I hope everyone appreciates how good Johnny Jones coaching is.

UNTMike81

Anyone on the board really want to joke about firing Johnny Jones? I believe Johnny Jones will become Hadyen Fry like after leaving UNT and one day be recongized as a great college basketball coach. No disrespect to coach Benford I just believe JJ is a great coach. Not only can JJ recruit but the system he runs alway plays to the talents of his players.

I never expected in a million years to lose to a D2 team. I don't think this has happened in a very long long time to our men's basketball team. Man, I thought BB season would be different than football. It's early so the team can turn this around, but we need to do it now. Tony Mitchell will only be here for so long. I hope all of my great expectation for this years team don't go up in SMOKE!!!

Go Mean Green!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

UAH may very well get smoked tonight. But it is basketball. If one team is on, and the other is not, then anyone can be beat, as we saw last night. Upsets happen in basketball. And I guarantee you Huntsville won't be the worst team we play this year.

I had a really bad feeling going in to that game, based on them being a Princeton based offense, a veteran team, and the way we looked against Creighton, but I still thought we would take care of business.

Edited by CurveItAround

Johnny was a solid recruiter and a decent coach. He was not an x's and o's coach. I am not saying bedford is or is not this yet, I know Lundy is a solid x and o style coach. Johnny just never showedup come game time, but his teams always did. Bedford has my fait for now. I will always bleed green!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not sure what NT's bb play this year has to do with JJ. JJ has accomplish more than any other BB coach at NT, but he also fell flat a lot of the time. He build a program out of next to nothing, but failed to ever take the next step. What Benford does or doesn't do has nothing to do with jj, other than Jones left Benford a boatload of talent.

• Upvote 4

JJ is gone. His legacy here is written.

Anyone who remembers him fondly for what he did for us, how he built the program, and how he represented our school... I think you're a member of a pretty big club.

Anyone who wants to bitch about him or denigrate what he accomplished... Well, he's gone now.

GrandGreen said it brilliantly. The only relevance JJ has on this year is the talent level he let behind for Benford to work with. Hashing out old arguments is not going to convince anyone to reevaluate their opinion at this point.

Johnny was a solid recruiter and a decent coach. He was not an x's and o's coach. I am not saying bedford is or is not this yet, I know Lundy is a solid x and o style coach. Johnny just never showedup come game time, but his teams always did. Bedford has my fait for now. I will always bleed green!

He showed up enough during game time to never lose to a D2 school, thusfar Benford is 0-1 in that department.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The shit happens, ask Michigan when they lost to App State in football. This stuff happens. I bet they over looked the game an underestimated what Huntsville had. Watch Huntsville battle with KState tonight.

Michigan can afford the occasional bump in the road, because they have a storied program. Their fans will be embarrassed for a little while, and then they will continue on with their usual 100K fans showing up every home game. The reaction to Michigan losing to Ap St. is "wow! how'd that happen?" and then they shrug their shoulders and go on.

WE CANNOT AFFORD THE COMPARABLE SCENARIO FOR OUR PROGRAM, BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE A STORIED PROGRAM. The reaction to our losing to a lesser opponent is for the casual fan, (and students/alumni as well) to roll their eyes and say ...."well there goes North Texas....underachieving again".

Several years ago, I talked to a former Sun Belt assistant coach. I asked him about UNT. He said JJ always had better talent than they did but rarely left their place with a W. This is not an anti JJ statement or a pro Benford statement. In light of the comments, I thought it might be of interest. I applaud JJ's accomplishments, but as pointed out, he is gone and time to rally around what we have.

• Upvote 2

What have is a team that lost to a D2 school and only led Lamar by 6 at the half. Let's face it guys. We're disapponted in the team, Imagine how they feel? I guarantee none of them are happy being 1-2. I'm not ready to ship the team out.