Column on Coach Mac

Marty

Here is the link, but you'll need to be a DMN subscriber to see it.

One point of interest is we only need 12,143 at the game Saturday to set an new season attendance record. That should be achievable, "should" being the operative word.

I'm also glad to read about DMac putting "student" back into student-athlete at NT. Most players at most programs will not be making a living playing football on Sundays and even those that do are owed an education from their universities.

Not to worry. The attendance taking staff from SMU will be filling in this week. Estimated attendance will be no lower than 15K.

That works for me.....Harry and I discussed on the podcast... If season ticket holders request tickets and season tickets sold automatically count towards attendance, then do the extra free tickets automatically count too?

UNT has posted Gosselin's column:

http://inthenews.unt...=view&id=150436

I didn't know the academics were such a mess when he arrived. I'm glad he is focusing on that, because it's a disservice to UNT athletes to let them leave without a diploma.

Wow I didn't realize the academics were that bad as well. I kept on hearing and reading on the board that was one of the things that Dodge did better when he came here? I'm serious.

Wow I didn't realize the academics were that bad as well. I kept on hearing and reading on the board that was one of the things that Dodge did better when he came here? I'm serious.

I was under the impression that Dodge improved academics... Weren't we under APR penalties until his final season, when we finally had all of our scholarships? If academics were this terrible AFTER he left, imagine how bad they were when he got here? :unsure:

• Upvote 1

This column is great PR for the program - parents want to see an emphasis on academics as much as they want to see an emphasis on football.

We know that a football coach has to win over the parents as much as he has to win over the son.

GMG

I knew RV improved the graduations rate a ton... I didn't know that Mac had such an impact on the GPA. Good job Mac!

I thought Dodge improved academics too. Add that to the list of things he did badly in Denton.