McCarney, still hospitalized, confirms stroke but sounds cheery

Harry

Thanks to ISU Aggie for posting this very encouraging news on Coach Mac:

McCarney, now coach at North Texas, confirmed that he suffered a stroke Sunday morning, shortly after his daily workout.

“I was just sitting down to eat a sandwich when my left side went numb,” said McCarney, the North Texas coach who coached at Iowa State 12 seasons. “Talk about a scary feeling.”

McCarney was rushed to the hospital in a helicopter, where a stroke was detected.

“Something happened on the left side in the back of my brain,” said McCarney, a former Iowa player and assistant coach. “My left side – all of a sudden everything went numb.”

He underwent tests Monday and was undergoing tests Tuesday morning.

“The doctors – and they’ve been fantastic – say I’m fine,” McCarney said. “They’re expecting a full recovery – no permanent damage.”

Spring practice?

“I’m supposed to get out of the hospital in a couple days,” he said. “I feel good right now. I’ve got a little tingling feeling, but hey, if that’s the worst of it, I’d say I’m a pretty lucky guy.

“Nothing wrong with me that a little Grey Goose won’t cure.”

McCarney, 58, is entering his second season as the North Texas coach. Monday, the university issued this statement:

Read more: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120214/SPORTS/120214005/McCarney-still-hospitalized-confirms-stroke-but-sounds-cheery

This post has been promoted to an article

“I’m supposed to get out of the hospital in a couple days,” he said. “I feel good right now. I’ve got a little tingling feeling, but hey, if that’s the worst of it, I’d say I’m a pretty lucky guy.

“Nothing wrong with me that a little Grey Goose won’t cure.”

Love his spirit.

I was amazed at how great of shape he keeps himself in. While doing some measuring for Boomer in Apogee last August I saw him running stairs with ease.

Pretty amazing for someone his age in that temperature.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

God Bless DMac. Glad to see he still has a great sense of humor. Regardless of opinions of the past year DMac has done a great deal for the university and the team. Here's to a quick recovery.

I don't know how anybody can say a negative about what DMAC has done since the day he set foot on campus.

Get well DMAC.

• Upvote 2

Love his spirit.

I was amazed at how great of shape he keeps himself in. While doing some measuring for Boomer in Apogee last August I saw him running stairs with ease.

Pretty amazing for someone his age in that temperature.

Rick

I saw Mac a number of times at the road team hotel fitness room working out the morning before a game later that day.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps a few of our fans should take on Coach Mac's positive attitude and find the positive in whats going on at UNT a little more often! This is great GREAT news about Coach Mac. The guy is incredible and the Mean Green Nation is lucky to have Coach Mac leading the way for the football program. I hope he leads the way for as many years as he cares to do so, and that it is for many successful years to come...

GO COACH MAC...GO MEAN GREEN! Here's keeping you in my thoughts and prayers....go get 'em Coach Mac!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2

Perhaps a few of our fans should take on Coach Mac's positive attitude and find the positive in whats going on at UNT a little more often! This is great GREAT news about Coach Mac. The guy is incredible and the Mean Green Nation is lucky to have Coach Mac leading the way for the football program. I hope he leads the way for as many years as he cares to do so, and that it is for many successful years to come...

GO COACH MAC...GO MEAN GREEN! Here's keeping you in my thoughts and prayers....go get 'em Coach Mac!

What an amazing guy! And yes I hope our fans can recognize his dedication and enthusiasm for our program despite the adversity he is facing! Keeping you in my prayers Coach Mac!

• Upvote 1