SMU Fans talking UNT to CUSA

Harry

Alright, I typically avoid posting in threads regarding UNT/SMU due to a minor conflict of interest, but I could'nt resist. My mother is a contributing alumni at SMU and my brother played basketball there as well. I decided on UNT (on my mothers advice) because unlike most I went to the school with the best program for my professional field. My goal was to work for one of the big 4 acct. firms(acheived, mother knows best!), and ironically enough UNT has one of the better acct/auditing programs in the country.

Having said that, outside of the state of Texas UNT and SMU are essentially irrelavent. As far as the national recognition game goes its a short list in Texas..

1.)UT

2.)Rice

3.)A&M

It's comical some of the statements that a select pool of SMU grads./students make, those poor souls are sadly disillustioned. If your rich, smart and from Dallas; your ass better be at UT. Elitist attitudes are strictly reserved for the three aforementioned institutions of higher learning. Mature SMU alums understand these points, trust me.

As far as conference realignment goes, UNT will get an invite from a larger conference winning or losing; Dallas is a strong market not to be overlooked. I wish the best for both SMU and UNT, both programs are doing great things. Should be interesting when we meet on the schedule.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

SMUt needs to cool their jets. They're getting into the Big East by default, they have no fan base, they have as little media penetration as we do and are, perhaps, the most overrated educational college in the state of Texas. I'd put us on an equal or better base there. Bible-thumping presbyterians can go somewhere else. *vent*

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

SMUt needs to cool their jets. They're getting into the Big East by default, they have no fan base, they have as little media penetration as we do and are, perhaps, the most overrated educational college in the state of Texas. I'd put us on an equal or better base there. Bible-thumping presbyterians can go somewhere else. *vent*

Wow that one took a sharp veer to the left. GMG

Alright, I typically avoid posting in threads regarding UNT/SMU due to a minor conflict of interest, but I could'nt resist. My mother is a contributing alumni at SMU and my brother played basketball there as well. I decided on UNT (on my mothers advice) because unlike most I went to the school with the best program for my professional field. My goal was to work for one of the big 4 acct. firms(acheived, mother knows best!), and ironically enough UNT has one of the better acct/auditing programs in the country.

Having said that, outside of the state of Texas UNT and SMU are essentially irrelavent. As far as the national recognition game goes its a short list in Texas..

1.)UT

2.)Rice

3.)A&M

It's comical some of the statements that a select pool of SMU grads./students make, those poor souls are sadly disillustioned. If your rich, smart and from Dallas; your ass better be at UT. Elitist attitudes are strictly reserved for the three aforementioned institutions of higher learning. Mature SMU alums understand these points, trust me.

As far as conference realignment goes, UNT will get an invite from a larger conference winning or losing; Dallas is a strong market not to be overlooked. I wish the best for both SMU and UNT, both programs are doing great things. Should be interesting when we meet on the schedule.

Really?

1.)UT

2.)Rice

3.)A&M

Are you saying that you are neither rich, smart, nor from Dallas, or should we ask your mother whether or not those factors are truly "relavent" in regard to where you attended school?

What's new pussycat? Anyone read what you haven't already seen or read before with THE SMU ATTITUDE around these parts long before you and many of us came to North Texas or even knew UNT was in Denton--not Denison as I thought early high school years in Greater Houston Town.

You ever know a rich kid who had it all from mommy and daddy? Did you ever see them receive (for no earned effort on their part) lets say a brand new XJS Jaguar; then all the neighborhood fellow rich friends pats ol' Bif on the back for "his" accomplishment with even a few high 5's thrown in the celebration for (maybe) a week and then Bif goes back to his usual modus operendi and.....puts his Jag in daddy's estate's 6 car garage because he was already bored with it so again........... it's merely back to business as usual for good ol' "Bif'fy Boy..............That will be SMU in the Big East. That was SMU in CUSA.

The Big East? No research from them and just going on somebody's (?) (Craig James of ESPN as the smu front man is my big guess) high fevered sales pitch, their word as good as Fool's Gold and some pretty tall Texas footballs tales thrown in to boot for all the B.E yanks sitting around that huge conference table who were to the person suckered in. Just sayin'...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The envy runs rampant with you all in regard to SMU--you guys are obsessed with anything that SMU does or says. You guys should NEVER post on SMU unless you're playing them...and the "insight"/knowledge you think you possess is asinine and if you want to talk about fan support--try selling out your own stadium for it's GRAND OPENING--welcome to "APATHY" U. Let the negative responses commence... but, if you're a realist and are honest with yourselves you'll understand that this post is 100% true. Worry about your team and get the CHIP(s) off of your shoulder.

Edited by cdawgrun
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

I'm sure he's talking about academics, which I'd have to agree with. I grew up in California/Canada but was well aware of Rice's academics. SMU? Not so much.

Yeah, I wasn't really conscious of any Texas schools growing up. Didn't register with me on sports or academics. I'd heard of SMU, knew of the Longhorns because Chris Simms was on some magazine cover, and Texas Tech when Bobby Knight went there. But I had no idea where any of the aforementioned schools were located, what their mascots were, if they were good schools or good athletic programs. Nothing. It just didn't register.

So, to this thing of these conferences spanning from sea to shining sea, and national recognition blah blah blah. It's strange to me. I would much rather watch Cal North Texas play Stanford SMU, or to a lesser extent, San Diego St. Texas St play Fresno Sam Houston, than I would watch Cal North Texas play Syracuse or San Diego St Texas St. play ECU. I'm sure that somehow, it'll force the television revenue to increase, but it'll make me personally even less interested.

Edited because THIS IS A NORTH TEXAS BOARD!

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 2

The envy runs rampant with you all in regard to SMU--you guys are obsessed with anything that SMU does or says. You guys should NEVER post on SMU unless you're playing them...and the "insight"/knowledge you think you possess is assinine and if you want to talk about fan support--try selling out your own stadium for it's GRAND OPENING--welcome to "APATHY" U. Let the negative responses commence... but, if you're a realist and are honest with yourselves you'll understand that this post is 100% true. Worry about your team and get the CHIP(s) off of your shoulder.

The envy runs rampant with you all in regard to UNT--you guys are obsessed with anything that UNT does or says. You guys should NEVER post on UNT unless you're playing them...and the "insight"/knowledge you think you possess is asinine and if you want to talk about fan support--try selling out your own stadium--welcome to "APATHY" U. Let the negative responses commence... but, if you're a realist and are honest with yourselves you'll understand that this post is 100% true. Worry about your team and get the CHIP(s) off of your shoulder.

I fixed the spelling while I was at it.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure he's talking about academics, which I'd have to agree with. I grew up in California/Canada but was well aware of Rice's academics. SMU? Not so much.

I studied music at UNT... So that's basically the definition of national recognition.

--

But on a non-arrogant note- if the list was for academics I would have to agree with that.

The envy runs rampant with you all in regard to SMU--you guys are obsessed with anything that SMU does or says. You guys should NEVER post on SMU unless you're playing them...and the "insight"/knowledge you think you possess is assinine and if you want to talk about fan support--try selling out your own stadium for it's GRAND OPENING--welcome to "APATHY" U. Let the negative responses commence... but, if you're a realist and are honest with yourselves you'll understand that this post is 100% true. Worry about your team and get the CHIP(s) off of your shoulder.

Say that 38 years from now and you will better understand where some of us are coming from. If anyone denies "THE SMU ATTITUDE" then they will run into a concrete wall due to visual impairment. I don't know how it was in the Doak Walker Era since I was not even born even back then, but generations later SMU's arrogance became much more intolerable. Hey, TCU'ers say the say things about SMU so its not just a North Texas 'thang.

Main things is many of us from my era till present are mostly tired of seeing Bif''fy Boy's school get all the unearned freebies through apparent and prove-able (by TV cameras) attendance lies and deception when others (not necessarily UNT either) have paid their dues or can bring as much to the table; that's all and I don't think being jealous or envious has anything to do with that, but moreso most who still want.............truth....justice....and the American way, that's all.

:abe:

GMG!

People really should work on spelling and grammar issues before submitting authoritative posts related to academic elitism. Somehow, it just doesn't look right when they don't. Sorry, just couldn't resist.

That my friend, I must agree with. In my defense I wrote that at around 2:30 A.M. after a long night celebrating the Rangers game. I must’ve forgotten I was writing a dissertation, forgive me!

I’ll assume it was legible enough to get the point across!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1