Minute Distribution

All this is assuming Patton doesn't gain his eligibility...but my take on who I'd like to see on the floor and for how long during conference play.

PG - Chris Jones - 30, Trey Norris - 10

I think this is pretty clear cut, Jones needs to be on the ball when he's on the floor and Norris is developing into a nice pass-first point guard (he hasn't taken a shot in his last 4 games) to drive the bus while Jones rests.

SG - Alzee Williams - 30, Brandon Walton - 5, Jordan Williams - 5

Alzee lets the game come to him better than anyone else on the roster...he takes advantage of scoring chances, plays great on the ball defense without fouling and has been going to the glass more of late as well. I'd put Walton on the floor, if he knocks down a few shots keep him on, if he goes 0fer have him grab a seat. I don't think Jordan should see extended time at the 2, but a few minutes with maybe Franklin, Holmen and Mitchell on the floor could cause some real match-up problems

SF - Jordan Williams - 20, Franklin - 10, Holmen - 10

Jordan is inconsistent, especially with his shooting, but he's starting to use his athleticism in other areas and if he gets his stroke going he would be a ridiculous 3rd option in conference.

PF - Tony Mitchell - 15, Franklin - 15, Holmen - 10

I'll get to Mitchell in a moment...Franklin and Holmen bring completely different games, but I think are interchangeable at the 3 and 4 spots...I'd like to see them on the floor together a bit more, especially to bring offense for the stretches when Mitchell needs a blow

C - Ked / Zo / Niko - 25, Mitchell - 15

I think Mitchell closes most nights at the 5...CJ, Alzee, Jordan, Franklin or Holmen, Mitchell...for the other minutes we've a three-headed monster who I've plenty of faith in to average a double-double between them.

Edited by Censored by Laurie
  • Upvote 2

Good post CBL. I agree that Brendon has to get used to the fact that if he can't come in and hit outside shots he has little value for us. If he comes in and misses a couple of threes he needs to go to the bench.

Have we confirmed Forrest is being redshirted? I'm thinking that makes the most sense.

Good post CMJ. I agree that Brendon has to get used to the fact that if he can't come in and hit outside shots he has little value for us. If he comes in and misses a couple of threes he needs to go to the bench.

Have we confirmed Forrest is being redshirted? I'm thinking that makes the most sense.

As much as I'd like to take credit....that was CBL, not me.

Edited by CMJ

Good post CMJ. I agree that Brendon has to get used to the fact that if he can't come in and hit outside shots he has little value for us. If he comes in and misses a couple of threes he needs to go to the bench.

He can't take a regular redshirt. They haven't decided if they should apply for a medical, but even if they do they won't hear back from the NCAA until after the season.

He can't take a regular redshirt. They haven't decided if they should apply for a medical, but even if they do they won't hear back from the NCAA until after the season.

He has a big boot on his foot. Medical redshift makes the most sense, and he should be a shoe in with as little as he has played. Maybe he should change his last name to Keenum just to make sure.

He really needs a year in the cafeteria and weight room.

• Upvote 1

Franklin matching Jordans minutes and Alzee playing more minutes then Jordan?... And Walton with only 5? I guess it's tough when you have such a deep bench.

I love Alzee...but I'll also say that I think his extended minutes are a bit by default as well. I don't think Jordan should be defending the 2 for extended minutes and I certainly don't think Norris or Walton have shown enough to cut into the well-rounded minutes Alzee gives you.

Basically I think Jordan, Mitchell, Franklin and Holmen will split the whole 80 available minutes at the 3-4 spots...with Mitchell seeing time at the 5...and I'm more than OK with just riding the hot hand that game.

If Walton is hitting he plays more...if he's not he sits. He doesn't bring any intangible to the game that Alzee doesn't...he's not the better ball-handler, he's not the better defender...he's a shooter who so far has shot 50% in just one game against a D-1 opponent...a 2-4 night at Mississippi State...since he's 2-8, 1-8, 1-9, 1-6 and 3-8. That doesn't merit minutes.

I love Alzee...but I'll also say that I think his extended minutes are a bit by default as well. I don't think Jordan should be defending the 2 for extended minutes and I certainly don't think Norris or Walton have shown enough to cut into the well-rounded minutes Alzee gives you.

Basically I think Jordan, Mitchell, Franklin and Holmen will split the whole 80 available minutes at the 3-4 spots...with Mitchell seeing time at the 5...and I'm more than OK with just riding the hot hand that game.

If Walton is hitting he plays more...if he's not he sits. He doesn't bring any intangible to the game that Alzee doesn't...he's not the better ball-handler, he's not the better defender...he's a shooter who so far has shot 50% in just one game against a D-1 opponent...a 2-4 night at Mississippi State...since he's 2-8, 1-8, 1-9, 1-6 and 3-8. That doesn't merit minutes.

I don't see that as a negative for Walton...it should motivate him. He was brought in to play that role and so far he has struggled. Deep shooting is not easy...you can tell he is trying to find a rhythm. I'm really interested to see how he does against LSU.

What I love about Alzee, Roger, and (so far, I think) Trey: They don't try to play outside their abilities. They don't take forced shots, they don't assume they can hit from anywhere with a hand in their face... They play smart, sharp, and within themselves.

Not a slap at anyone else on the team... But I can't remember ever being frustrated with anything I've seen them do. It's very, very nice to have 3 guys like that on one team.

Great thread. Some things that i've seen. While Walton has been cold, he did hit his last three 3's in the Grambling game. Maybe coming out of his funk?

Ked is playing much better with Mitchell on the floor.

Franklin is coming into his own and will get more and more minutes.

TOo bad Jacob has seen such limited time. He was really coming on last year when he got hurt. He could be really valuable if he used his skills from 10-15 feet out.

Really like how Alzee will put down a mid range jumper. He really plays within himself.

Beat LSU

I would shorten the rotation with major minutes to Jones, Williams, Williams, Franklin, Hogans and Mitchell. I would give Norris at least 10m, I think he is really coming on. The others I would put in if the game dictates by players tiring or fouls but certainly wouldn't make minutes for them. I really think this team is so talented that most of the players left out of my rotation could have started for the majority of NT teams. Niko, Holmen, Edwards and Walton have all had moments but IMO are going to have to get a lot more consistent to play more than single digit minutes.

Most team plays 7 to 8 regularly, but that has never been JJ's style unless he is short handed like last year. There are reasons to play everyone but it is my belief that NT's core group is just better with 6 of them capable of being all conference players. The team is not very good right now and I think that is primarily because of inexperience, more playing time should help. Once the rotation gels than more substitutions may be better.

• Upvote 1

What I love about Alzee, Roger, and (so far, I think) Trey: They don't try to play outside their abilities. They don't take forced shots, they don't assume they can hit from anywhere with a hand in their face... They play smart, sharp, and within themselves.

Not a slap at anyone else on the team... But I can't remember ever being frustrated with anything I've seen them do. It's very, very nice to have 3 guys like that on one team.

I do like Walton because he just has this "swagger" if you will about him... But he is a scorer. Norris seems to be a pass first pg which is fine with me since CJ is rolling. Alzee is a good defender but he did miss two dunks last game and had a few bad plays. Franklin is a hustler but I cannot stand when he tries to spot up a shot and puts the ball on the floor! Every time he catches and takes a dribble before his shot he seems to miss. I wish he would catch and fire! Walton seems to be able to create his own shot (granted he does not always hit it) Franklin has a lot of put backs and post points.