MUTS Coach on UNT Game

Harry

COACH RICK STOCKSTILL: We have North Texas coming up this Saturday, and they are coming off an emotional win last week over ULL. They will come in here with a lot of confidence. We are both 2-1 in the conference along with three others, so it is a critical game. We'll have to play extremely well.

They are doing a great job of running the ball, and I think they are under-rated in passing the ball. They throw it 26 to 27 times a game, and have thrown it over 200 yards in five straight games. In the past couple of years, they had Lance Dunbar, who was their "bell cow" and he got the majority of the reps. Now they are pretty evenly balanced. They have two really good backs that can run, they are good in the screen game, and they have good speed. They'll use them more in the passing game than they did with Dunbar in the past. 

(On how MT running backs did last week without Benny Cunningham): I thought all of those guys did a nice job, Jordan (Parker) ran hard and had some explosive runs, a couple of them over ten yards. Reggie Whatley and Drayton Calhoun also had some nice runs. Drayton ran better than his stats and was the victim of a missed block and a holding penalty. Jeremiah (Bryson) had some nice runs as well. All four of those guys have also improved in pass protection than what they were in previous games, and they will only continue to get better. I was pleased with the production of the running backs.

Even with the absence of Benny, we are still the same offense. Each game is going to be different, but we still want to be as balanced as we can in passing and throwing.

Read more: http://www.goblueraiders.com/content.cfm/id/63594

Since we only have 2 running backs, who is being slighted? Brown, Byrd, or Jim Jim? (mostly kidding here...mostly)

This game should be a very interesting contest. Does momentum matter?

How will Delgato's hammy feel this week?

Will our O-line continue its string of very solid showings? Sack numbers and run blocking?

How will our d hold up against the MTSU offense?

Can't wait.

GMG

I think our overall D will do fine, however MUTS would be blind to not see our lack of pass rush. ULL's DC and Skladany for that matter have seemed to prefer death by a thousand cuts as opposed to Blitzing the linebackers and secondary. I think we need another Hilbert Jackson LSU corner blitz early in this game!

I think our overall D will do fine, however MUTS would be blind to not see our lack of pass rush. ULL's DC and Skladany for that matter have seemed to prefer death by a thousand cuts as opposed to Blitzing the linebackers and secondary. I think we need another Hilbert Jackson LSU corner blitz early in this game!

Just because their coach didn't mention it doesn't mean he hasn't notice our lack of pass rush.

• Upvote 1

I know Brown is supposedly the fastest on the team, but I finally saw flashes of it against LaLa. It's deceptive, no? If he can get a little more space to work with, he might be gone.

I see the three of them as such:

Byrd: the solid up the gut back who wears you completely down. Though his few outside plays tend to be the most exciting and explosive of his own runs.

Jimmerson: From field performance, he has to be the fastest. And the slipperiest. And the absolutely most aware player on the field. His vision got that last (counted) TD for sure.

Brown: He's just a hoss. His grit and strength continually carries 2-3 tacklers for 4-5 yards on big runs. When he gets loose, yeah he's fast, but it's his trucking that makes him invaluable.

Edited by Christopher Walker