A Future CUSA Foe's Entire Ath. Dept. Mktg Staff & Plan

PlummMeanGreen

The following full page shows how seroius UTSA is in marketing their football program. Below you will see a full marketing department staff & services found on their official athletic department website.

Anyone else want to chance getting as blown away as I was after I finally got thru reading UTSA's entire page about their athletic marketing staff and all ancillary service groups under its banner? With their success at the turnstiles, didn't we all kinda' figure they might have a full marketing department?

With our CUSA membership, is it finally time for UNT to get in the game? We can only hope.

Anyone else want to make a small wager that this UTSA marketing staff has already begun marketing 2013 Game Days and ticket sales for Fall, 2013?

http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13100&ATCLID=205499850

UTSA Athletics Marketing :alien00078: They can't do all this--can they? No 5 to 10 year plan?

UTSA Athletics Marketing’s primary goal is to promote and increase support for all UTSA athletics programs and our student-athletes. The marketing focal point is on the development of sponsorships, programming and advertising opportunities that engage our teams, university and community; to promote the Roadrunners brand on campus; create a home-field advantage with an exciting yet respectful game day atmosphere; strive to maintain a positive public image and continue our work as the external affairs department to reach out to San Antonio as a whole and develop Roadrunners fans throughout the city and South Texas.

Corporate, Community Relations, Marketing, Promotions & Ticketing Staff :banghead2: (Hide the razor blades, please)

Name Position Phone
(area code 210
) Email Jim Goodman Associate AD/Marketing 458-5026 jim.goodman@utsa.edu

Stephanie Hill Senior Marketing Associate 458-4182 stephanie.hill@utsa.edu

Jason Gregory Spirit Coordinator 458-6662 jason.gregory@utsa.edu

Sara Wright General Manager/
Nelligan Sports Marketing, Inc. 458-6243 swright@nelligansports.com

Kevin Kassian Sales & Marketing Coordinator/
Nelligan Sports Marketing, Inc. 458-8035 kevin.kassian@utsa.edu

Sam Planto Assistant/Nelligan Sports Marketing, Inc. 458-8042 sam.planto@utsa.edu

Brian Fox Assistant AD/Ticket Manager 458-8872 brian.fox@utsa.edu

Charles Pettis Assistant Ticket Manager 458-6750 charles.pettis@utsa.edu

Aaron Johnson General Manager/IMG Learfield Ticket Solutions 458-4188 aaron.johnson@utsa.edu

Jon Blackwell IMG Learfield Sales 458-4164 jon.blackwell@utsa.edu

Jeff Eisenbaum IMG Learfield Sales 458-8511 jonathan.garfunkel@utsa.edu

Jonathan Garfunkel IMG Learfield Sales 458-8036 jonathan.garfunkel@utsa.edu

Sammie Martinek IMG Learfield Sales 458-4646 samantha.nakama@utsa.edu

Internship & volunteer opportunities

UTSA offers a unique opportunity for interested, motivated people to work within its athletics department. Our Roadrunners Internship and Volunteer Program provides professionals and students with valuable experience that will benefit their pursuit of a career in almost any field. Our internship and volunteer opportunities are awarded to people with initiative, dedication, a strong work ethic and a sincere interest in UTSA Athletics. For available positions, contact Senior Marketing Associate Stephanie Hill atstephanie.hill@utsa.edu or (210) 458-4182

HFBKKOHJWXCTFRI.20120629221302.jpgRoadrunners Sports Network

The Roadrunners Sports Network (RSN) works with Nelligan Sports Marketing, Inc., the marketing and multimedia rights holder for UTSA Athletics, to ensure our sponsors and our fans are provided with a quality broadcast and fan experience with our various media platforms.

RSN, in conjunction with Lone Star Productions, produced “UTSA Football, The Birth of a Program," a six-part episodic show that ran on FOX Sports (FS) Southwest. That collaboration is continuing with “UTSA Football Insider,” which will air on FS Southwest, along with other media outlets. For sponsorship opportunities for “UTSA Football Insider,” contact RSN Executive Director Jim Goodman at jim.goodman@utsa.edu or (210) 458-5026.

VGJLLPTRNTBWENM.20100713194659.jpgNelligan Sports Marketing, Inc.
Interested in becoming a sponsor of UTSA Athletics?

When you join the Roadrunners team as a corporate sponsor, you become affiliated with a university as solid in its athletics as in its academics..............Tabbed as “the rising star of Texas,” UTSA is en route to becoming the nation’s next Tier One University. As an athletics sponsor, you have the ability to target specific groups and demographics, including a population of more than 30,000 students and 3,500 faculty and staff members, as well as plenty of loyal fans throughout the San Antonio area and the Lone Star State.

By partnering with an athletics department committed to excellence, you can be assured that your sponsorship will effectively endorse, advertise and market your company not only locally, but also regionally and nationally. Known for its involvement in hosting NCAA Championship events, UTSA, along with San Antonio, has hosted three Men’s Final Fours, two Women’s Final Fours, a pair of Women's Volleyball Championships and a total of 14 NCAA Championship events since 1997.

If you are interested in becoming a sponsor for UTSA Athletics, contact Sara Wright at swright@nelligansports.com or (210) 458-6243.

About Nelligan Sports Marketing, Inc.

UTSA has partnered with Nelligan Sports Marketing, Inc. (NSM) to manage its exclusive athletics marketing rights. NSM provides sales and marketing expertise for sports properties worldwide. NSM is dedicated to building long-term relationships with clients through exceptional management of the properties represented and by maximizing growth through their corporate relationships. NSM’s high-level sales executives have a proven track record of exceptional revenue growth and management of the sports properties represented.

How to become a UTSA Athletics corporate partner

If you are interested in being a partner of UTSA Athletics and reaching the college sports demographic, please contact Sara Wright at swright@nelligansports.com or (210) 458-6243 to discuss the current opportunities available and a potential corporate sponsorship program. We customize every sponsorship to maximize your organization’s goals and objectives. UTSA Athletics offers a wide range of options to reach your market, including radio, signage, print, Internet and promotions.

AITTTJYVHHMIUCB.20120629221205.jpgJIYWQYDLDMREXUR.20120629221235.jpg

IMG Learfield Ticket Solutions

IMG College and Learfield Sports have formed a joint venture providing colleges and universities nationwide an outsourced ticket sales solution designed to increase attendance and revenues generated from athletics events, as well as choice and convenience when fans purchase tickets.

UTSA toppled South Florida’s start-up program inaugural game attendance record with 56,743 fans in the Alamodome on Sept. 3 and it was a larger crowd than several programs from Bowl Championship Series conferences. In fact, it ranked 23rd among all NCAA Division I schools on the opening weekend of play.

The Roadrunners drew a total of 213,126 fans in their six home games for an average of 35,521 and that broke the previous NCAA start-up program record of 33,038 set by South Florida in 1997.

IMG Learfield sold more than 10,000 group tickets for the 2011 season, which translated to more than $150,000 in revenue. UTSA has added more than 1,500 new season ticket holders for the 2012 season in addition to the 12,000 from its inaugural campaign. To date, IMG Learfield has generated more than $2.7 million in ticket sales to go along with $1.7 million in donations.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I don't get it. Is this supposed to mean something to us? Different schools ... different situations ... everything above means nothing to us.

It should. I seriously doubt UNT markets its Athletic Dept like these people do. UTSA knows what they are doing as evidenced by their seamless entry into FBS football.

• Upvote 5

I think their marketing plan is actually very similar to what we should have. We already do a good bit of this and just don't tell everyone about it. I had a marketing internship with UNT Athletics in oh, 2002 I think? Emmitt helped me with my projects and it was awesome. The one big thing that they are doing that I haven't heard of us paralleling (who knows, maybe we are and I just haven't heard) is the partnership with the firm. Paul L--something, the guy who turned our Career Opportunities Center around and helped direct it towards what it now has become, this is the kind of thing he really made a push for us to do. I don't know if he left for something better or got pressured to leave, but he was one of those guys who really passionately believed that North Texas could be the bigger, brighter, better version of ourselves than we had ever been. I think the big key to efficiency behind a plan like this is to have one or two internal marketing people liaise with the firm in order to provide direction as to the overall desired breadth and depth of the plan and then have the firm provide the legwork and details, with payment in the form of revenue sharing so that they are driven to do well and we are not paying anything out-of-pocket if the results are less than was desired.

• Upvote 1

Bottom line is that a UTSA'esque type of turnstiles success would solve about half of our problems at North Texas. Dr. Rawlins and the BOR's will need to eventually identify what the other problems are and act accordingly. Fact is, our school's name is never seriously mentioned with any conference expansion plans and that based on our continued failures to have over .500 W/L football season successes in Denton. http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/teams/nt.shtml

Some call a school's overall athletic success as being the key for being positioned for advancement. Apparently doesn't take much of it, either, as La Tech was positioned for advancement based mostly on the success of their last 2 football seasons. Not that North Texas would actually move to another conference, but when your school's name is never being mentioned in a serious way and an upstart's name is might that alone prove that there really may be problems in River City (to quote Harold Hill)?

Without a doubt, someone on high at UNT needs to see the problem identifying it without delay then do something about solving them; you know, like happens out in the real busines world where overall performance is key to sticking around for awhile?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Spending more money on marketing at UNT is not going to increase attendance at this point and time in our program. Right now, a 10-2 season, consistant winner or a win over a big name will blow away any marketing campaign for us. We have 10 years of suck behind us. They have 10 years of nothing. Nothing > Suck.

UTSA can spend money and print posters all they want but if they go 2-10 followed by 3-9 followed by 2-10 you can't spend enough money to market that program and fill that stadium.

It's all smoke and mirrors right now. They've played what? At most 6-7 FBS schools in a season?

They're a shiny new toy but unless you're in the SEC or another big conference, football fans have the attention span of a 3 year old.

I'm not saying they're not doing a good job marketing. They're doing what they need to do, but I don't see why we should be so impressed or concerned with their marketing campaign. They're brand new, of course they're pumping money into marketing.

Take another look at this admirable marketing program after they go 7-29 over the next 3 years and you can hear echos in that cave they play in.

• Upvote 2

UTSA has come a long way in a very short time. It is impressive. If they beat us this year, I will not be surprised. Their trajectory seems to be mirroring South Florida, for sure.

Here are my two caveats:
(1) UTSA really is in San Antonio; we are not really in Dallas.

(2) UTSA has not other football options to compete against in their metropolitan area; we compete against SMU, TCU, and the Dallas Cowboys.

San Antonio is a big city that didn't have football until UTSA erected their program. It has an element of newness to it. So, there are thousands of football fans to draw upon. Remember, San Antonio had a USFL team, it's had a long time bowl game, and it's had the Dallas Cowboys' training camp. This isn't a city that hates football.

Denton is not in Dallas, and it's nothing like Dallas. For better or worse, our reputation, perhaps holds us back. First, our legacy, in the eyes of many, is a losing one. Very few remember the Abner Haynes/Spider Lockhart/Mean Joe Green/Steve Ramsey days in Denton. Then, we dropped off the map into I-AA when the arms race for television contracts and facilities fired up in the late 80s/early 90s.

Also, the student body has a reputation of being more "hippie" than "social." And, finally, whether it aggravates us or not, we also had the reputation for being a commuter school.

I want things to change for us, and hope they do. I thanked Dan back at the May gathering in Plano for giving us hope again. I really do want him to get things done on the field. Off the field, he's swimming upstream alot more than UTSA or USF had to, given their built in big city metro campuses, football starved citizens, and shiny newness. He and we can't match that, so he - or, anyone else who is our head coach - will have to win and win big to get us on the map.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 3

UTSA has come a long way in a very short time. It is impressive. If they beat us this year, I will not be surprised. Their trajectory seems to be mirroring South Florida, for sure.

Here are my two caveats:

(2) UTSA has not other football options to compete against in their metropolitan area; we compete against SMU, TCU, and the Dallas Cowboys.

San Antonio is a big city that didn't have football until UTSA erected their program. It has an element of newness to it. So, there are thousands of football fans to draw upon. Remember, San Antonio had a USFL team, it's had a long time bowl game, and it's had the Dallas Cowboys' training camp. This isn't a city that hates football.

Denton is not in Dallas, and it's nothing like Dallas. For better or worse, our reputation, perhaps holds us back. First, our legacy, in the eyes of many, is a losing one. Very few remember the Abner Haynes/Spider Lockhart/Mean Joe Green/Steve Ramsey days in Denton. Then, we dropped off the map into I-AA when the arms race for television contracts and facilities fired up in the late 80s/early 90s.

Also, the student body has a reputation of being more "hippie" than "social." And, finally, whether it aggravates us or not, we also had the reputation for being a commuter school.

I want things to change for us, and hope they do. I thanked Dan back at the May gathering in Plano for giving us hope again. I really do want him to get things done on the field. Off the field, he's swimming upstream alot more than UTSA or USF had to, given their built in big city metro campuses, football starved citizens, and shiny newness. He and we can't match that, so he - or, anyone else who is our head coach - will have to win and win big to get us on the map.

Although UTSA is in SA, and UNT is in Denton, you're forgetting the idea of the "Metroplex". Denton is only the 11th-largest city in the Metroplex, yet it has over 50,000 more residents than San Antonio's 2nd-largest suburb (New Braunfels). There are SO MANY more people in DFW than San Antonio, it's ridiculous. So, even though we compete with other teams in DFW (I don't buy the Cowboys competition because we don't play on Sundays/Mondays, so no one has to chose between UNT or the Cowboys), there are SO MANY MORE PEOPLE here in DFW, that it counters your argument.

Need to win. Need to win against recognizable teams. Need to pull a ULM and beat a big-name SEC team once or twice. When we do, the UNT alumni will jump back on board because, "Hey, my school is a winner now! I want to be a part of that!". And we all know that the Metroplex is full of UNT alums.

Need to win. Need to win against recognizable teams. Need to pull a ULM and beat a big-name SEC team once or twice. When we do, the UNT alumni will jump back on board because, "Hey, my school is a winner now! I want to be a part of that!". And we all know that the Metroplex is full of UNT alums.

When that day comes, and it will come, the helmet design that day will be the best ever, the restaurants and bars on Fry and Industrial will be the Denton gold standard, Delta Lodge will exit the collective memory, and 80,000 of the 17,000 in attendance will publicly claim to have been present to see the win in person.

• Upvote 1

Here are my two caveats:

TFLF, again, speaks the truth...I have posted for a long time now that UTSA has the chance, if they really grab the bull by the horns here, to easily follow USF's path to a better footing in college football than we do. They are starting from the ground up in a big city that loves football and has no one else in their immedate city to compete with, just like USF had in Tampa. Sure, Texas and A&M will still get the majority of coverage in the media in SA, but just like USF, UTEP and TCU (to some degree) have seen, a big hometown newspaper and TV stations can really pump you up to your potential fanbase that wants to watch college sports at a decent level in your hometown. If they fall on their face and do nothing as a FBS program, then they will flop big time. But, should they beat teams that people have heard of and actually start winning and going to bowl games, they will be targets for the Big East and the MWC, the two leagues that I believe will survive as FBS leagues when the NCAA sickle finally starts to cut back on FBS membership. We watched UCF and USF both take advantage of being in large metropolitan cities in a state with lots of talent to move up the NCAA foodchain. It appears that UTSA COULD do the same thing if they can win in a similar fashion as UCF and USF did while starting up their programs. I do agree big time with the reality that Denton's reputation doesn't help UNT, as well as the fact that UTSA doesn't have to overcome severe apathy (yet) from its own fanbase, of whom have never witnessed a vote to drop football like we did in the early 70s or an actual dropping down of a program to a lower level, like we did between the early 80s. I figure that the i-AA years cost us at least two generations of fans, which is why we are building back up still from the jump into I-A ball in 1995.

If UTSA did beat us next year, that would be my final proof that maybe FBS ball just ain't what North Texas needs to be a part of. There is no way that a school in their third year of having a program should be able to compete with, much less beat, a program with 80+ years of history and in the third year of the current head coach's tenure. To me, that game should be on par with us playing South Alabama or Texas Southern this past season, obvious wins, even if we just sleepwalk thru the game. A loss to UTSA in football at this juncture should really tell us all that football just isnt worth the hassle at this school. Ther really shouldn't be any excuse for losing to them next season, even if we play them down there. Absolutely no excuses...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

good for them....they've done a great job! I really like their little chaparral road runner mascot...he is designed very well and has a lot of character....unlike like our monochromatic "screaming chicken" that is SOW.

I really wish we could cut and run from the bird and push "Mean Green" & the interlocked NT for our athletic dept...

• Upvote 1