So long

emmitt01

I honestly don't care how the YAC board is reacting. It's a total snark board. UNTBowler/Tennis Hack hasn't liked JJ for several years. While Roadrunner/phoenix hasn't been around that long from what I remember - he defeinitely wasn't a fan of Coach Jones from the time he has been posting. Some of the other guys (like Caws, I respect him too much to call out his GMG identity, though itis pretty obvious too) have a more nuanced view of JJ.

LSU is not set up very well for JJ, so he very well could be out of a job after a few years. They are definitely a rebuilding project, and while not as big as the one here 11 years ago, he also isn't gonna work wih a patient fanbase. If he's fired from there it's not gonna invalidate at all what he did here, and if some of those clowns celebrate if he is fired down the road, then they're just petty jerks (like, why would you celebrate someone getting canned from their dream job when that person doesn't even coach your school anymore). You think the former Boise State football coaches that failed elsewhere prove they somehow weren't good a BSU? Hardly.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I didn't think Jones would get the job, so I am two for two wrong; thought the same thing about Aston.

I also don't think losing Jones or Aston is the end of world or definitely not something to applaud.

Jones turned this program around from the depths of bad, he has also been the only coach that has had success with multiple teams at NT in forty plus years. Blakeley had a very good team but with primarily players he did not recruit and once they left could not recover. Way back, Spika who I think was the best coach NT has had in my times, only real success was when Joe Hamilton and Crest Whitaker were on the team. Gales only won in a couple of consecutive years.

The negative on Jones is that he did not ever take that one step up that would put NT in the upper echelon of non power conference teams. The reason I was surprised that Jones was in such demand, is in my view his last two year were not all that good. Two years ago he had assembled a team that should have killed the Belt, didn't happen. Injuries were critical but JJ did for whatever reason go into the season two players short and overall failed to recruit the help that particular team needed. Last year many think he did very well, not me: a team with Mitchell should have been better than 9-7 in the Belt. I don't want to get in another debate over it, but I was not happy at all with the way he handled the J. Williams and C. Jones situation.

The great positives of Jones in my view was that he was always a great representative of the school and his teams in general did not have the issues of many other teams. Most coaches in the Belt recruit numbers of players every year, lose or run off a bunch of them and then start again next year. Jones provided relatively great stability with his team, I think he really cared about the players. Another given with Johnny, is that the team was always going to peak in time for the Belt tournament. Jones also obviously has an eye for talent, frankly before Forrest he didn't get the headliners but he got kids that could play.

My point with this rambling is that those that think that JJ can be easily replaced are obviously wrong. However, there are people out there to be hired that are better coaches than Jones, it is going to be far from easy but we have to hope RV finds one that can build on what Jones has accomplished.

• Upvote 4

1334419666' post='637310']

I didn't think Jones would get the job, so I am two for two wrong; thought the same thing about Aston.

I also don't think losing Jones or Aston is the end of world or definitely not something to applaud.

Jones turned this program around from the depths of bad, he has also been the only coach that has had success with multiple teams at NT in forty plus years. Blakeley had a very good team but with primarily players he did not recruit and once they left could not recover. Way back, Spika who I think was the best coach NT has had in my times, only real success was when Joe Hamilton and Crest Whitaker were on the team. Gales only won in a couple of consecutive years.

The negative on Jones is that he did not ever take that one step up that would put NT in the upper echelon of non power conference teams. The reason I was surprised that Jones was in such demand, is in my view his last two year were not all that good. Two years ago he had assembled a team that should have killed the Belt, didn't happen. Injuries were critical but JJ did for whatever reason go into the season two players short and overall failed to recruit the help that particular team needed. Last year many think he did very well, not me: a team with Mitchell should have been better than 9-7 in the Belt. I don't want to get in another debate over it, but I was not happy at all with the way he handled the J. Williams and C. Jones situation.

The great positives of Jones in my view was that he was always a great representative of the school and his teams in general did not have the issues of many other teams. Most coaches in the Belt recruit numbers of players every year, lose or run off a bunch of them and then start again next year. Jones provided relatively great stability with his team, I think he really cared about the players. Another given with Johnny, is that the team was always going to peak in time for the Belt tournament. Jones also obviously has an eye for talent, frankly before Forrest he didn't get the headliners but he got kids that could play.

My point with this rambling is that those that think that JJ can be easily replaced are obviously wrong. However, there are people out there to be hired that are better coaches than Jones, it is going to be far from easy but we have to hope RV finds one that can build on what Jones has accomplished.

Well said

• Upvote 1

Reached my quota for the day, otherwise +1.

This board isn't as candy-heaven and sweet as some on other boards make it out to be. No one was happy losing 18 point leads, or to some terrible RPI teams.

But, I think in totality, we understood there is always a chance with the teams he put together and with this program that he has built. I've liked some of the guys that post over there that used to post here, but I guess they couldn't express their true opinions here for fear of getting banned? Or perhaps, they just needed like-minded individuals only, and heads would explode if someone liked something.

It just seems like a perpetuating spiral of depression over there, dwelling on the same things people have always had issues with. Doesn't mean they aren't issues, just some people tend to move past negatives and look at positives and it seems they support each others negativity. It might be a half-empty, half-full mindset, but some on other boards seem to be truly spiteful and venomous of some over here, and I just don't understand it. I thought we were trying to support and get to the same place as a fan-base.

I will say tho, I am happy to hear some of the guys that slowed their posting here are still posting somewhere, because if they weren't, I'd be concerned that they stopped supporting, and that's not good for anyone, especially the athletes.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Well said

Very well said. This ridiculous Aston vs. Jones faux rivalry where both coaches just came to represent two groups of people is one of the stupidest things to ever happen in a community that has seen a tremendous amount of stupid. It's like Twilight, but with blown double digit leads, a pair of crushing tournament losses and lots of weird, misplaced anger. I wish Johnny the best in the general sense, but am not really worried about how he does at LSU - and the same goes for Aston. Mainly, I hope both new hires make us look back a few years from now and laugh at how far we've come.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Very well said. This ridiculous Aston vs. Jones faux rivalry where both coaches just came to represent two groups of people is one of the stupidest things to ever happen in a community that has seen a tremendous amount of stupid. It's like Twilight, but with blown double digit leads, a pair of crushing tournament losses and lots of weird, misplaced anger. I wish Johnny the best in the general sense, but am not really worried about how he does at LSU - and the same goes for Aston. Mainly, I hope both new hires make us look back a few years from now and laugh at how far we've come.

Lab-Partners-Team-Jacob-Team-Edward.jpg

hilarious

SNL skit