Leroy Winfield

Saw in the "North Texan" that Leroy has passed away. One of the best players, I have seen in a NT basketball uniform and the only one that I know of that actually had an NBA career. Played for NT during the MVC days and at 6'2 jumped center for the Green. Dunks were not allowed in those days, but he had one of the best verticals of any NT players I've seen. Played on a short team even for the time, on the same team as Hamilton and Whitaker who were the guards as a senior. All three I think are in the NT HOF. The fastest team I wager that NT has ever had.

• Upvote 4

I saw in the obit that Lee was a NCAA Div.II All American. If the Missouri Valley was division II, it was a hell of a div.II league with at least two teams in the top 20 in the nation. Obviously, someone did not do their homework for the obit. Lee was great and really could jump out of the gym. Obit also omitted the fact that he did some coaching at the Div.I level as an assistant coach for Missouri and St. Louis U., I think.

• Upvote 1