GMG Marijuana Poll

Its important that if legalized it is regulated at the same level as alcohol. If you tax it too high or over regulate it, officials are leaving the door wide open to cartels and other nefarious people to continue a black market.

Edited by BeanCounterGrad'03
  • Upvote 1

Its important that if legalized it is regulated at the same level as alcohol. If you tax it too high or over regulate it, official are leaving the door wide open to cartels and other nefarious people to continue a black market.

Packs of cigs in Manhattan have gotten so overtaxed that people bootleg from Jersey or Connecticut and sell looseys on 5th Avenue for a buck a piece.

• Upvote 2

The only positive I see from this proposition would be the weakening of the Mexican cartels and street gangs.

BUT, it has become so easy to get the stuff, that I bet they drop their prices a ton (making it significantly cheaper than the taxed, legal kind) to keep their product moving and keep money coming in.

Then, there's the ever-present slippery slope argument.

I just don't think it is smart to open this can of worms.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The only positive I see from this proposition would be the weakening of the Mexican cartels and street gangs.

BUT, it has become so easy to get the stuff, that I bet they drop their prices a ton (making it significantly cheaper than the taxed, legal kind) to keep their product moving and keep money coming in.

Then, there's the ever-present slippery slope argument.

I just don't think it is smart to open this can of worms.

The tax they pay is the cost of getting the stuff over the border illegally in the form of lost product, which I assume is more than what the tax will be. Then you have product quality, which is probably far higher on the taxed and regulated product.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Most?!?!? Let's tap the brakes a bit here. powder, meth, crack. What good comes from those drugs? What other drugs would you be referring to?

Most. Probably not Meth or Heroin. Cocaine....ehhh....

I kinda feel the same way about drugs that I do guns: if you put too many restrictions on them, then the only people who will have them are criminals.

EDIT: A study came out a few years ago from British scientists who studied the physical, social, and economic effects of every drug. Stuff like marijuana and pure X came in lower on the scale than alcohol and tobacco.

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'm glad it passed, it's a step in the right direction, I hope some politicians take notice that the polls are showing more and more people in favor. The benefits to cancer patients is too much to ignore IMO. That said, I don't see any way the federal government is just going to give two states a "pass" on what is laughably a schedule 1 narcotic.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Most. Probably not Meth or Heroin. Cocaine....ehhh....

I kinda feel the same way about drugs that I do guns: if you put too many restrictions on them, then the only people who will have them are criminals.

EDIT: A study came out a few years ago from British scientists who studied the physical, social, and economic effects of every drug. Stuff like marijuana and pure X came in lower on the scale than alcohol and tobacco.

I have legal licensed guns. Does that make me a criminal?

• Upvote 1

I don't really get high, but yeah. Legalize, tax it like alcohol, and then use that to put some cash in the coffers.

This is a good idea. It's like the lottery money that saved the school funding crisis a couple of decades ago when it was approved.

Let's see, since the lottery scheme solved the school financing problem years ago, what to do with all the extra weed money that will be rolling in....

• Upvote 3

I'll leave the logistics of sourcing, distribution, regulation and taxation to others. I just absolutely don't think anybody should be doing hard time in the state pen for firing up a doob in their living room.

Companies would still be free to test, just as Scott lawn products tests applicants for nicotine and refuses to hire smokers.

I'm sure that driving under the influence laws already exist.

• Upvote 3

Here are my concerns with legalizing marijuana.

2) It sends a strange signal from a public health standpoint to legalize another way to smoke when we are trying so hard to get folks to not smoke or stop smoking. It is kind of like "hey don't smoke, but if pipes, cigs, hookas, and cigars are not enough for you, here is marijuana." And don't tell me that smoking weed isn't bad for you. Burning anything and inhaling it is bad for you. Period.

You can easily make a distinction between the nicotine intake vs. weed, right?

Now the smoke/carbon aspect, that's different.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure that driving under the influence laws already exist.

Yes, they already exist. But, that's not the point.

The point is, now you will drunk drivers and more stoned drivers on the road.

Or, not. Thankfully, someone in the Obama adminstration has a brain and they've promised to quash it with the federal laws already on book about marijuana.

• Upvote 2