Breaking News: BE 7 decide to split

Harry

The Big East's seven non-football-playing members have decided to separate from the league's football-playing members and will announce it soon barring an unexpected change of plans, multiple sources within the conference told CBSSports.com on Thursday.

The New York Post is also reporting the news.

Read more: http://www.cbssports...pected-to-split

I say whatever happens this is good for us. If the Big East would have stayed in tact it would have just used the basketball schools to build up their non basketball school reputations and would have used it as a recruiting tool. This levels the playing field. If they poach schools in their new conference we will have to deal with that as it comes but we know the money won't be there like it was. Regardless of how this plays out the Big East split was the best case scenario for us in my opinion.

So the most probable outcomes are one of these two: 1) BBall schools keep Big East name which forces the Football schools to join other conferences since they don't have the qualifications to compete in championships, etc. right away as a new conference. 2) BBall schools join a different existing conference and Football schools keep Big East name. The new BEAST then poaches more CUSA teams and essentially recreates CUSA 2.0 Hopefully number 1 happens. If it does then there are two probable options: 1) UH, SMU, Tulane, and UCF return to CUSA 2) UH, SMU, Tulane, UCF, Boise, and SJSU move to MWC I'm hoping that #1 happens...but imagine all of those schools will not want to return to the conference they left and will go to MWC. If that's the case, hopefully our current CUSA will stay in tact and MWC won't try to persuade Tulsa or anyone else to go. As much as I really want #1 to happen, I don't see SMU willing to be in a conference with us (even though it'd be good for both schools), and I especially don't see UCF wanting to be in a conference with FIU AND FAU (although those rivalries would also be great for all three). Are there any other likely outcomes from BBall schools splitting that I'm missing?

You're close, the Big East name and the auto tourney bid for basketball will go with the basketball only schools who are splitting. The remaining football schools can either a). try to form a new conference which could be problematic due to the fact they lose their NCAA BB Tourney auto bid and the money is much less without the Big East basketball and name. They could try to lure C-USA and Mountain West schools to join this conference under the promise it will be the best of the rest. b. They rejoin their old conferences, ie Boise and SDSU rejoin the Mountain West and SMU Houston Tulane etc rejoin C-USA which would secure their NCAA tourney auto bids and offer similar money and better geography c). C-USA and the Mountain West make a play for some or all of them in an expansion move to secure a better TV deal... Those are basically the viable options as I see it.

One footnote: It would not surprise me to see the basketball schools invite Cincy and UConn to participate in basketball only leaving them as a football only addition to either C-USA or M-West.

Anyone else having issues posting? I get all sorts of terrible php errors Warning: file_put_contents(/usr/www/users/harry/forums/cache/skin_cache/system/emailWrapper.php) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/harry/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/systemTemplates.php on line 124 Warning: file_put_contents(/usr/www/users/harry/forums/cache/skin_cache/system/ipsDriverError.php) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/harry/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/systemTemplates.php on line 124 Warning: file_put_contents(/usr/www/users/harry/forums/cache/skin_cache/system/ipsServerError.php) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/harry/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/systemTemplates.php on line 124

• Upvote 1

Anyone else having issues posting? I get all sorts of terrible php errorsWarning: file_put_contents(/usr/www/users/harry/forums/cache/skin_cache/system/emailWrapper.php) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/harry/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/systemTemplates.php on line 124Warning: file_put_contents(/usr/www/users/harry/forums/cache/skin_cache/system/ipsDriverError.php) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/harry/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/systemTemplates.php on line 124Warning: file_put_contents(/usr/www/users/harry/forums/cache/skin_cache/system/ipsServerError.php) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/harry/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/systemTemplates.php on line 124

Yes, I've gotten that a few times today.

I think the announcement that Boise and SDSU are gonna head back to MWC is imminent.

And I predict that SMU's pride will put them on a far flung island with more "prestige". What their short sighted egos won't let them see though is that local kids who love home and momma won't want to fly to the west (or even east) coast game after game...especially when everything they've been selling on the basketball (and to a smaller degree football) side for the last two years has just walked out the door. Even the highly rated recruits they've been able to pull from out of state will now have no reason to come to Dallas Texas when the BE heavyweights are no longer on the schedule. So, Texas boys won't be interested because they don't play anyone local...and out of state boys will have no reason to re-locate from the BE footprint to Dallas.

Edited by emmitt01

Anyone else having issues posting? I get all sorts of terrible php errorsWarning: file_put_contents(/usr/www/users/harry/forums/cache/skin_cache/system/emailWrapper.php) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/harry/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/systemTemplates.php on line 124Warning: file_put_contents(/usr/www/users/harry/forums/cache/skin_cache/system/ipsDriverError.php) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/harry/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/systemTemplates.php on line 124Warning: file_put_contents(/usr/www/users/harry/forums/cache/skin_cache/system/ipsServerError.php) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/www/users/harry/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/systemTemplates.php on line 124

Me too! Oh No! If this is what we have for GMG.com now, I would rather have the Mayans be correct in a few days. Take me home Lord Jesus! I can't take life with a non-functional GMG.com. <insert unavailable emoticon here>

• Upvote 4

There is no realistic greener pasture for UNIT to aspire at this time, which means I can sit back, laugh my ass off at the CUSA/MWC defectors and watch them scurry about trying to save face.

We've got our spot at what, worst case, is the kiddie table, best case, becomes the teen table.

All I know is I have a chair and I wanna eat!

Oh, and I hope SMU ends up as an independent playing Idaho four times a year.

• Upvote 4

Dangit, Harry...why'd you have to go and provide a link to the SMU board?! That board is such a kick in the face with it's over the top douchebaggery....UGH. That said, there are a couple (by that I mean exactly 2) of folks over there who truly get that at some point they are going to have to draw ACTUAL fans to their sporting events or they are dead. The rest of them are stuck in the usual class warfare nonsense(ie: their 4 "tiers" of schools/conferences) and delude themselves into thinking they are "better" than most. Screw those guys.

Looks like the report of Temple not having blocking power was right.BB schools are going to keep the name, going to steal from the A10 and the ACC is going to suck up what they want.There will be no "new" league.

I believe you are wrong about there not being a new league.

Very unlikely that everyone goes walking back with their tail between their legs to a league that is worse than the one they left to go join the Big East.

They will either form their own trans-national league without the hoop schools or they will form a new eastern and new western league. The NCAA in the span of the collapse of the old Sun Belt to the formation of MWC took an expansive view toward autobids waiving requirements and changing requirements.

There is no reason for them to not bend the rule book again because it furthers the interests of the big money leagues because it moves the inefficiencies in membership further down the food chain into the WAC, Atlantic Sun level.

• Upvote 1

This must be fun for all new BE football coaches hitting the recruiting trail!

no clue who you're gonna play, what it is going to be worth... nice selling that uncertainty to parents and recruits

If I were a MAC coach I would sell stability like hell right now.

Even our coaches should immediately go a bit harder than usually after some of those recruits that might usually be hard to get against houston and SMU

Edited by outoftown

I believe you are wrong about there not being a new league.

Very unlikely that everyone goes walking back with their tail between their legs to a league that is worse than the one they left to go join the Big East.

You could be right. But if Boise/SDSU go back to the MWC and UCONN/Cinci (or maybe Navy) go to the ACC what exactly do the two time leftovers have to tempt schools over?