion that we have our 3rd or 4th and short bulldog RB who will run through people. 6'4" DE Quenton Brown looks very much the part of flying around an OT for a sack or running down an RB on a sweep! James Jones is not short on self confidence & personality and wants the ball in his hands on returns. Mac said that Darius Terrell is now in very good shape and has slimmed down some from playing days at UT. I like seeing his size at WR for us. Good to hear that Zed Evans' brother Eric is walking on the team as an RB. At the very least Zed should be a very good special teams performer for us if not a nickel back too. OT Justin Manu is quieter than many of the others but very much looks the part of being able to protect our QB. Grey shirt Andrew Tucker was also present in the group. I like seeing more recruits coming in from that East Texas football talent hot spot area of Tyler.

I am appreciative to the AD for putting on such a great event last night!

• Upvote 5

I am always puzzled by this "star ranking" system...and actually pay it ZERO mind as it is just a guess anyway of how these kids will be as D1 players after HS. D1, as we all know, is soooooooo much different that HS ball.

But, this morning I see the DMN has every recruit UNT signed with a Star at one level or another...1 (4 star) 1(3 star) and 21 (2 star). So, I guess if you are into this "star" thing...all UNT signees are "stars"! Go Mean green!

One guy got up and pledged to double his Mean green Club donation level if UNT beats UTEP! Greatness.....Mac wondered if I was running a dating service with my question to Shawn McKinney..."Snuggles" with reference to tennis....had a great time and am still way impressed with the crowd. BEST ever!

All the players in attendance seemed to having a really good time...and, I forgot to mention...Coach Mac was not wearing sunglasses!

• Upvote 3

I am always puzzled by this "star ranking" system...and actually pay it ZERO mind as it is just a guess anyway of how these kids will be as D1 players after HS. D1, as we all know, is soooooooo much different that HS ball.

But, this morning I see the DMN has every recruit UNT signed with a Star at one level or another...1 (4 star) 1(3 star) and 21 (2 star). So, I guess if you are into this "star" thing...all UNT signees are "stars"! Go Mean green!

One guy got up and pledged to double his Mean green Club donation level if UNT beats UTEP! Greatness.....Mac wondered if I was running a dating service with my question to Shawn McKinney..."Snuggles" with reference to tennis....had a great time and am still way impressed with the crowd. BEST ever!

All the players in attendance seemed to having a really good time...and, I forgot to mention...Coach Mac was not wearing sunglasses!

Please tell me who the four and three stars are... Brock was a 3* -- but he was here in the fall, doesn't count

Please tell me who the four and three stars are... Brock was a 3* -- but he was here in the fall, doesn't count

Brock still counts to this class because he came on board after the last class was signed. Otherwise you are basically ignoring the fact that the kid was signed here.

I got to Apogee just after 6 and the parking lot looked like it was a game day. I had to park well away from the stadium and walk. The "basketball" band played and the cheerleaders danced. A great event with lots of participation. I walked by Coach MaC and almost didn't recognize him without his now trademark dark glasses.

Now translate that energy to the field and let's win.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

Brock was technically a transfer, and transfers are not counted by recruiting services as part of any class.

He really needs to be the real deal for us to get out of college football hell. If he is the real deal, Chico needs to be allowed to run whatever offense best fits Berglund's skills in order for us to get out of college football hell.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

So was Stratford and Feldt.

Transfers don't count toward your recruiting class.

The Dallas Morning News disagrees with you as they included our transfers as part of our recruiting class. Transfers have rights to exist!! they are human beings!!

10-The%20Elephant%20Man.jpg

The Dallas Morning News disagrees with you as they included our transfers as part of our recruiting class. Transfers have rights to exist!! they are human beings!!

As does the Athletic Department. You have to account for your transfers somewhere.

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1800&ATCLID=206295090

• Upvote 1

All three transfers are listed in this class. Terrell was 4-star; Berglund 3. All of the rest were 2* according to Rivals. Of course, we know that Chad Davis was originally a 3* in Rivals, he, Nelson, and Scott were 3* on 24/7, and Ellis was a 3* on Scout. This was still not a strong class by any measurement other than the coaching staff but it wasn't quite as bad as the DMN version.

Some of you guys are really into self-flagellation. :thumbsu:

Uhhh, isn't that pretty much the definition of a loyal North Texas fan?

My wife has a running joke with me during football season these days. As I am getting ready to leave for a home (or away) game, she just smiles sweetly at me and says "sweetie, wouldn't it just be a lot easier If I beat you with barbed wire.....it couldn't possibly hurt any more, and it would be over with a lot sooner"....sometimes it's a temptation. .......... B)

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

Yes, they are. But many times the reason they left the bigger school in the first place is because they couldn't get on the field. Basically, that they had been judged unworthy of whatever star rating they had coming out of high school.

There are obvious many exceptions to the above, but I think the original star rating are more than a little tarnished with transfers, at least they are to me.

• Upvote 1