cusa/mwc

wardly

we talk about how the lack of a baseball program could hurt other conference opportunities for North Texas. with the loss of SMU,Houston, and UCF, 7 of remaining 9 CUSA schools offer baseball,with Tulsa and UTEP being the exceptions[sMU dropped their program in mid 60's]. with the loss of Boise and SDSU, the MWV is down to 5 schools, only 3 of which play baseball. they will pick up 2 more baseball teams when Fresno and Nevada/Reno join. Hawaii is joining for football only, and putting baseball and all their other sports in Big West. this will leave MWC with 8 schools and 5 baseball programs.[9 schools and 5 programs if UTEP moves to MWV].my question:is having a baseball program necessary to move up to CUSA or MWC, or is it just a peace of our athletic puzzle that would be nice to have.just asking, as i have no personal opinion.

We're in a talent hotbed for baseball talent. There is no reason why UNT shouldn't have a baseball program sooner or later. That said we also need to get men's soccer at some point as well because we have the ability to have a good program there as well.

And finally my last wish list and I know it will never happen but that is for UNT to add mens ice hockey. I think a sport like that would be a hit here and I think we'd get a ton of support from the Stars and all the former players etc that have settled in this area even after their playing days. Wishful thinking I know.

• Upvote 1

Baseball is something that is brought up by us message board geniuses, I bet it is of little significance to the ones actually making the decisions.

CUSA still sits at the big boy table in baseball and does consider it a priority sport. Rice, Tulane and Southern Miss drive the conference in baseball. ECU and Houston are pretty significant losses in baseball with final RPIs of 27 and 62 respectively last season.

I know this is football country and all other sports pale mightily in comparison, but there are six conferences out there that really do care about baseball, and CUSA is one of them.

As for the MWC, yeah, not so much.