Biggest gift to the prosecution was Sandusky's attorney promising that Sandusky will testify during opening arguments. Don't know why he wouldn't wait to make that decision.

Given Sandisky's performance against Bob Costas, this is going to go terribly bad for Sandusky. If he thought Costas was tough, just wait until he gets crossed by the prosecution. It's gonna be uuuuuugggly.

I also find it interesting that his defense is "everyone is lying but me." Seems like that may bite him as well.

• Upvote 1

I have a huge problem with Penn State being let off the hook for knowing about what Sandusky was doing, but still allowing him full access to the campus, using Penn State property and pull to continue to lure these kids in.

More than anything in the on the field athletic realm, this more than all makes the NCAA a sham to me. SMU donors give college kids spending money and cars. Yeah, it was cheating. But, it wasn't allowing the rape of children by an adult authority figure.

That SMU got the "death penalty" and Penn State as an institution will go unscatched is wretched.

And, Joe Paterno...his legacy is rightly tarnished by the whole thing. Being the winningest coach and having a "clean reputation" meant more to him than doing the right thing. He hid his friend's behavior for years. Horrible.

I said it a couple of months ago, and I'll say it again now...if the choice is between becoming the wretched money-grubbing, win-at-all-cost monsters the Penn States, Texas', OUs, etc. have become and only winning occassionally because your athletic department does do the right thing on and off the field - give me what we have now.

• Upvote 2

I have a huge problem with Penn State being let off the hook for knowing about what Sandusky was doing, but still allowing him full access to the campus, using Penn State property and pull to continue to lure these kids in.

More than anything in the on the field athletic realm, this more than all makes the NCAA a sham to me. SMU donors give college kids spending money and cars. Yeah, it was cheating. But, it wasn't allowing the rape of children by an adult authority figure.

That SMU got the "death penalty" and Penn State as an institution will go unscatched is wretched.

And, Joe Paterno...his legacy is rightly tarnished by the whole thing. Being the winningest coach and having a "clean reputation" meant more to him than doing the right thing. He hid his friend's behavior for years. Horrible.

I said it a couple of months ago, and I'll say it again now...if the choice is between becoming the wretched money-grubbing, win-at-all-cost monsters the Penn States, Texas', OUs, etc. have become and only winning occassionally because your athletic department does do the right thing on and off the field - give me what we have now.

The fact that he used the Penn St football program and his status within said program to lure, groom, and subsequently molest young boys with the knowledge of the Penn St administration is amd will continue to be the most egregious example of lack of institutional control in the history of college sports.

But Penn St plays in the Big 10, one of the now 5 conferences that control the NCAA, so they suffer no penalty.

And your right, TFLF, SMU's crimes don't hold a candle to Penn St.

In a just world, Penn St would lose football for at least 5 years.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The American public has a short memory. I posted an article a couple of days ago about a kid from Florida we had offered that had verbaled to Penn State and his comment was something to the effect, "This was my dream school etc.." I posted the article for the fact it was a kid we offered and lost, and was intrigued that we were still working some in Florida. But part of me was taken aback at the fact that this kid and probably many others were willing to overlook the terrible things that occurred at that program. The list goes on, do we ever hear about Miami and what transpired there? North Carolina? The truth is we should all be proud that North Texas has never been investigated by the NCAA or sanctioned. But sadly - it really doesn't mean much does it?

1) Win at football

1a) Show me the money!

2) Show potential to 1) or 1a)

11,697) Don't provide sanctuary for child rapists.

• Upvote 2

The American public has a short memory. I posted an article a couple of days ago about a kid from Florida we had offered that had verbaled to Penn State and his comment was something to the effect, "This was my dream school etc.." I posted the article for the fact it was a kid we offered and lost, and was intrigued that we were still working some in Florida. But part of me was taken aback at the fact that this kid and probably many others were willing to overlook the terrible things that occurred at that program. The list goes on, do we ever hear about Miami and what transpired there? North Carolina? The truth is we should all be proud that North Texas has never been investigated by the NCAA or sanctioned. But sadly - it really doesn't mean much does it?

I don't know. I think the fact that we were in competition with Penn St for a recruit kinda shows how far they have fallen.

Plus, Penn St. Is only that kid's "dream school" until OU, UT, or Florida offers. Typical recruit speak.

I am proud that UNT has never been investigated, but that sure didnt get us anywhere when it came to the APR appeals process.

The NCAA is worthless and borderline corrupt as an enforcement agency.

• Upvote 3

It pains me to acknowledge that any other University is more morally bankrupt than SMU, but I have to agree totally with you about this. Penn St. should get the death penalty (for at least 5 years) for their role in this tragedy.

Well they won't. Jo Pa is dead, they will send Jerry to prison for life (deserved) and all the top administrators took their golden parachutes and I'm sure are busy resurrecting their careers...it's seems like a joke but it's what's wrong with our country. Penn State the entity, much like a corporation does not have a physical person that you can punish or put in jail. And the bottom line is this entity generates a LOT of money. So I expect the punishment will be very very minimal.

BTW I am pro business and do think corporations are a good thing IF they have accountability.

Well they won't. Jo Pa is dead, they will send Jerry to prison for life (deserved) and all the top administrators took their golden parachutes and I'm sure are busy resurrecting their careers...it's seems like a joke but it's what's wrong with our country. Penn State the entity, much like a corporation does not have a physical person that you can punish or put in jail. And the bottom line is this entity generates a LOT of money. So I expect the punishment will be very very minimal.

BTW I am pro business and do think corporations are a good thing IF they have accountability.

Legally, a judge can "pierce the corporate veil" of a company or LLC to get to an individual. This case is a little different. The problem here is more than obvious: at least a half dozen adults - coaches and administrators - knew what Sandusky was up to and did not stop it. Everyone passed the buck as he violated young, at risk boys.

Penn State is sick, and the NCAA is sick for not stepping in. It's a real shame that the NCAA will crawl all over a school for monetary and recruiting improrieties, but felony crimes...out to lunch.

Got to hope that Sandusky and all like him (male or female) gets exactly what he deserves. This is terrible and I simply cannot imagine that it took place over such a long period of time....sad...

• Upvote 1

This is the sickest man that I've heard of in a long time. As a father of a baby boy, I would kill him myself if I found out that he touched my kid. Furthermore, that goes for all you sickos defending him. Touch my kid, and you're done.

too much? too aggressive? sorry, I get worked up about this. :(

• Upvote 1

This is the sickest man that I've heard of in a long time. As a father of a baby boy, I would kill him myself if I found out that he touched my kid. Furthermore, that goes for all you sickos defending him. Touch my kid, and you're done.

Actually he is very typical of the classic pedophile profile. By the time a classic pedophile is actually caught, they have a long line of previous victims left in their wake. Guys like Sandusky got started when they were adolescents. The list of victims is MUCH longer than anyone on this board (well, almost anyone) has ever imagined.

They (pedophiles) all have their particular preferences amongst the pre-adolescent child population, and in Sandusky's case, his choice (10-12 year old boys) would seem more risky because of the verbal skills of a pre-adolescent (very young children are dismissed as being imaginative children telling fairy tales ). But because they are (in this case, and many other cases) children from broken homes, their credibility is always questioned because they are "troubled youths".

Amen. I am the father of two boys and wouldn't think twice about taking matters into my own hands.

• Upvote 2

They (pedophiles) all have their particular preferences amongst the pre-adolescent child population, and in Sandusky's case, his choice (10-12 year old boys) would seem more risky because of the verbal skills of a pre-adolescent (very young children are dismissed as being imaginative children telling fairy tales ). But because they are (in this case, and many other cases) children from broken homes, their credibility is always questioned because they are "troubled youths".

Not necessarily true. Most of the time, by the time the 10-12 year old child tells someone about the abuse, they are in their teens and beyond and have had behavioral issues. Not the most believable witnesses. The really young are often the most believable witnesses because they should have no knowledge base for the accusations they are making unless the allegations are true.

And yes, Sandusky has probably done this to 100s of kids (probably some of his own family members, too). These people see the prey of their choice as nothing more than a vehicle to satisfy their sexual needs. This is why Sandusky is so adamant about the good he has done with other children in his interview. He is striving to present himself as normal when dealing with children, yet he has no idea what that normal relationship is, because he has always viewed children as a sexual vehicle. I would bet Sandusky actually thought the Costas interview went well immediately after.

Not necessarily true. Most of the time, by the time the 10-12 year old child tells someone about the abuse, they are in their teens and beyond and have had behavioral issues. Not the most believable witnesses. The really young are often the most believable witnesses because they should have no knowledge base for the accusations they are making unless the allegations are true.

And yes, Sandusky has probably done this to 100s of kids (probably some of his own family members, too). These people see the prey of their choice as nothing more than a vehicle to satisfy their sexual needs. This is why Sandusky is so adamant about the good he has done with other children in his interview. He is striving to present himself as normal when dealing with children, yet he has no idea what that normal relationship is, because he has always viewed children as a sexual vehicle. I would bet Sandusky actually thought the Costas interview went well immediately after.

I seem to recall them reporting in the beginning that one of the accusers/victims was one of Sandusky's grandchildren. And that's part of the reason everyone made such a stink about him getting house arrest - that he would be able to sit with his family, some of whom were also victims. Did the grandson not testify or choose to pursue the charges?

Either way, Sandusky deserves life in jail without parole.

• Upvote 1