Does Micah Thompson Move Back to DT?

UNTLifer

With the Feldt brothers and Walling joining the team next year, as well as Ellard and Shaw coming off of redshirt years and Y'Barbo, Lemon and Johnson being either Fr. or RSFr, does Mac move Thompson back to DT? DT has become an area of need with Brooks and White leaving the team and only 4 players at the position on the depth chart.

With the Feldt brothers and Walling joining the team next year, as well as Ellard and Shaw coming off of redshirt years and Y'Barbo, Lemon and Johnson being either Fr. or RSFr, does Mac move Thompson back to DT? DT has become an area of need with Brooks and White leaving the team and only 4 players at the position on the depth chart.

Trust in Mac. I believe he knows how to get the best out of his line play...both O and D. Despite conf crap, I now remain optimistic...

I dunno but the offensive line is going to be a helluva unit over the next 3 years!

Edited by tylermeangreen
  • Upvote 3

My guess is that the Thompson move had a lot more to do with ability than need. It is very common to move defensive linemen to the opposite side. Remember Santiago, there were posters wanting him back on the defensive side for years despite him being a very good offensive lineman and never showing anything on defense.

Defensive linemen are usually moved to offense because they lack the quickness for defense, not something you can coach.

For all we know Micah Thompson might be one of the top 5 offensive linemen on the squad. Some that are now on offense might be quicker/faster and would make better defensive linemen. We'll just have to trust Coach Mac that he'll find the best defensive tackles to put on the field.

But I do hope that they find some 300 pound defensive tackles that are FBS quality players to replace Boutwell. Ryan may be strong, quick, tough-as-nails and the other qualities needed for DT but he has to give away 30-50 pounds to the O-lineman blocking him. I see him as an all-conference defensive end but only an adequate tackle.

Help not replace, yes he gives up weight, but he will gain more during the off season. Our DT play is just fine with Boutwell in there.. Hs has been tried at DE....Don't fix it if its broken!

Micahs got good hands, but his feet are quite slow for the Dline.

Edited by slugg