Texas Southern is asking for a major beatdown

UNTstormchaser

Really? Because the drum line that I first saw in the 80's performed at every game and also competed in the national competition (PASIC). Since then, two drum lines have been created. The indoor line that competes at PASIC and the one that performs with the GB. I prefer the drum lines of the 80's who were great, and didn't mind getting out in the elements.

They also served to put the GB's best (performance) foot forward at every game. Not so now.

The difference between the top line and the second line is probably so miniscule, you would not notice a difference in playing ability.

Silver, I'd be willing to bet that if both lines walked out in front you and played the same set, you wouldn't know which is which. This isn't Derek Thompson VS Andrew McNulty.

All of these guys spend the entirety of their summers on DCI teams. They're all very, very good.

We keep talking about athletics team depth, but the UNT Music program is DEEEEEEP.

The difference between the top line and the second line is probably so miniscule, you would not notice a difference in playing ability.

Silver, I'd be willing to bet that if both lines walked out in front you and played the same set, you wouldn't know which is which. This isn't Derek Thompson VS Andrew McNulty.

You'd lose that bet, because #1. I was a percussionist in my high school band (including stage band) and I have a very good ear for percussion performances. and #2. I watched the development of the North Texas drum line as they worked their way into a competitive group. They started naming their ensemble performances and a couple of my favorites were "across the heartland" and "the 747". So I know what a group of hard working and "hungry-for-recognition" percussionist sounds like.

All of these guys spend the entirety of their summers on DCI teams. They're all very, very good.

Then why aren't they featured in the GB half-time performances? Even once a year! When the drum line began developing and competing nationally, the crowd loved their half-time performances.

We keep talking about athletics team depth, but the UNT Music program is DEEEEEEP.

In theory that's true. But very few of it's finest come to Apogee to strut their stuff as part of the GB. As a musical representative of our school, and the school of music, the Green Brigade has (showmanship wise) been underachieving for MAAANY YEAAARS.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Downvote 2

Silver,

I played trombone in high school. I have a pretty good ear too. Put a 2 O'clock t-bone and a 1 O'clock t-bone in front of me and have them play the same piece (like a neutral piece that neither band plays regularly) and honestly, I probably could not tell you who is who.

It would be different if you could notice a gap in the quality of the drumline. But 99% of people in Apogee on Saturdays cannot, myself included. There's no need to bash the GB using the #2 line since the #1 line legitimately has a different focus. There's virtually no difference in skill between the two when playing some football show tunes.

Silver,

I played trombone in high school. I have a pretty good ear too. Put a 2 O'clock t-bone and a 1 O'clock t-bone in front of me and have them play the same piece (like a neutral piece that neither band plays regularly) and honestly, I probably could not tell you who is who.

It would be different if you could notice a gap in the quality of the drumline. But 99% of people in Apogee on Saturdays cannot, myself included. There's no need to bash the GB using the #2 line since the #1 line legitimately has a different focus. There's virtually no difference in skill between the two when playing some football show tunes.

I'd accept your premise if the GB drum line were to go to the PASIC competition this year and come in a close second to the "indoor" drum line.

But getting back to one of my points. If the current GB drum line is not noticeably different from the "indoor-competes-at-PASIC" drum line, then why doesn't the half time show feature them......at least one game per year. Because IF as you say, they are just as good, then there is a talented group of percussionist who are going to waste during the football season.

• Upvote 1

Do topics about the Green Brigade's Marching style and Drumlines get hi-jacked by posters commenting on the football players on the Band Forum? I wouldn't know, as I care zilch about a band at a football game, other than them being present and playing the alma mater, fight song, and the occasional song that helps get the fans fired up. At North Texas, that means I am in the minority, but at all other Texas FBS schools, the band doesn't really get talked up, unless its A&M--and their band (school) is 180 degrees different from everyone else in the state.

I go to a football stadium to watch a football game. I go to a basketball game to watch hoops. And its great to have them there while the game is being played, but other than that, you probably won't see me at the SBC/CUSA Band Marching Championship Game. I get the pageantry and all that stuff, but I have never known one collegiate drum major or the guy who dots the i, but I know several football players who have made their schools a lot of money because of their legacies. I choose to go watch them and saver those memories. I can tell you this, our drumline/marching band may be the best of all time, but I never left Fouts after a huge blowout loss to some spare SBC team, thinking, "Man, I'm sure glad our band was good today. Maybe that will get us into a new stadium and we can join a conference people have heard of before. Otherwise, today's 54-2 loss would REALLY hurt..."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd put our line up against anyone in the country.

Unless "anyone in the country" joins them on the sidelines for a contest then your statement is moot.

Sideline performances don't really count. Being one of the featured ensembles of the half-time show where LOTS MORE fans/alumni and visiting fans, can be dazzled by your percussionist brilliance...... does count.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Unless "anyone in the country" joins them on the sidelines for a contest then your statement is moot.

Sideline performances don't really count. Being one of the featured ensembles of the half-time show where LOTS MORE fans/alumni and visiting fans, can be dazzled by your percussionist brilliance...... does count.

Each performance has a percussion highlight... just like most marching performances anywhere. They're out there for about 5-7 minutes per game (not counting performing for the dancers). How much time is supposed to be dedicated to percussion-only?

I totally get that we should highlight our drumline. They're awesome. But, the other performers aren't chopped liver out there. Heck, I'd personally like to have a minute-long Tuba highlight, but I've never seen that either.

Each performance has a percussion highlight... just like most marching performances anywhere. They're out there for about 5-7 minutes per game (not counting performing for the dancers). How much time is supposed to be dedicated to percussion-only?

I totally get that we should highlight our drumline. They're awesome. But, the other performers aren't chopped liver out there. Heck, I'd personally like to have a minute-long Tuba highlight, but I've never seen that either.

That would be epic.

Anyways, to go back on topic, who is looking forward to us beating the hell out of this team? After we get slaughtered at LSU I'll be very happy to pretend we're facing someone legitimate like Louisiana Tech while we destroy TSU.