ThIs is really starting to get old

UNT90

Tony Mitchell has been attending UNT for 1 1/2 years at this point (began attending Jan.2011).

When he arrived at UNT he was the most decorated recruit EVER to step foot on this campus. He was 1st team All SBC as of April.

Just about everyone who knows anything about basketball knows that he WILL BE a lottery pick next year.

Yet, I walk into the bookstore Saturday, and not one Tony Mitchell jersey to be found.

ARE YOU F'N KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!

I was told that I would need to talk to whoever does their purchasing. Well, that person should be fired, IMO.

Pretty freaking unbelievable that the most marketable player in any sport in recent UNT history has ZERO merchandise for sale at the union.

EDIT: and let me clarify, they were not sold out of Mitchell swag, they just haven't ordered any.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Truly sad. Would that be the job of the Athletic Dept. or the Bookstore purchasing folks?

Edit: If you go to www.collegebasketballstore.com (that's right, an on-line basketball store) you can drill down past the "top 100" schools, search through 500+ other schools until you find North Texas Mean Green and you can purchase last years Lance Dunbar football jerseys.

Our guys are on top of this.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

My roommate just ordered a Tony Mitchell jersey online, only thing is its a white stripe down the sides instead of the green ones. Its the black jersey but its still pretty legit. Also btw the other day Chris Jones who i met on the bus to Arkansas for the Sun Belt tourney introduced me and my roommate to Tony last week at Mozart. We always talk about how great of a young man he is but it was nice to see it in person without cameras. Was a real nice guy, you could tell he wasn't a big talker but a great guy. In fact most of the team I have had the pleasure in meeting seem to be great guys. Can't wait till November!

GMG

• Upvote 2

I keep hoping that Nike will come through and give us some replica jerseys this year so I'll have something to frame. You better believe if there's an auction this year with an auto'd jersey of his I'm outbidding you all.

• Upvote 1

I keep hoping that Nike will come through and give us some replica jerseys this year so I'll have something to frame. You better believe if there's an auction this year with an auto'd jersey of his I'm outbidding you all.

DREAM THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM.

Gotta agree with you guys here, whoever it is that is in charge of this has really dropped the ball so far. They should be doing everything possible to capitalize on this rare opportunity, and they've really done next to nothing at all. The only TM related material I've ever seen was the white North Texas T-shirt that had #13 on the back. But, even that's pretty vague.

• Upvote 2

Sounds like we need a UNT BB garage sale ...

Yesssssssssss. The football garage sale was awesome, I bought so much random stuff. I think my favorite purchase might have been a 2004 sun belt champions shirt, even over the older jersey that I'm too fat to fit into (you know it's time for a diet when you're too fat to fit into a #63 jersey haha)

Edited by UNTstormchaser
  • Upvote 1

Gotta agree with you guys here, whoever it is that is in charge of this has really dropped the ball so far. They should be doing everything possible to capitalize on this rare opportunity, and they've really done next to nothing at all. The only TM related material I've ever seen was the white North Texas T-shirt that had #13 on the back. But, even that's pretty vague.

I bought the TMitch T Shirt last winter but that is all I have seen since that time. I was in Sports Authority in Lewisville yesterday. Amongst the countless OU, UT, T A&M and TCU merchandise were four white very mediocre looking Nike Apogee Stadium T Shirts but only in Medium and Large sizes.

• Upvote 1

I bought the TMitch T Shirt last winter but that is all I have seen since that time. I was in Sports Authority in Lewisville yesterday. Amongst the countless OU, UT, T A&M and TCU merchandise were four white very mediocre looking Nike Apogee Stadium T Shirts but only in Medium and Large sizes.

When your own freaking university store can't get it right, why would the Sports Authorities of the world even care.

I made a point to make comments to university store staff after every basketball game about the lack of TMitch merchandise and got several different excuses.

Amazing how some people will go out of their way to not make a profit.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if it's still this way, but way back when I purchased a replica Jamario Thomas jersey for my son, we could get the number 20, but could not get it with Thomas' name on the back. We were told that it was against NCAA rules to sell merchandise that included current player's names. We could get any other name we wanted or do it on our own, but they were not allowed to sell them that way.

Edited by keith

I don't know if it's still this way, but way back when I purchased a replica Jamario Thomas jersey for my son, we could get the number 20, but could not get it with Thomas' name on the back. We were told that it was against NCAA rules to sell merchandise that included current player's names. We could get any other name we wanted or do it on our own, but they were not allowed to sell them that way.

Yes, that is still the rule.

But we are talking no merchandise with Mitchell's number on it, jersey or T-shirt.

Isn't everyone getting sick of walking into xyz store in the metroplex and seeing more Texas State, TCU and SMU gear on the shelves in DFW than North Texas? There is a reason for this, and some of it is controllable. But pointing out who is actually responsible for not doing their job, ie....collegiate licensing, mershandising etc, on a fan message board gets deleted?

Until this fan base collectively stands up and demands that those in charge do their jobs this program will continue to play second fiddle to everyone else in Texas.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Until this fan base collectively stands up and demands that those in charge do their jobs this program will continue to play second fiddle to everyone else in Texas.

And, until this fan base actually starts buying what UNT merchandise there IS for sale in the metroplex and other places, the day we see tons of UNT merchandise available for sale will NEVER come. That includes students on UNT's very own campus who continue to wear jerseys and mercahndise displaying other university logos and names as well as fans and alums. The folks who sell this stuff are, believe it or not, in the business of making a profit...if they can actually profit from sales of UNT gear and mercahndise, they will carry it!

Now, that being said...the UNT bookstore and the Apogee store (run by the UNT Bookstore I am told...so actually one in the same) should have a bigger and better variety of merchandise NOW. But, again, people must them be willing to buy it...and not jst a few diehard fans here on GMG.Com. I share your pain in this.

• Upvote 4

A good friend of mine works at Mozart and talks to Tony pretty frequently. The other day he saw Tony in the dorm and said he liked his shirt. Tony took the shirt off his back and gave it to him. My friend sent me a picture of the shirt and it was a Nike A'Mare Skills Academy Shirt. The kid has a good heart.

That's awesome. I'm looking forward to living in Mozart this year, just to see him frequently.

And, until this fan base actually starts buying what UNT merchandise there IS for sale in the metroplex and other places, the day we see tons of UNT merchandise available for sale will NEVER come. That includes students on UNT's very own campus who continue to wear jerseys and mercahndise displaying other university logos and names as well as fans and alums. The folks who sell this stuff are, believe it or not, in the business of making a profit...if they can actually profit from sales of UNT gear and mercahndise, they will carry it!

Now, that being said...the UNT bookstore and the Apogee store (run by the UNT Bookstore I am told...so actually one in the same) should have a bigger and better variety of merchandise NOW. But, again, people must them be willing to buy it...and not jst a few diehard fans here on GMG.Com. I share your pain in this.

This this this this this. +100 if I could. Unfortunately what it takes for people to stop disrespecting UNT is something we have struggled to attain over recent years: wins in football. Basketball is well and good, and I do love it, but until this team wins a couple bowl games in a row no one is going to take notice. Very few schools can be very popular locally and nationally without being good in football...the only ones that come to mind are the schools in the middle of nowhere where professional teams do not exist (Kansas and Kentucky come to mind, though they're also in power conferences). That isn't the case for UNT...we have professional sports galore right down 35, and a slew of good football schools in the state. After all, this IS Texas, where religion comes first and football is a religion. If we want fan support from students and locals alike, the answer is clear. If football wins, the fans will come. Luckily, I think we all agree that this is on the horizon.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Speaking of...the Denton Sam's has a really nice green polo. Good price, the "new" green color and is the light weight style that would be nice for football. I think they are around $17, though I could be wrong. I liked them so much I bought one.

I have brought this fact up to RV on several occassions. He has assured me, and another guy asking, that the move to CUSA removes some of the baracades that we face on purchasing "good" merchandise at stores today. I'm not sure what that means. Just passing on what he said verbatim at the caravan in Plano. I do know that we are licensing through CLC, which is the major licensing company that makes all the good stuff that is sold in stores.

Edited by Grant.UNT