Damion McKinney

bdan2002

7279679.jpeg

Waco native Damion McKinney begins his sixth year as a member of coach Mulkey's staff after joining the Lady Bear program on August 16, 2006.

McKinney works primarily with the Lady Bear guards and in recruiting. His recruiting efforts have been instrumental in Baylor signing some of the top talent. Since he has arrived at Baylor he has helped sign the nation's No.1 recruiting class in 2009, bring in two McDonald's All-American transfers, as well as sign the top players in the state of Texas in 2008, 2009 & 2010. These players have gone on to win back-to-back National Freshman of the Year and Big 12 Freshman of the Year awards, as well as Newcomer of the Year honors. Under his tutelage, several guards have earned numerous Big 12 Conference honors.

Since McKinney's arrival the Lady Bears have won two Big 12 conference tournament championships, one regular-season title and advanced to the 2010 Final Four.

A 1992 graduate of La Vega (Texas) High School, McKinney came to the Lady Bear program from the Dallas-based DFW Elite Basketball organization where he was the program's elite recruiting coordinator. Many of his former players have gone on to play in the Big 12, as well as the WNBA. In addition, he has coached at the high school level, most recently as an assistant boys coach at Dallas' Sunset High School where he taught ninth grade history.

The 37-year-old earned his bachelor of science degree from Midwestern State University (MSU) in Wichita Falls, Texas, where he was a two-time first-team All-Lone Star Conference basketball selection. McKinney still holds the MSU record for three-pointers in a game with nine. Prior to transferring to MSU, he played at Waco's McLennan Community College.

During his prep career at La Vega, McKinney was a standout performer in football, basketball and track.

McKinney's wife's name is Amy.

I think that is dilemma we have:

1. We want someone with head coaching experience. We don't have the cache (like a Texas) to pull someone from a big time program to come here and coach. That either means getting a head coach from a smaller conference or someone in a lower division. Then of course there is getting an Associate Head Coach who used to be a head coach, but you have to realize they are not a head coach anymore for a reason.

2. We don't want an up and coming assistant. Kim Mulkey was an up and coming assistant and you see where she has taken Baylor in a few years. I think if we focus on programs that are consistently in the NCAA tournament, and teams in the Big 12 - then I think we can find a quality assistant that has the ties to the area that can really boost our program.

Just my 2 cents!

• Upvote 5

Damn, good find. I remember watching him play @ Midwestern. Very good player

Midwestern has been a good basketball school for quite a while. They didn't have football there when I attended in my first go around at college, but I'm showing my age (and I WILL be 65 day after tomorrow).

• Upvote 1

Better to get someone who can coach but can't recruit? The two talents are not mutually exclusive just because Trilli couldn't do both.

Trilli also played a murders row for OOC games, pretty easy to break spirits of team when getting manhandled every game.