Competition

BIG DAWG

There are going to be some very good battles going on this Spring, and I am sure well into Fall. The best part about it is that in most of the position battles, there will be some quality depth to have people fight it out.

For as long as I can remember, since the DD years, we have needed and wanted competition, but didn't really have the guys to compete for spots. Many of the position battles recently have seemed to be won by default.

Take a look at the following, and it seems like we might have some good ones shaping up...

QB - Thompson/Berglund

HB - Jimmerson/Pegram/Byrd

WR - There are a host of guys, and the only sure one is Chancellor

RT - Anyiam/RS's/JUCO

C - Feldt/JUCO (this old be one of those default battles due to health issues w/ Feldt)

DE - Bellazin/RS's/JUCO

DT - We have a couple of RS kids that will be battling it out for Cantly's spot

CB - Chad Davis/James Jones/Whitfield

S - Busby/Buyers/Davis/Kelly/Lee/Marshall/Trice (I can't see Trice not locking a safety spot up)

P - ????

Should be fun!

Edited by BIG DAWG
  • Upvote 2

If McNulty does not win the 1st or 2nd QB spot in the spring does he get moved to DB or WR before the fall?

From the sounds of it, Kayden Kirby has shown that he will be in the mix at center as well.

If McNulty does win a 1st or 2nd team spot, get ready for a 3 win season. He doesn't have the arm to play QB at this level and should have already been moved to slot receiver or safety.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

OL is fine. RB is fine. TE is fine. QB is fine. WR is a problem if all we have is Chancellor again.

DL is on shaky ground unless the redshirt DTs are really good runstoppers. LB is fine. Secondary should be fine with everyone getting that good ol' "experience" year under their belts.

Punter is a wildcard. If that position is bad, it can kill you quick. Gotta hope for something good emerges there.

One positive is that there hasn't been a bunch of turnover in the staff, so everyone should be on the same page. That is, everyone should be on the same page - coaches and players - as to the assignments and execution.

I think 2013 is a big year. But, not as much as it would have been had the C-USA not begun to fall apart. Still, with everything as unsettled as it is beyond 2013 conference-wise, you just don't know. We could wind up with the majority of our "new opponents" being old Sun Belt foes in the long run. So...I just hope we can start beating whomever is on the schedule.

• Upvote 2

There are going to be some very good battles going on this Spring, and I am sure well into Fall. The best part about it is that in most of the position battles, there will be some quality depth to have people fight it out.

For as long as I can remember, since the DD years, we have needed and wanted competition, but didn't really have the guys to compete for spots. Many of the position battles recently have seemed to be won by default.

Take a look at the following, and it seems like we might have some good ones shaping up...

QB - Thompson/Berglund

HB - Jimmerson/Pegram/Byrd

WR - There are a host of guys, and the only sure one is Chancellor

RT - Anyiam/RS's/JUCO

C - Feldt/JUCO (this old be one of those default battles due to health issues w/ Feldt)

DE - Bellazin/RS's/JUCO

DT - We have a couple of RS kids that will be battling it out for Cantly's spot

CB - Chad Davis/James Jones/Whitfield

S - Busby/Buyers/Davis/Kelly/Lee/Marshall/Trice (I can't see Trice not locking a safety spot up)

P - ????

Should be fun!

What's interesting about cornerback is people forget about Hilbert Jackson. He led the defensive backs in tackles and was the first one to log 15 (v Houston) since 1999. He has some size at 6-1. With a pass rush he could have a big year.

What's interesting about cornerback is people forget about Hilbert Jackson. He led the defensive backs in tackles and was the first one to log 15 (v Houston) since 1999. He has some size at 6-1. With a pass rush he could have a big year.

Mr Jackson had maybe the second best highlight play of the year behind the "jailbait" screen by the jimmy show to beat the Cajuns. That hit on the lsu qb wasn't a remarkable play by hilbert, but he made the play. Maybe he disguised the corner blitz well... I don't know. It was maybe the biggest off the couch moment for me, with apologies to tons of plays in the ksu game.

• Upvote 1

OL is fine. RB is fine. TE is fine. QB is fine. WR is a problem if all we have is Chancellor again.

DL is on shaky ground unless the redshirt DTs are really good runstoppers. LB is fine. Secondary should be fine with everyone getting that good ol' "experience" year under their belts.

Punter is a wildcard. If that position is bad, it can kill you quick. Gotta hope for something good emerges there.

One positive is that there hasn't been a bunch of turnover in the staff, so everyone should be on the same page. That is, everyone should be on the same page - coaches and players - as to the assignments and execution.

I think 2013 is a big year. But, not as much as it would have been had the C-USA not begun to fall apart. Still, with everything as unsettled as it is beyond 2013 conference-wise, you just don't know. We could wind up with the majority of our "new opponents" being old Sun Belt foes in the long run. So...I just hope we can start beating whomever is on the schedule.

Will Atterberry was the near-constant silver lining to our offensive fourth downs this year. I don't see a punter on roster or commit list.

• Upvote 1