HC Crowd

NT91

17,000 is a VERY ambitious number. Joe Blow fan has long since chalked this up to "same ol' NT" and even many of our season ticket holders (several that I know) are already making alternative plans for their Saturday.

Like it or not, the "progress" talked about on this board is t equating to wins...and those we desperately need on the bandwagon read box scores not GMG.com.

P.S. I saw where somebody said that a good expectation for next season is 5-6 wins. With the way that schedule sets up (VERY winnable opener AT HOME, games against Tulane, UTSA, UTEP and MAC schools) I would consider 5 wins stagnation at best.

If we don't get 5 wins, then Mac needs to be fired. Period.

I'm going to go to the game, but I've already mentally checked out on football season and am all in on the Texans.

And, seriously, now we're complaining about inappropriate lyrics?

OK Tipper Gore. Seriously, this is the old man board.

Edited by meangreener

I'm going to go to the game, but I've already mentally checked out on football season and am all in on the Texans.

Who says we don't have t-shirt fans? We must be ahead of schedule.

• Upvote 2

No, some of us like to represent our university and ourselves with class not derogatory language. Be creative not lazy. Dropping MF in there shows your lack of creativity and laziness.

• Upvote 1

I clearly meant next year. Try reading.

• Downvote 2

I honestly could not care less about the lyrics playing at that student thing during the game. If they're breaking some ordinance, then shut it down. Otherwise, if the worst thing my child encounters are a few unintelligible f-bombs over a sound system, then she's got things pretty good.

The child did make a few razor sharp jabs at a couple of individual students though. One looked like she had some substances other than alcohol coursing through her veins and was dancing by herself to no music in particular on the hill. The other was putting her assets on such display so as to cause my child to use the adjective "pointy."

OK, I've convinced myself. I'm all for students doing what students do (and based on the nostalgic admiration so often expressed for the Delta Lodge, so are most of you). But when it's family weekend or homecoming or some such thing, maybe those wild and crazy student groups would be better served over by the softball field.

At any rate. I tend to view my kid seeing such things as an educational opportunity. "See that girl stumbling around on the hill over there? That's the choice she makes. You can choose to do that, but it comes with consequences, often of the variety of hustling for tips in your mid-thirties."

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but the easiest solution to this would be a little more stringent ID checking. That would stop the madness right quick. Of course, it would also leave a gaping vacancy on the hill. Pick your passion.

Someday, when you are fully grown, maybe have kids, and you happened to look back at this post, you would be embarrassed for yourself.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Hope to God I won't shelter my children, so if I look back and am disappointed with this post, then I was a bad parent.

Lol. Give it some time kid...

My truck is wired with 1500w of Rockford-Fosgate power to 2 Boston Acoustic 10's (hit HARD for 10's) and Infinity Kappa Perfect components. I love bass, and any rap song bumps hard in there. When I'm driving by myself, I can turn my favorites on.

But when I'm riding with my 2yr old, you can catch me with the UNT Early Childhood Music CD singing Rickabamboo or Charlie Over the Ocean. And it sounds awful, but I'll be a suck-egg dog if I turn on any Biggie/2Pac with my daughter in there.

• Upvote 2

Amazing how one's perspective does change once they have kids, actually start to work to actually support a family and have many more responsibilities than does the average college student. And, yes, college is THAT time when people seem to try to "grow up" and many do so pretty "strange things"...yes, I can relate to all that.....but, once the facts of trying to raise kids, earn a living, pay taxes, etc. hits home, things do change. Just wait until some kid yells obscenities around your 6 -10 year old and you have to try to explain why he/she can't do that while others can...and try to answer why their parents did not teach them any better. ha! True story...it happens.

I truly TRULY hope these folks keep this thread and read it back a few years from now. In the meantime, i guess those who "know better" should probably stop trying to explain....experience will eventually be the best teacher! That and the fact that most of these folks will eventually grow up...MOST!

Hope to God I won't shelter my children, so if I look back and am disappointed with this post, then I was a bad parent.

I know I'm talking to a brick wall, but there is a difference in sheltering a child, which I don't, and teaching them how to conduct themselves in public. Sometime in the future, I hope it hits you, but with each of your replies I lose a little more faith.

• Upvote 1

Amazing how one's perspective does change once they have kids,

Many things can change one's perspective. For example, I no longer live in the sheltered bubble that was Frisco. My daughter comes home and tells me what gangs her classmates' parents are in, and whose dad just got back from doing time. She tells me that her conversations with her mother don't wander beyond the latest movies and pop music, so when it comes to deeper conversation, I'm it. It is simply not possible for me to cover her ears, or hide her eyes, so I'm forced to take the alternate route -- honest communication. I know, weird, huh?

So my perspective has changed too. I have a kid, by myself, and limited resources force me to pick my battles. A little rap music on the hill? Pretty minor on the grand scale for me.

Results so far? Kid's in all pre-AP classes, never gotten a B, flirting with the middle school jazz band, never been in any kind of trouble, and I would think you'd find her quite polite and engaging should you meet her at a tailgate. She's gonna' be a very savvy adult as long as I can keep her focused and aware of actions and consequences.

But I digress. This is a football thread. Her spiral kinda' sucks.

Many things can change one's perspective. For example, I no longer live in the sheltered bubble that was Frisco. My daughter comes home and tells me what gangs her classmates' parents are in, and whose dad just got back from doing time. She tells me that her conversations with her mother don't wander beyond the latest movies and pop music, so when it comes to deeper conversation, I'm it. It is simply not possible for me to cover her ears, or hide her eyes, so I'm forced to take the alternate route -- honest communication. I know, weird, huh?

So my perspective has changed too. I have a kid, by myself, and limited resources force me to pick my battles. A little rap music on the hill? Pretty minor on the grand scale for me.

Results so far? Kid's in all pre-AP classes, never gotten a B, flirting with the middle school jazz band, never been in any kind of trouble, and I would think you'd find her quite polite and engaging should you meet her at a tailgate. She's gonna' be a very savvy adult as long as I can keep her focused and aware of actions and consequences.

But I digress. This is a football thread. Her spiral kinda' sucks.

Exactly. Out of all the problems in the world, the F word isn't a big deal. Kids in the DFW area are so sheltered with fake conservative bubbles like Keller, Southlake and Frisco that they bury their heads in the sand once they hit high school and start using every profanity in the book because they weren't introduced to them at a young age. What a joke.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Regarding the music on the hill...it's a football game--there's going to be drinking and profanity. If that's such a massive problem for your family then the easy solution would be to go in somewhere other than through the tailgating area.

If you want this to be a real program with actual crowds then that party element is going to be there, as it is at any legitimate program in the country.

• Upvote 1

Regarding the music on the hill...it's a football game--there's going to be drinking and profanity. If that's such a massive problem for your family then the easy solution would be to go in somewhere other than through the tailgating area.

If you want this to be a real program with actual crowds then that party element is going to be there, as it is at any legitimate program in the country.

This x1000. People on here want us to stay small time, no tailgating, no profanity in the stadium, etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

This x1000. People on here want us to stay small time, no tailgating, no profanity in the stadium, etc.

Oh!

Because adding <MF'ing> into the fight song is what ALL Big time schools do!

I'm so glad we're aspiring to be big time!!!!1!

And who in the world is advocating no tailgating???

I PROMISE dude: One day you will look back and think, "Wow, that was really stupid."

• Upvote 2

I am not sure how people's children who grow up on the East coast can turn out so well because of the accepted use of profanity in the major metro areas there. They all have to be a bunch of heathens.

Language is language. If you are worried about the wording, language, or context of any dialect, you are worrying about the wrong things. Fight the understanding and application and perception of words, not their usage. I find the upraised stance on profanity hilarious because it is just a further reverberation of the political, religious and socioeconomic background of one generation coming into conflict with another. Boy doesn't this sound familiar? That damn rock n roll is turning all our kids into criminals. All that crazy partying and flower child stuff is making our kids into drugged out loosers. All that heavy metal is making our kids kill themselves.. All that rap is making our kids into gangsters.. All that damn Justin Beeber music is making are kids soft...

I understand the right to let parents raise their children how they want. I also understand the right of people having free speech and and the ability to express themselves as they see fit. I understand that what comes from the parent is the greatest influence on a child, not the isolated interactions from outside the home of adverse stimuli.

Don't even bother anymore. The super parents will come on here and say that hearing profane rap on the hill and seeing drunk college kids is going to somehow harm their child's development.

How do you solve the problem?

Don't bring them to a college football game if you don't want them to experience college life.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Don't even bother anymore. The super parents will come on here and say that hearing profane rap on the hill and seeing drunk college kids is going to somehow harm their child's development.

How do you solve the problem?

Don't bring them to a college football game if you don't want them to experience college life.

Thought you were out of here Ryan.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You HAVE to let the students do their own thing. I'll admit that one could go without adding the MFing in the Fight Song but at the same time, it's not the biggest problem in the world. Whorn says "give em hell give em hell, make em eat shit" in their fight song and nobody complains.

Point being, as others have mentioned earlier in the thread, if you take your kids to a college football game, unless it's BYU, there's going to be drinking and partying going on at tailgate. Parents take children to UT, Bama,West Virginia, Boise, etc. games all the time and none of them complain about what posters here are complaining about.

Cannibalizing and demonizing students will only lead to destruction. Embrace them, don't push them away.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1