41-14 = Dramatic UNT Improvement

Harry

After having a couple of days to digest the game I'm going to go on the record and say I am VERY pleased with where this program is and where it is going under Mac's leadership.

This is an LSU team that would have likely ran up 70 points against a Dodge coached team. Our boys held their own in a no-win situation.

We don't yet have the talent to hang with programs like LSU but we are quickly getting there. There will come a time very soon where these programs will avoid us because we are too good.

I am pleased about the strength and conditioning program - for years we wondered why our guys looked so much smaller now we know that our kids are working the iron as much or more than any program in the country under Frank Wentrich's leadership.

Our defense is leaps and bounds ahead of where it has been. I see a quarterback developing in Derrick Thompson that will be around another couple of years. I see an offensive line which actually has some depth and experience. Seeing good things ahead!

I too saw some good stuff Saturday in Baton Rouge. First, Les Miles better be worried more about what his team didn't do, than Coach Mac. If this is the best LSU has, he has problems coming down the road. They kept the first group in till the last 4 minutes and throwing long balls and scoring in the last 4-5 minutes. If we get a holding call on a long run that resulted in a score; catch some balls for conversions...this is a much closer game. Kansas St. better beware...Houston for sure along with the rest of the Sunbelt. This years MEAN GREEN could be a very good team....a very good YOUNG team...even more dangerous going into CUSA.

• Upvote 7

While its hard to find positives in a 27 point loss without being called out for "accepting failiure," Tom Landry pointed out years ago film will always show loses are not as bad as they felt right after the game. And wins are never as good as they seem, either. There are definitely some things we did well and a lot of areas we now know where we need work.

I'm kinda meh. It's hard to make much of successes when you're down 21 point 4 seconds into the 2nd quarter. On the other hand, we looked faster and bigger, and DT looked composed. This week should tell us a lot.

Honestly, I don't think this week will tell us a whole lot either.

Houston. That game will tell us a lot. Troy. That game will tell us a lot.

• Upvote 4

I guess the easiest way to say it is this game is comparative to the way we played OU in 2003. I saw about the same competitiveness from the defense with a little better offensive effort from the Mean Green.

I was upset in 2003, because I was hoping we would finally break through against a name opponent after 2 conference championships and a bowl victory.

Obviously, circumstances are different today. I see it as a huge improvement. Who knows, maybe we are taking the opposite path from 2003 and playing this type of game immediately before a conference championship and a bowl victory.

A man can dream, right?

I guess the easiest way to say it is this game is comparative to the way we played OU in 2003. I saw about the same competitiveness from the defense with a little better offensive effort from the Mean Green.

I was upset in 2003, because I was hoping we would finally break through against a name opponent after 2 conference championships and a bowl victory.

Obviously, circumstances are different today. I see it as a huge improvement. Who knows, maybe we are taking the opposite path from 2003 and playing this type of game immediately before a conference championship and a bowl victory.

A man can dream, right?

That's an interesting comparison. I felt we had a shot going into that OU game, and left the stadium disappointed and embarrassed. But in a game with similar results, I felt very good about things. It's funny how 7 straight years of losing (with some of the worst losses in our history) can give you perspective.

I'm excited. We forced LSU to keep their #1 unit in the game for the whole game. They seemed a little frantic about trying to run up the score. We looked a little shell shocked the first quarter but played well after that.

Consider that we played without 3 starters in the D-line for most of the game and a young defensive backfield. 3 or 4 years ago we lose by 60 points and they would have played their 2nd team and 3rd team half of the game.

My question is this. How would any other team left on our schedule have done against LSU last week?

With a little luck this could be a very good year.

I don't think the score alone should be the only inidicator of improvement. Some teams like to run-up the score more than others. When I was watching the game, I was trying to figure out our strenghs and weaknesses based on each possession. I tried to factor out the large speed and size discrepencies, since we won't see a team that fast or big the rest of the season. I still liked what I saw (for the most part), but I could of skipped the first quarter.

• Upvote 1

Anyone should be optimistic after the LSU game. The team showed a lot of determinism and looked in better condition than LSU and played hard till the end. Best performance in a guarantee game since Clemson who was not in the same league as LSU and the 0-28 loss to UT which also was not close to LSU in talent.

Agree. Mean Green were playing to win and not to pickup a paycheck & slink back home.

• Upvote 2

I don't see how anyone can disagree that Saturday was encouraging. I know Mac mentioned being disappointed and he should. He is the coach, he has to have that attitude. But as fans that watch this program it was very encouraging.

1. 2nd and 3rd quarter score was 13-7 LSU and through mid of the 4th quarter it was 20-14. The start killed us, but I'm sure nerves played a big part. Once our guys settled down they played well. Young kids in front of 90,000 and the toughest place to play. I get why they were jittery to start.

2. O-Line was outstanding!!! So impressed with how good they looked. Very well done.

3. Defense got consistent pressure and made plays in the LSU backfield.

4. Brelan RAN AWAY from SEC speed. Watch it again!

5. Thompson looked poised and made some nice throws

6. We have a solid front 7 which should help an inexperienced secondary.

7. Running Back U will continue. Jimmerson's got something!! I really liked they way that kid ran the ball.

I thought Aztec said it well in his recap video. We were beat by bigger. stronger athletes that compete for national championships. It is that simple.

We have to be realistic in games like this and I think this is BY FAR the best we have looked in a money game.

I know it seems kind of spare to discuss the positives of a program that just lost 41-14. However, it is where we are. Doesn't mean we will always be there, but for now I had a positive attitude Saturday night about the direction of the program.

Patrick

• Upvote 3

One thing that's encouraging is it appears our secondary may be a little further along that expected. The "knock" on this team was it's inexperienced secondary however I believe we are faster and stronger with solid coaching. That combination can overcome a lack of experience.

The corners appear physical and have the speed to go with it.

I can't wait until Saturday. And hopefully we come out on fire and can take that to KState the following week.

• Upvote 2

Good news is even with the loss the UNT video department has some great footage for the recruiting and highlight videos. The Hilbert Jackson knockout punch, Zach Whitfield's interception and of course the Brelan Chancellor touchdown where he outran the entire LSU secondary come immediately to mind.

I will be an LSU fan for the rest of the season. I hope they go undefeated. GMG!

One thing that's encouraging is it appears our secondary may be a little further along that expected. The "knock" on this team was it's inexperienced secondary however I believe we are faster and stronger with solid coaching. That combination can overcome a lack of experience.

The corners appear physical and have the speed to go with it.

I can't wait until Saturday. And hopefully we come out on fire and can take that to KState the following week.

I definitely agree with this. And I'm happy that our front 7 should allow them to get up to speed without too much exposure.

I think those guys will be fine granted Jackson can improve his positioning. Too many times he seemed out of position.

• Upvote 1