Further CUSA Expansion On Hold 12-15 Months ?

MeanGreen61

I could see JMU and UD, but what do you gain by adding New Mexico and FAU? Better off adding MTSU and Richmond.

this would be a great move if one was interested in cementing CUSA as the crappiest conference in the country bar none

Richmond a team that has not played a down of football in D1-A and has an 8.7K stadium along with UTSA, UNCC, and ODU....why not mix in Jackson State and Missouri Something or Another to really top it off?

more than likely if the BE falls apart you will see UH, SMU, UCF, Memphis join up with Louisville, Cincy, USF and then ask Rice, UTEP, Tulane, Tulsa, USM, ECU, and maybe Marshall if they only want 14 (which is a crappy number)

if they want 16 then Latech, and FIU, would be in play because it would give them 4 in Texas with all 3 major areas covered, 4 is the MAX that a conference can have in Texas before others in the conference complain and before those teams start to feed on each other and the conference becomes heavy with Texas teams that are always bad, it would give them 3 in Florida, and 2 in Louisiana

Louisville and Cincy are not going to the ACC or the Big 12, Rice, UTEP, Tulane, Tulsa, USM, and ECU give the conference 6 teams that have played together long enough to make the NCAA autobids a non-issue, Tulsa, Rice, Tulane, and SMU have their private school block back together, you have multiple large metro areas covered in two states that are hot beds for recruiting, the smaller market teams have strong fan support and recent histories of winning, you have several good to really good basketball programs, and schools that all know one another

that would be 16 teams so even if some of them somehow or some way were lured away in the future there would not be a rush to add more, and there is a good split geographically with

ECU

Louisville

Cincy

USF

UCF

Marshall

FIU

USM

UH

Rice

SMU

UTEP

Tulane

Tulsa

Memphis

LaTech

UH and SMU are not going to come back to the CUSA the way it is now and Louisville and Cincy are not going to the ACC or Big 12 neither are USF or UCF or Memphis and the members of the CUSA that were left behind by those schools in the recent and distant past would love to get back together with them VS sitting in the CUSA especially when they know that all the other 6 or 7 members will be jumping off immediately if ask......they will be ask as a group and they will be GONE

then it is up to them to decide of 14 works or if 16 is better......there will be a max of 4 Texas teams and probably a max of 3 FLA teams and 6 out of the 7 long term members of CUSA will be needed for CUSA auto bids so more than likely all 7 would be ask just in case UTEP or Tulsa looks at the MWC again there would still be 6 for the NCAA auto bids

then one more team from FLA and one more after that.....LaTech is the strongest left with the most fan support as well and the most recent history of winning and they are right in the vacinity of everyone else

Edited by GL2Greatness
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

And if the rumors about a much smaller media deal are true, a media deal closer to that of the MWC and C-USA, then there is virtually no reason to join the BE. Crossing my fingers for a BE meltdown that could realistically see USF, UCF, SMU, UH and Memphis back in C-USA.

---I doubt CUSA will ever see them again as members ..... the group will likely try just split off from BE and try to find some teams to join them. I am glad SMU left CUSA because it opened the door for us but I think they messed up two ways.... They didn't improve themselves any and it let us in the CUSA door which now might be bad for them because they have only one somewhat local team in their conference.. and now we likely will draw more regional attention... They need us to play them more than we need them now... They need some regional teams to show up in Dallas and someone to buy tickets.....

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

---I doubt CUSA will ever see them again as members ..... the group will likely try just split off from BE and try to find some teams to join them. I am glad SMU left CUSA because it opened the door for us but I think they messed up two ways.... They didn't improve themselves any and it let us in the CUSA door which now might be bad for them because they have only one somewhat local team in their conference.. and now we likely will draw more regional attention... They need us to play them more than we need them now... They need some regional teams to show up in Dallas and someone to buy tickets.....

then reality steps in

I think they have "regional teams" covered quite well even if they ditched the safeway bowl tomorrow......SMU has never needed unT and never will "need" unT get real

no one besides the members of this forum thinks that the current CUSA is anything close to what the BE will be even in the BE loses two more teams because that just means the CUSA will lose two more of their top teams or that CUSA will be torn apart as former members join back with their long time fellow CUSA members

"travel cost" "regional appeal" and all the othe rBS that is tossed out on this forum is just that......TCU did just fine as the only team in their conference from Texas for a number of years in fact they thrived specifically because they did not sit around blowing smoke up their butts about someone else "needing" them or blow smoke up their butts about what other programs were doing......they set out to do it themselves

Boise and UH that have both had some success recently both view the BE as an opportunity.....SMU, Memphis, UCF, and SDSU all view it as an opportunity......I think the administrations of those university athletic programs are much better measures of what the BE provides to them VS the bleatings of the often wrong and wildy over optimistic members of GMG

• Downvote 8

then reality steps in

I think they have "regional teams" covered quite well even if they ditched the safeway bowl tomorrow......SMU has never needed unT and never will "need" unT get real

no one besides the members of this forum thinks that the current CUSA is anything close to what the BE will be even in the BE loses two more teams because that just means the CUSA will lose two more of their top teams or that CUSA will be torn apart as former members join back with their long time fellow CUSA members

"travel cost" "regional appeal" and all the othe rBS that is tossed out on this forum is just that......TCU did just fine as the only team in their conference from Texas for a number of years in fact they thrived specifically because they did not sit around blowing smoke up their butts about someone else "needing" them or blow smoke up their butts about what other programs were doing......they set out to do it themselves

Boise and UH that have both had some success recently both view the BE as an opportunity.....SMU, Memphis, UCF, and SDSU all view it as an opportunity......I think the administrations of those university athletic programs are much better measures of what the BE provides to them VS the bleatings of the often wrong and wildy over optimistic members of GMG

Ok, genius, you neglected to address the second part of Screaming Eagles last sentence, you know, the part about "someone to buy tickets". SMU has struggled...mightily...over the last 20+ years to sell tickets despite having a state of the art on campus facility. We all know outside of their painfully small fan base, NOBODY in the Dallas cares a whit about SMU athletics. Hell, drop them in the Big 12 and attendence might spike 10%. Do you get it now...? NOBODY cares about SMU athletics.

In case you don't think SMU "needs" UNT, just wait until the first game in the upcoming series when half (maybe more :P ) of Ford Stadium is decked out in green. See, there's the appeal of regional games again, filling each others stadiums due to ease of travel for visiting fans. I doubt SMU will bring more than 3,000 to Apogee for the return game but no matter, we will fill the stands with our own fans and relegate the pink polos to the little visitors section.

Speaking of "bleatings" please feel free to read your own posts sometime and then look in the mirror at that poor, shorn sheep looking back at you. I respect your right to voice your opinions on here, but your act has just become plain tiresome.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Ok, genius, you neglected to address the second part of Screaming Eagles last sentence, you know, the part about "someone to buy tickets". SMU has struggled...mightily...over the last 20+ years to sell tickets despite having a state of the art on campus facility. We all know outside of their painfully small fan base, NOBODY in the Dallas cares a whit about SMU athletics. Hell, drop them in the Big 12 and attendence might spike 10%. Do you get it now...? NOBODY cares about SMU athletics.

In case you don't think SMU "needs" UNT, just wait until the first game in the upcoming series when half (maybe more :P ) of Ford Stadium is decked out in green. See, there's the appeal of regional games again, filling each others stadiums due to ease of travel for visiting fans. I doubt SMU will bring more than 3,000 to Apogee for the return game but no matter, we will fill the stands with our own fans and relegate the pink polos to the little visitors section.

Speaking of "bleatings" please feel free to read your own posts sometime and then look in the mirror at that poor, shorn sheep looking back at you. I respect your right to voice your opinions on here, but your act has just become plain tiresome.

Your point may have merrit.... but please don't feed the troll (I gave you a minus 1 for that)

• Upvote 2

again reality steps back in

Ford Stadium holds 32K.....half of that is 16K

last year in the brand new Apogee Stadium unT managed to average 17,178 fans....but somehow you are going to get 16K fans to show up to another teams stadium

and if unT fans managed to show up to Apogee the way that GMGers dream to they would show up then SMU would only have 3K visitors tickets to have access to and if the fans don't show up the way GMGers dream then it is still up to unT to release those tickets for opposing fans to buy.....and it is really not their job to fill the stadium of their opponents

and perhaps you missed the part where SMU has plenty of regional opponents on their schedule like Baylor, TCU, TAMU, and others that will bring fans and that will bring the SMU fans out as well

lastly of course my act is tiresome to you because I deal in reality and you deal in a fantasy world

Edited by GL2Greatness
  • Downvote 8

again reality steps back in

Ford Stadium holds 32K.....half of that is 16K

last year in the brand new Apogee Stadium unT managed to average 17,178 fans....but somehow you are going to get 16K fans to show up to another teams stadium

and if unT fans managed to show up to Apogee the way that GMGers dream to they would show up then SMU would only have 3K visitors tickets to have access to and if the fans don't show up the way GMGers dream then it is still up to unT to release those tickets for opposing fans to buy.....and it is really not their job to fill the stadium of their opponents

and perhaps you missed the part where SMU has plenty of regional opponents on their schedule like Baylor, TCU, TAMU, and others that will bring fans and that will bring the SMU fans out as well

lastly of course my act is tiresome to you because I deal in reality and you deal in a fantasy world

Your assumption that 16,000 UNT fans will need to show up to half fill Ford Stadium is based on the dream that 32,000 will actually attend any game played in that facility. The last game played between UNT and SMU drew about 20,000, 7,000 of which were North Texas fans. Pretty embarassing for roughly 40% of your attendence to be from that "little community college" up the road and in the middle of one of the darkest periods of the program. You all must have been really proud when T Tech fans made up well more than half of the attendence the day they came to visit, but I digress.

Now for your daily reality check... SMU has scheduled regional opponents at Ford for several years (Rice, Tulsa, Houston, Texas Tech). Don't you remember your glory days in CUSA? Anyway, check the attendence figures for those home dates and tell me how you think SMU "fans" will come out in droves for these. I can't wait to see the sea of maroon for the A&M game *giggle* but again, I digress...

I have several other reality checks for you and other smoo trolls but, as an earlier poster mentioned, I should probably stop feeding said trolls. Enjoy your run in the new and improved BE. Hope that works out for you the way you dream it should. :lolu:

Your point may have merrit.... but please don't feed the troll (I gave you a minus 1 for that)

I fed him one last much needed reality check (you know for Check Facts) lol. But you're right, the trolls need to be starved out.

Can I score a plus 1 for my reformation? :))

• Upvote 3

Your assumption that 16,000 UNT fans will need to show up to half fill Ford Stadium is based on the dream that 32,000 will actually attend any game played in that facility. The last game played between UNT and SMU drew about 20,000, 7,000 of which were North Texas fans. Pretty embarassing for roughly 40% of your attendence to be from that "little community college" up the road and in the middle of one of the darkest periods of the program. You all must have been really proud when T Tech fans made up well more than half of the attendence the day they came to visit, but I digress.

Now for your daily reality check... SMU has scheduled regional opponents at Ford for several years (Rice, Tulsa, Houston, Texas Tech). Don't you remember your glory days in CUSA? Anyway, check the attendence figures for those home dates and tell me how you think SMU "fans" will come out in droves for these. I can't wait to see the sea of maroon for the A&M game *giggle* but again, I digress...

I have several other reality checks for you and other smoo trolls but, as an earlier poster mentioned, I should probably stop feeding said trolls. Enjoy your run in the new and improved BE. Hope that works out for you the way you dream it should. :lolu:

it is not my dream that 16K fans will need to be there to fill half the stadium

it is basic mathmatics based on your statement

oldschoollefty, on 25 June 2012 - 02:00 AM, said:

just wait until the first game in the upcoming series when half (maybe more :P ) of Ford Stadium is decked out in green

you clearly said just wait until half of the stadium is there decked out in green.....you did not say half of the fans at the game you said half of the stadium......that would be 16K fans

and 7k/20K = 35% that is not roughly 40% that is exactly 35%

and 20K fans at a game for SMU is still 2K more than unT averaged last year in their brand new stadium so I am not sure I would be bagging on SMU for getting 20K to a game against anyone.......and if that many fans showed up it just goes to show that someone cares about SMU because that is 2K+ more than the season average for a much larger school, with a new stadium, and tens of thousands more alumni in the area........that appearently get more excited about showing up to see a game at SMU vs at Apogee...

also you don't seem to have a clue what point you are trying to make.....you say that SMU must have regional fans to survive and they will need unT more than evAR to survive and then when it is pointed out that SMU will have 4 regional OOC games for the next several years you suddenly start saying how fans never showed up to those games....which pretty much defeats your origonal "point" that SMU needs regional games to draw fans and to survive as a program

SMU has slightly over 50% of their student body from outside of Texas with California (SDSU) being the next leading state for enrollment then Florida (UCF USF) and Connecticut being #7 on the list of states that send students to SMU......so the Big East teams will be very familiar to a large number of SMU students and playing in those locations will help SMU recruit from places that they already do very well recruting students from

I wouldn't expect you to understand much if any of this because well you are you, but SMU and their administration understand it and that is what matters to them not the false reality and BS that is bantered about on this forum and so easily refuted and made to look like the BS that it is

• Downvote 5

just wait until the first game in the upcoming series when half (maybe more :P ) of Ford Stadium is decked out in green

you clearly said just wait until half of the stadium is there decked out in green.....you did not say half of the fans at the game you said half of the stadium......that would be 16K fans

and 20K fans at a game for SMU is still 2K more than unT averaged last year in their brand new stadium so I am not sure I would be bagging on SMU for getting 20K to a game against anyone.......and if that many fans showed up it just goes to show that someone cares about SMU because that is 2K+ more than the season average for a much larger school, with a new stadium, and tens of thousands more alumni in the area........that appearently get more excited about showing up to see a game at SMU vs at Apogee...

also you don't seem to have a clue what point you are trying to make.....you say that SMU must have regional fans to survive and they will need unT more than evAR to survive and then when it is pointed out that SMU will have 4 regional OOC games for the next several years you suddenly start saying how fans never showed up to those games....which pretty much defeats your origonal "point" that SMU needs regional games to draw fans and to survive as a program

SMU has slightly over 50% of their student body from outside of Texas with California (SDSU) being the next leading state for enrollment then Florida (UCF USF) and Connecticut being #7 on the list of states that send students to SMU......so the Big East teams will be very familiar to a large number of SMU students and playing in those locations will help SMU recruit from places that they already do very well recruting students from

I wouldn't expect you to understand much if any of this because well you are you, but SMU and their administration understand it and that is what matters to them not the false reality and BS that is bantered about on this forum and so easily refuted and made to look like the BS that it is

It's fun that you call someone else stupid when you are incapable of using commas, periods, or capitalization correctly.

• Upvote 1

It really depends on the following. If Louisville, BSU and SDSU leave, then the remaining BE schools would need to see if they can bring in other schools from C-USA. The question is who would they take? SMU will fight UNT, Houston will fight Rice. USF and UCF would fight FIU, so realistically what large markets are you left with? Ruston and NOLA? San Antonio, Charlotte and Norfolk? They don't like ECU because the market isn't large enough, ditto for Marshall and SoMiss. I mean realistically they could add six schools to get to 16, but what 6? Logic would dictate you pick six out of the following schools; UNT, Rice, Tulane, FIU, ECU, Marshall, SoMiss, Tulsa or UTEP.

• Upvote 1

It really depends on the following. If Louisville, BSU and SDSU leave, then the remaining BE schools would need to see if they can bring in other schools from C-USA. The question is who would they take? SMU will fight UNT, Houston will fight Rice. USF and UCF would fight FIU, so realistically what large markets are you left with? Ruston and NOLA? San Antonio, Charlotte and Norfolk? They don't like ECU because the market isn't large enough, ditto for Marshall and SoMiss. I mean realistically they could add six schools to get to 16, but what 6? Logic would dictate you pick six out of the following schools; UNT, Rice, Tulane, FIU, ECU, Marshall, SoMiss, Tulsa or UTEP.

Houston would not block Rice they would welcome them

Louisville is not going anywhere

the teams that would NEED to be paicked from would be at least 6 of the remaining 7 long term CUSA members so that a new conference would still have NCAA auto bids in all sports.....that means UTEP, Rice, Tulsa, Tulane, Marshall, ECU, and USM.....all of the small private schools like one another, houston has no issue with Rice, and I doubt that Louisville has an issue with ECU I am sure it is other BE members that were not interested in ECU

I can deal with stupid people but I'm not sure I'd like to be associated with shady people getting FINRA fines handed out to them. Yes I'm talking to you.

you can be talking to me all you wish, but I don't trade stocks professionally so it would be impossible that I have ever been fined by any national organization dealing with stock trading......you have no clue who I am and you can dream that you do all you wish, but it does nothing to disprove the things I post and it just makes you look foolish and makes me laugh that much harder at your attempts to discredit someone that you know nothing about because you can't actually discredit their statements of fact

get a clue

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Houston would not block Rice they would welcome them

Louisville is not going anywhere

the teams that would NEED to be paicked from would be at least 6 of the remaining 7 long term CUSA members so that a new conference would still have NCAA auto bids in all sports.....that means UTEP, Rice, Tulsa, Tulane, Marshall, ECU, and USM.....all of the small private schools like one another, houston has no issue with Rice, and I doubt that Louisville has an issue with ECU I am sure it is other BE members that were not interested in ECU

you can be talking to me all you wish, but I don't trade stocks professionally so it would be impossible that I have ever been fined by any national organization dealing with stock trading......you have no clue who I am and you can dream that you do all you wish, but it does nothing to disprove the things I post and it just makes you look foolish and makes me laugh that much harder at your attempts to discredit someone that you know nothing about because you can't actually discredit their statements of fact

get a clue

When did I say Louisville has an issue with ECU? Also, Louisville will leave the BE, it is not a question of if but when. Also, I am not sure you'd hang your hat on Rice or Tulane when it comes to the autobids, football is still king and AQ's are going away.

• Upvote 2

When did I say Louisville has an issue with ECU? Also, Louisville will leave the BE, it is not a question of if but when. Also, I am not sure you'd hang your hat on Rice or Tulane when it comes to the autobids, football is still king and AQ's are going away.

the auto bid meaning that NCAA teams outside of football get to participate in NCAA sponsored chamipnships automatically for winning the conference

for this to happen a conference needs at least 6 teams that have played together for at least two years and for mens basketball specifically they need those 6 teams that have been together for 2 years and also they need a 7th team that has been D1-A for something like 6 or 7 years I can't remember

so if the NCAA was to say that UH, Memphis, UCF, and SMU had "left" the CUSA even though they never played in the BE and that by "leaving" the CUSA it broke the string of having been together with other remaining CUSA teams that would mean that the teams that "left" and any remaining BE teams would need to envite at least 6 of the 7 CUSA teams that they "left" to go to the BE

now if the NCAA said that UH, Memphis, UCF, and SMU had not broken the two year string of being together with the remaining CUSA teams then they would only need two more of the remaining CUSA teams + one school that had been D1-A for a number of years

so Cincy, Louisville, UH, Memphis, UCF, and SMU would only need two more teams that had been in the CUSA to make a conference that would automatically qualify for all the NCAA sponsored playoffs.....I still think they would go to at least 12 and most likely invite all or almost all the CUSA teams they had left behind

and when you say "they don't like ECU because the market is small" I can only conculde the "they" would be Louisville and Cincy and other BE members since "they" would be the ones that passed on ECU being invited to the BE.......and since it would most likely be Louisville and Cincy and USF along with Memphis, UH, SMU, and UCF that would be getting left behind if the BE breaks up and since only Louisville has a market they actually come close to delivering (Cincy does not deliver their market) and the other remainign longer term BE teams do not have a huge market much less one they deliver I would think that it would be Louisville that would be the only one that could remotely have a complaint about ECU.....and I doubt they would since ECU delivers strong support even in a "smaller" market

Edited by GL2Greatness

the auto bid meaning that NCAA teams outside of football get to participate in NCAA sponsored chamipnships automatically for winning the conference

for this to happen a conference needs at least 6 teams that have played together for at least two years and for mens basketball specifically they need those 6 teams that have been together for 2 years and also they need a 7th team that has been D1-A for something like 6 or 7 years I can't remember

so if the NCAA was to say that UH, Memphis, UCF, and SMU had "left" the CUSA even though they never played in the BE and that by "leaving" the CUSA it broke the string of having been together with other remaining CUSA teams that would mean that the teams that "left" and any remaining BE teams would need to envite at least 6 of the 7 CUSA teams that they "left" to go to the BE

now if the NCAA said that UH, Memphis, UCF, and SMU had not broken the two year string of being together with the remaining CUSA teams then they would only need two more of the remaining CUSA teams + one school that had been D1-A for a number of years

so Cincy, Louisville, UH, Memphis, UCF, and SMU would only need two more teams that had been in the CUSA to make a conference that would automatically qualify for all the NCAA sponsored playoffs.....I still think they would go to at least 12 and most likely invite all or almost all the CUSA teams they had left behind

and when you say "they don't like ECU because the market is small" I can only conculde the "they" would be Louisville and Cincy and other BE members since "they" would be the ones that passed on ECU being invited to the BE.......and since it would most likely be Louisville and Cincy and USF along with Memphis, UH, SMU, and UCF that would be getting left behind if the BE breaks up and since only Louisville has a market they actually come close to delivering (Cincy does not deliver their market) and the other remainign longer term BE teams do not have a huge market much less one they deliver I would think that it would be Louisville that would be the only one that could remotely have a complaint about ECU.....and I doubt they would since ECU delivers strong support even in a "smaller" market

That's a really long post...

zGIyA.gif

Score one for the troll... You got me on semantics there. The next dry cleaning of your pink polo is on me.

My intended point was, half or more OF THOSE IN ATTENDENCE would be clad in green, whether it be 10, 12, 15, 20, 30 thousand. I think you saw my intended meaning but just chose to ignore it like you ignore other clear facts about your beloved little ponies.

Still don't think smu needs regional games to survive? It's absolutely laughable that the only significant live gates that smoo attracted over the last 4 seasons were regional games where the visiting team supplied 30-50% (or more) of the crowd in attendence i.e. Texas Tech, UNT, TCU, etc. You still really think that your "fan base" turns out to support smu athletics? Enjoy that dream if that's what keeps you going.

Now here's the shocking part of this post... I'm going to play a little devil's advocate here. I believe that UNT attendence will improve from 2013 forward also due to an improved slate of regional games on the CUSA schedule. I may drink the green kool aid but I know from which way the wind blows too. I sincerely hope we don't need the same 30-50% contribution from visiting fans that SMU does for a decent gate and I don't think we will, but yes, I believe improved attendence from visiting fans of CUSA opponents

will help swell crowds. Lord knows our former Sun Belt bunkmates didn't travel very well. I believe even more strongly that the general direction of the program, vastly improved facilities, and a stronger conference affiliation will bring our fan base to new heights never before seen. If I'm wrong, well, we will be in the same boat as our friends in University Park, a lovely facility to play in and thousands of empty seats to play in front of. I have faith in our fans though, (myself included) that we will support our program to those new heights.

Let me be clear, I don't think Louisville will be in th BE in two year's time.