What should C-USA do now?

Harry

I voted to remain -- one thing to keep in mind, if the Big East gets the better television contract then the more teams that you have the more mouths to feed. What's wrong with sticking with the group you have unless you anticipate more defections which in that case you better backfill.

I personally believe we need to get ourselves into the Mountain West.

GMG

Had a person from the athletic department, back when we were speculating where we would be moving, say that the travel costs were the biggest reason for not going to the Mountain West. Remember there is softball, golf, volleyball, swimming, tennis, etc that also have to travel. Also, we don't get much mention in the Sunday papers OR ON THEIR WEBSITE as it is now, but late starts due to the time change would make it even less.

Edited by Green Dog
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Had a person from the athletic department, back when we were speculating where we would be moving, say that the travel costs were the biggest reason for not going to the Mountain West. Remember there is softball, golf, volleyball, swimming, tennis, etc that also have to travel. Also, we don't get much mention in the Sunday papers as it is now, but late starts due to the time change would make it even less.

The Sunday paper doesn't matter anymore. We have progressed out of the 90s. Now, if we don't make the website...

• Upvote 2

Had a person from the athletic department, back when we were speculating where we would be moving, say that the travel costs were the biggest reason for not going to the Mountain West. Remember there is softball, golf, volleyball, swimming, tennis, etc that also have to travel. Also, we don't get much mention in the Sunday papers as it is now, but late starts due to the time change would make it even less.

Yeah, well, things have changed. This is already not the C-USA we signed on for, and the C-USA we signed on for was not the one we had been trying to get in for the past 12 years or so.

If Tulsa goes to the MWC, it immediately becomes an unquestionably better conference than C-USA, if it isn't already. And I certainly wouldn't rule out Boise and SDSU returning, and if they do, Houston and SMU may not be far behind.

We have to be proactive.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Sunday paper doesn't matter anymore. We have progressed out of the 90s. Now, if we don't make the website...

TV is what matters most. Local broadcast TV news gets a far, far more viewers than even ESPN. You move the decimal point to the left going from any cable network to a local affiliate. And late starts mean you don't make local TV!

And while it is declining, the print DMA gets a LOT more readers than any of the online versions. Yes, it is moving toward online, but we aren't there yet.

For those voting for "reform the alliance with the Mountain West," what's the reasoning? I assume you are not thinking about a merger, but when the two conferences were talking about having a championship game between the two . . . what exactly would that accomplish? There are no more auto-bids, and the sole purpose of that was to get an auto-bid for the winner to a BCS bowl.

Can someone explain why Boise and SDSU would go back to the MWC? From what I've read, the Big East TV contract is much much much larger than the MWC.. If conferences are gaining new members to get in new markets because of money, why wouldn't a school stay in that new conference for money?

Can someone explain why Boise and SDSU would go back to the MWC? From what I've read, the Big East TV contract is much much much larger than the MWC.. If conferences are gaining new members to get in new markets because of money, why wouldn't a school stay in that new conference for money?

The Big East contract expires after this season I think and they are in negotiations now for a new one. Their current contract pays about $5M for all-sports schools, so yes it is currently more, but Boise and SDSU were sold on the notion that they would be in an AQ conference with a media deal that would give them over $10M for football only. That will no longer be the case on either front. They were also told that the Big East would get more western schools added for football. That has not happened and it may not happen as BYU and Air Force have declined. If the MWC is anywhere near comparable to the BE it makes sense to be in the MWC.

The Big East contract expires after this season I think and they are in negotiations now for a new one. Their current contract pays about $5M for all-sports schools, so yes it is currently more, but Boise and SDSU were sold on the notion that they would be in an AQ conference with a media deal that would give them over $10M for football only. That will no longer be the case on either front. They were also told that the Big East would get more western schools added for football. That has not happened and it may not happen as BYU and Air Force have declined. If the MWC is anywhere near comparable to the BE it makes sense to be in the MWC.

Well the MWC isn't an AQ conference either. But why wouldn't they stay for 5x the money? I would imagine that would certainly cover the added travel costs. If the argument truly is geography/regional schools, why would UNT ever go to MWC then? Other than, perhaps more money than CUSA?

• Upvote 2

The BE contract has not been done yet. And the BE losing Rutgers and the NJ market gives assurance that the contract won't be nearly what it would have been previously.

Boise was already showing buyer's remorse this summer, and seriously thought about changing their mind. If the contract isn't as expected, I could at least see the possibility of them leaving.

• Upvote 1