Wednesday afternoon basketball notes

Harry

Wednesday afternoon basketball notes (Overlander update)

Caught a bit of breaking news here in the last few minutes. Clarke Overlander has a sprained ACL and will be out two to four weeks. Thats great news for UNT, which thought Overlander might be out for the year.

UNT cant afford to lose any more players.

And in other news, a few people have asked me if I have asked Tony Benford about any underlying problems UNT is experiencing in the wake of a tough season and a series of suspensions. Keith Coleman was suspended for a game against Troy, while Alzee Williams sat out UNTs loss to Louisiana-Monroe.

Yes, I have asked. Here is what Benford had to say:

Guys are making bad decisions. Thats all it is. That has happened everywhere I have ever been. It happened at Marquette and Nebraska. I told the guys we have team rules, you have to follow them. We are going to play to win every game. No one is going to give up. No one is going to quit. We are going to keep working hard and keep playing hard. I think the thing is still wide open. We want to get back into the race. That is our goal. Its a long season with a lot of games left to be played.

I think Benford has a point here.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/01/wednesday-afternoon-basketball-notes-overlander-update.html/