will cusa change

mgfan

Because CUSA chose to include Charlotte and ODU (taking us to 14) they did not allow for the return of more than two of the BEast transfers. So, without major realignment CUSA will not change.

If the Big East loses Rutgers, their TV contract at sometime will diminish significantly. So, I see little need to rush to the BEast, especially if you are out of their footprint. The main reason would be for basketball but there is a strong rumor that the Catholic schools may add other like institutions and form a new basketball conference now that Notre Dame has gone. Since they are in the majority they would take the Big East name with them.

Even if that happened how many of the Big East transfers would consider returning? Since it's beginning to seem that Boise State and San Diego State could be defecting, the Big East could pull in their horns and try to make a more regional conference, try to cherry-pick CUSA and the MAC, or give it up altogether. Whichever they decide they are the key player unless the 2013 members band together in solidarity.

I believe that there are six or more programs that can be at the least Top 50 teams in most years. Staying together, we can build a strong conference but if any of the now major players defect that will be much more difficult and time consuming. Unless you are offered by one of the 'Power Five' conferences, please consider staying put and building.

Why

Because CUSA chose to include Charlotte and ODU (taking us to 14) they did not allow for the return of more than two of the BEast transfers. So, without major realignment CUSA will not change.

So you think CUSA would say no to SMU, Houston, UCF, USF, and Memphis because they have Charolette and ODU?

• Upvote 1

The only schools worth a durn in SBC is WKU and MTSU... check the Bubas Cup standings. If C-USA is going to pull any more schools up from SBC, these are the only two who should be considered.

I agree. Whis is why the ECU situation sucks....they bitched and moaned about geography and CUSA was dumb enough to accomodate. So they bring in a couple of start ups to keep ECU happy and of course the first chance ECU gets, they bolt. MTSU is a WAY better overall program than Charlotte and ODU. I would argue WKU and Ark State are as well...

• Upvote 2

The only schools worth a durn in SBC is WKU and MTSU... check the Bubas Cup standings. If C-USA is going to pull any more schools up from SBC, these are the only two who should be considered.

Bubba's Cup/non-revenue sports are almost meaningless. It's all about football and, to a much lesser extent, men's basketball. Baseball and women's basketball may be slight factors. No one else considers the other sports when talking about the best conferences, except for those directly involved in those sports.

And C-USA has made its recent picks with almost no consideration for football strength, LaTech being the only possible exception. C-USA has to take that into consideration with any future invitations if it wants to preserve its credibility.

Unless they want to do a clean swap TX St for UTSA. I'm cool with that too.

:thumbsup:

+1

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Why

So you think CUSA would say no to SMU, Houston, UCF, USF, and Memphis because they have Charolette and ODU?

Probably not but it would make an 18 team conference which would essentially be two conferences. By that I mean that there would eight conference games within your division and allow for no inter-divisional games. There could be an alternative by forming three six-team divisions but the playoff would be awkward to arriving at a conference champion.

I think that CUSA screwed up by taking Charlotte and Old Dominion this early. Not that they aren't fine institutions it's just that I don't feel that they were qualified yet. In my opinion CUSA should have only added enough teams to return the number of conference members to twelve, then added Charlotte and ODU at a later date.

What's wrong with an 18 team conference/association. They could have a semi final playoff, they could sell to a network.

2 divisions of 9 with 8 divisional games (4 home, 4 away), 2 non-divisional conference games (1 home, 1 away), 2 OOC.

And if worse came to worse CUSA could kick the little guys out ( like the Big East did to Temple a few years ago.)

Shaft, it wouldn't work in that scenario. If the eight teams in each division play out of their division twice there is no second game for team #9. They can only play #18 because all others will have played out of division twice. You could have two members play three out of conference games each year and rotate the members but that would be awkward.

Also, I'm not sure that anyone could get kicked out. Remember, Temple was a member for football only. They actually belonged to the Atlantic 10.

If for some reason the math doesn't work for 8/2 conference games (but I think it does, it's just not a clean rotation every 5th year) you could have a 8/3 set up with 1 OOC or simply no out if division games.

And yes, the Big East voted to kick Temple out for sucking.