2012 Sun Belt Football Preview, Predictions: FanIQ

Harry

4. North Texas Mean Green: 6-6 (5-3)

North Texas rode the momentum train towards the latter end of the season last year, including a 59-7 dismantling over Middle Tennessee State in the finale. Coach Dan McCarney brings a legitimate reason for Mean Green fans to stay optimistic, as the program continues to move forward. The offense began to click (that's an understatement) Week 8, and with junior quarterback Derek Thompson back under center, it should continue doing so throughout the 2012 season.

read more: http://www.faniq.com/blog/2012-Sun-Belt-Football-Preview-Predictions-Blog-52036

I think the bad weather and attendance at that MUTS game causes many of us to forget what a shallacking that game really was. Sure MUTS were down last season but still you gotta hope the momentum from that victory continues into this season.

I think the bad weather and attendance at that MUTS game causes many of us to forget what a shallacking that game really was. Sure MUTS were down last season but still you gotta hope the momentum from that victory continues into this season.

That game was all about Lance Dunbar. If we can replace his output, we can win those cold rainy games. Just gotta hope the running-back-by-committee works out.

That game was all about Lance Dunbar and overpowering offensive line play. If we can replace his output and get similiar play from the O-line this year, we can win those cold rainy games. Just gotta hope the running-back-by-committee and the re-worked O-line works out.

Fixed.

By re-worked O-Line, I'm referring to the loss of Tomlinson to graduation and the re-positioning of a couple of players.

I believe that this line will be the strength of the team and will lead to several 200 yard rushing days in conference play, FWIW.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

I thought Byrd would be taking most snaps?

Maybe, but it's no guarantee. Jimmerson looked good in the spring game and was projected as #1 off of that performance. Whitfield and Brown have better speed and catch well. Byrd's forte is power and he never seems to lose yardage. I don't know that Byrd has the speed to be an every down back. Each brings something that could fit different situations. I think that all will play and it may not matter that much who starts.

• Upvote 1

Maybe, but it's no guarantee. Jimmerson looked good in the spring game and was projected as #1 off of that performance. Whitfield and Brown have better speed and catch well. Byrd's forte is power and he never seems to lose yardage. I don't know that Byrd has the speed to be an every down back. Each brings something that could fit different situations. I think that all will play and it may not matter that much who starts.

It looks like Whitfield is officially a DB. Not a bad thing necessarily because that's a big area of concern and he has the tools to be a very good CB.