NT Signee Dutton Watson Article

UNTLifer

Damn these kids can throw. I thought I was pretty good when I was throwing in the 140s in the late 1990s and was winning medals. Not anymore. Good for them.

I hope our commits can win state track titles and come in here and win us some conference track titles.

It is good that they are performing well this spring in track but those distances do not translate well to college throws. They need to be in the 65-70 range in shot and consistantly near 200 feet for discus. There are also quiet a few accmplished/state caliber throwers already on the football team. None of them do track. Last one that did was Brock Stickler from Lampasas who threw discus.

Edited by Voice of Reason
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It is good that they are performing well this spring in track but those distances do not translate well to college throws. They need to be in the 65-70 range in shot and consistantly near 200 feet for discus. There are also quite a few accmplished/state caliber throwers already on the football team. None of them do track. Last one that did was Brock Stickler from Lampasas who threw disk.

Actually, those throws are very good this early in the season. I not sure why you think they don't translate well to college. 65 to 70 in the shot and 200 in the discus would mean you are at the top or near as the best hs thrower in the nation. Someone with those numbers would have their pick of colleges. Stickler had a top 3 discus throw in the nation in high school at just under 200 feet and it is fairly obvious based on what little time he threw in college that he would have been one of the best in the Belt if he had participated more.

I assume the distances you are quoted would be necessary for a full ride at a big time track school but hardly necessary to compete very successfully in college track. Based on McDorman and Watson's current numbers they would be close to the best on NT's track team right now. Name one current NT football player who had better high school results, there might be a couple but I doubt it.

• Upvote 1

Actually, those throws are very good this early in the season. I not sure why you think they don't translate well to college. 65 to 70 in the shot and 200 in the discus would mean you are at the top or near as the best hs thrower in the nation. Someone with those numbers would have their pick of colleges. Stickler had a top 3 discus throw in the nation in high school at just under 200 feet and it is fairly obvious based on what little time he threw in college that he would have been one of the best in the Belt if he had participated more.

I assume the distances you are quoted would be necessary for a full ride at a big time track school but hardly necessary to compete very successfully in college track. Based on McDorman and Watson's current numbers they would be close to the best on NT's track team right now. Name one current NT football player who had better high school results, there might be a couple but I doubt it.

Yes but they are not using collegiate implements. High schoolers use 12 lbs shot and 1.6 kilo discus. Collegiates use 16 lb shot and 2.0 kilo discus which makes for a very big difference. I looked up what UNT throwers are presently doing. Discus is 166 feet and 147 feet. Neither placed in the points at SBC championship. The best throw in shot was 51 feet good enough for 7th. Stickler threw the disc 198 feet in high school (10th best in Nation) and only 182 feet at UNT.(UNT record)

Again, I am not knocking the kids on their efforts and success. I am pointing out that there is a huge time issue involved in splitting football and track. I would rather see them focus their efforts on developing into productive football players than take away valuable time and energy from that development by doing both.

Yes but they are not using collegiate implements. High schoolers use 12 lbs shot and 1.6 kilo discus. Collegiates use 16 lb shot and 2.0 kilo discus which makes for a very big difference. I looked up what UNT throwers are presently doing. Discus is 166 feet and 147 feet. Neither placed in the points at SBC championship. The best throw in shot was 51 feet good enough for 7th. Stickler threw the disc 198 feet in high school (10th best in Nation) and only 182 feet at UNT.(UNT record)

Again, I am not knocking the kids on their efforts and success. I am pointing out that there is a huge time issue involved in splitting football and track. I would rather see them focus their efforts on developing into productive football players than take away valuable time and energy from that development by doing both.

Actually threw in state high school state meet, so I am well aware of weights involved. Use your own example, Stickler who has UNT record only threw one year and yet was able to get within 20 feet of his best high school throw and would have won the Belt if he could have come close to his UNT record. Obviously athletes differ but it is reasonable to believe that someone who throws the hs shot 56 feet should be able to easily get the 16 lb shot within 10 feet of that right now which would make them the second best on the NT team. In college they should significantly improve on that.

Whether or not they should try both sports is a separate question, obviously one would take away from the other because spring training and track conflict. However, many athletes at many teams make it work.

• Upvote 1

Man, you are an expert on everything, aren't you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Actually threw in state high school state meet, so I am well aware of weights involved. Use your own example, Stickler who has UNT record only threw one year and yet was able to get within 20 feet of his best high school throw and would have won the Belt if he could have come close to his UNT record. Obviously athletes differ but it is reasonable to believe that someone who throws the hs shot 56 feet should be able to easily get the 16 lb shot within 10 feet of that right now which would make them the second best on the NT team. In college they should significantly improve on that.

Whether or not they should try both sports is a separate question, obviously one would take away from the other because spring training and track conflict. However, many athletes at many teams make it work.

Agree with the entire statement. It is time issue.