IF ODU accepts the CUSA invite would GM and VCU play BBall only?

If Old Dominion accepts an invite to the CUSA, should the CUSA asked the VCU and GM as basketball only members? Since the CAA is in disarray, it may be an opportune time to strengthen the CUSA has a basketball conference(both men's and women). Virginia Commonwealth and George Mason are established basketball programs. Old Dominion and VCU had a legendary rivalry. We wouldn't want ODU to get lonely would we? Besides I would suspect that both Charlotte and ECU would welcome these additions too. It would provide both, VCU and GMU to participate in a conference with an automatic qualifier to NCAA tournament, compete with other quality programs while maintaining traditional rivalries.

Edited by Mark Gommesen

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VCU

NCAA Tournament Final Four 2011 NCAA Tournament Elite Eight 2011 NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen 2011 NCAA Tournament appearances 1980, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 2004, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 Conference tournament champions 1980, 1981, 1985, 1996, 2004, 2007, 2009, 2012 Conference regular season champions 1981, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009

The VCU Rams men's basketball team is the intercollegiate men's basketball program that represents Virginia Commonwealth University. The Rams compete in the mid-majorColonial Athletic Association in Division I of the National Collegiate Athletic Association(NCAA). Since 1999, the team has played home basketball games at the Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center in Richmond, Virginia on the university's Monroe Park campus. Virginia Commonwealth has made it to the NCAA Final Four once in its program's history, in 2011. Additionally, the Rams won the 2010 CBI Tournamentand have seven conference tournaments; three being in the Sun Belt Conference, and four being in the Colonial Athletic Association. Additionally, the Rams have won nine regular season championships; four from the Sun Belt and five from the CAA. The team is presently coached by Shaka Smart.

The team is best known for their recent Final Four run in the 2011 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament.[1] While the team had made nine NCAA Tournament appearances beforehand, never had the Rams made it beyond the second round of the tournament. In 2011, the Rams' journey to the Final Four began in one of the four opening round games, commonly called "play-in" games, intended to narrow the field from 68 to 64 teams. Thus, VCU became the first team to advance from the "First Four" to the Final Four.From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edited by Mark Gommesen

Absolutely! We just lost Memphis, C-USA's strongest basketball school. What better way to strengthen the conference overall than to bring in three programs that consistently post 20+ win seasons? What better way to increase the conference's marketability to networks than to include the Richmond and Washington DC markets in our footprint? It makes too much sense not to do, especially since neither school fields football teams and both exponentially increase our prestige in basketball, baseball and non-revenue sports.

From wikipedia

George Mason University was catapulted into the national spotlight in March 2006, when its men's basketball team advanced to the Final Four of the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament by defeating the Michigan State Spartans, the defending champion North Carolina Tar Heels, the Wichita State Shockers, and the top-seeded Connecticut Huskies. Their "Cinderella" journey ended in the Final Four with a loss to the eventual tournament champion Florida Gators by a score of 73–58.[69] As a result of the team's success in the tournament, the Patriots were ranked 8th in the final ESPN/USA Today Poll for the 2005–06 season. The New York Times, The Washington Post, Baltimore Sun, and USA Today featured the story on their front pages, and was ranked by several publications as the sports story of the year.

The Patriots, who had never won an NCAA tournament game before 2006, became the first team from the CAA to crash the Final Four and were the first true mid-major conference team since 1979 to do so (that year, the Larry Bird-led Indiana State Sycamores as a #1 seed, and the Penn Quakers as a #9 seed both reached the Final Four). As #11-seeds, the 2006 Patriots also tied the 1986 LSU Tigers as the lowest-seeded team ever to reach the Final Four.

In 2008, the Patriots returned to the NCAA Tournament after winning the CAA Tournament. They were given a 12 seed and matched up against 5th-seeded Notre Dame. The Patriots were unable to make another miracle run, losing to the Irish by a score of 68–50

I can't say I'm a big fan of non-football schools. There always seems be be a rift there, the worst example being the Big East. Now if VCU wanted to add Football that would be fantastic. I have wanted VCU to balance UALR in the Belt. They would be a solid add, in any case.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I can't say I'm a big fan of non-football schools. There always seems be be a rift there, the worst example being the Big East. Now if VCU wanted to add Football that would be fantastic. I have wanted VCU to balance UALR in the Belt. They would be a solid add, in any case.

Has C-USA ever had non-football schools?

While the suggestion makes sense, having non-football schools tends to lessen the perception of the conference. Look at the best and most-respected conferences--the Big 10, SEC, Pac 12, etc. . . . none of them have non-football members.

Has C-USA ever had non-football schools?

While the suggestion makes sense, having non-football schools tends to lessen the perception of the conference. Look at the best and most-respected conferences--the Big 10, SEC, Pac 12, etc. . . . none of them have non-football members.

I believe DePaul and Marquette were members. I don't think the addition of two non-football schools would hurt the conference. If you get into the situation the Big East is in where you have half-a-dozen non-football schools then you run into an issue. However, two successful programs with big markets would not hurt.

Unfortunately, C-USA lost two of it's best basketball programs in Memphis and UCF to the Big East. It is in the Conference best interest to establish a national presence in has many sports has possible including basketball. The addition of Charlotte and Old Dominion will help but the C-USA really needs to consider schools like VCU and GM.

The only sport that the C-USA is truly a division 1 national leader is baseball. If you were to characterized C-USA by one sport it is a baseball conference. Which in some ways makes an UNT a surprised addition and why baseball should be a priority for the school.

Edited by Mark Gommesen

The title of this thread is misleading.

Also, only all sports schools. We don't need a mini-Big East on our hands.

Sorry did not mean to mislead, probably should started with an IF. You have a valid point, the Big East seems to be dividing along football and non-football schools. But, much of that, in my opinion, is because of the poor management of the prior commissioner. Edited by Mark Gommesen
  • Upvote 1

Not really. The way I understand it, the basketball only schools want an equal piece of the pie without funding football and that upsets the footbally playing members since football creates more revenue typically.

• Upvote 1

Not really. The way I understand it, the basketball only schools want an equal piece of the pie without funding football and that upsets the footbally playing members since football creates more revenue typically.

Given the massive disparity between A10/CAA and C-USA payouts, it might be very easy to convince them to take less money overall since they'd be making more money anyway.

• Upvote 1

I believe DePaul and Marquette were members. I don't think the addition of two non-football schools would hurt the conference. If you get into the situation the Big East is in where you have half-a-dozen non-football schools then you run into an issue. However, two successful programs with big markets would not hurt.

As good as VCU and George Mason are in basketball I'd hate to see this become a hybrid conference. DePaul, Marquette and Charlotte left CUSA because football was added. I'd prefer a conference where its members play all sports.

• Upvote 1

Given the massive disparity between A10/CAA and C-USA payouts, it might be very easy to convince them to take less money overall since they'd be making more money anyway.

A10 sent THREE teams to the NCAA Mens Finals last year. All of them won at least one game, one of them made it to the Sweet 16.

The A10 has been a multibid conference 26 out of the 35 years it has existed.

CUSA is losing Memphis with its 3 final fours, 8 elite eights and 11 sweet 16s.

The competition is going to be better, they are going to be with what they consider to be schools of similar similar profiles. The administration at those schools has been reticent to accept the higher costs of FBS football. If they want to play FCS the league sponsors it.

They don't have to fear being locked out of FBS forever because counting UMASS and Charlotte (2013/2015) the league has had six teams move into FBS football.

I love CUSA, it is PERFECT for North Texas at this time. It probably isn't for VCU/GMU.

• Upvote 1

A10 sent THREE teams to the NCAA Mens Finals last year. All of them won at least one game, one of them made it to the Sweet 16.

The competition is going to be better, they are going to be with what they consider to be schools of similar similar profiles. The administration at those schools has been reticent to accept the higher costs of FBS football. If they want to play FCS the league sponsors it.

They don't have to fear being locked out of FBS forever because counting UMASS and Charlotte (2013/2015) the league has had six teams move into FBS football.

I love CUSA, it is PERFECT for North Texas at this time. It probably isn't for VCU/GMU.

I am well aware of the A10 as a basketball conference, I think those of us who want VCU and GMU to join with ODU want to strengthen C-USA's position in basketball as well as our media footprint. With the loss of Memphis we need an influx of solid basketball programs to enable us to put three our four teams in the tournament, and the addition of ODU, VCU, and GMU would help our RPI, and if we place more teams in the tournament we get more money from the NCAA and that means more in conference payouts.

I think the fact that they do not field football teams is a positive. It means C-USA wouldn't dilute its football brand while strengthening virtually every other sport it fields, thus enabling new and existing members the ability to recruits better student-athletes, greater access to media (they do show some non-revenue sports from conferences that field consistently good teams), and finally more NCAA tournament appearances in every sport (raising brand awareness and revenues).

Both schools also fit the academic profile of C-USA, and both schools have more in common (large state universities) with the C-USA members than they do with the A10 (largely small private schools), especially with the departure of Temple and UMass.

• Upvote 1

As always Cerebus, you make some excellent points. In many ways, the A-10 is good fit for the VCU/GMU. It is true, A10 sent THREE teams to the NCAA Mens Finals last year. All of them won at least one game, one of them made it to the Sweet 16. The A10 has been a multibid conference 26 out of the 35 years it has existed.

But, this maybe extactly why C-USA maybe more appealing than the A-10. First, the three teams that made it to the NCAA Mens Finals last year are not going anywhere. By joining the A-10, GMU/VCU are entering an almost impossible enivironment to win a conference championship or an additional at large bid to the NCAA. Can VCU/GMU stand out in a crowded room?

However in the C-USA, with the addition of Old Dominion and Charlotte, not to mention up and coming programs like UNT, there will still be plenty of quality basketball. With Memphis leaving it creates a vaccuum but also a unique opportunity, GMU/VCU would be in the hunt for a conference championship and an automatic NCAA bid, almost immediately. In the C-USA GMU/VCU would certainly stand out in a room with bigger media exposure and money.

Let's be honest at best GMU/VCU coming to the C-USA is a long shot. But wouldn't it be great to watch some of these teams at the Superpit?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1