Villarreal on potential scheduling conflict

Brett Vito

What a pitiful situation that the athletic department should basically be asked to say that their product is secondary to another product and even broadcast that product. What have the Rangers ever done for you? Any Texans even on the Ranger team? Good God, stay home and watch the pros or come to the football game and support your team. Don't ask your team to bend over and take it from the Rangers.

This times infinity.

That's me as well. I never understood people choosing a pro team over their alma mater. North Texas REALLY needs your support (and money). The pro teams just need your money.

Life is about choices. You want to go to the game so you will go. No need to criticize those who may not want to go to the game. This shouldn't be new news....our games have never really been the hottest ticket in town anyways. Others may do what you do and others may choose to watch baseball...it is the WS after all if they make it of course.

I hope the Rangers don't make it so that our attendance issue doesn't become such a problem, haha.

Maybe it is a joke but that is silly. If you win, win and more win then the demand for a ticket will be greater. Don't blame the Rangers for our historical fan and student apathy as well as suckdom in athletics. Give folks a reason to spend their time and money going to games. Just because its our alma mater doesn't automatically give them a pass....the general public has a million choices and not only in sports. If you create a winning brand you can be sure people will come.

Not everyone that went to UNT is from Dallas nor lives in Dallas, ergo, not everyone that is a UNT alum cares about Dallas sports. Kind of myopic to assume this is an issue that affects everyone. And it would be really absurd to change schedules for games when people that don't live in Dallas have made plans according to those that were set months in advance to attend the homecoming of their alma mater. RV absolutely did the right thing. Anything else would be small-time.

• Upvote 1

Because to 90% of the metroplex population we are a secondary product. I can go to a UNT game anytime I want. I don't get to see the Rangers in the World Series very often.....that's an understatement. I'll be at the next home game after homecoming. It's unfortunate that this game falls on the same day. If the Rangers don't make it, ill be there. I'm sorry if some of you think that makes me a bad fan.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Because to 90% of the metroplex population we are a secondary product. I can go to a UNT game anytime I want. I don't get to see the Rangers in the World Series very often.....that's an understatement. I'll be at the next home game after homecoming. It's unfortunate that this game falls on the same day. If the Rangers don't make it, ill be there. I'm sorry if some of you think that makes me a bad fan.

The point is, not everyone lives in the metroplex or cares about the metroplex. So unless you want UNT to be a regional University (we don't, it isnt), you don't change up things at the last minute on the off-chance some local franchise makes it to the championship.

I support changing the time of ANY other game, but you can't change Homecoming. Out-of-towners that want to go back to visit their alma mater often make this their ONE trip back to Denton each year.

I'm really surprised people are having such a difficult time understanding this.

• Upvote 1

I was a Rangers fan well before going to school at UNT and later becoming an alumni season ticket holder (now my 5th year). Assuming the Rangers win Saturday or Sunday and actually make it to the Series, I will absolutely not miss watching the Rangers play a World Series game to watch UNT play a game. For me personally, as much as I love going to the UNT games, it is not even a question. If UNT were 5-0, in the SEC, Ranked #2 in the country with a game against Alabama with SEC and National Championship implications on the line, I would still stay home and watch the Rangers. I go to school in the evenings, so the weekend games are all I get to see anyway. I figure making it to 5 UNT games this year and watching two World Series games is a good balance. But hey, maybe I am not the kind of fan that UNT football needs (i.e., one that has only missed 1 home game the last 4 1/2 seasons).

With all that said, all this talk has probably jinxed the whole darned thing anyway.

THANK YOU. I completely agree. I love UNT and have been to every home game this year, but it's the World Series!!! Cmon people. I've been a fan of both teams, but I've been a Rangers fan for longer. All the people on here that are resentful towards those that choose to watch the Rangers instead need to get over it. Every one has a choice and in this case, both choices are fine. GET OVER IT. Go Rangers and go UNT

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What a pitiful situation that the athletic department should basically be asked to say that their product is secondary to another product and even broadcast that product. What have the Rangers ever done for you? Any Texans even on the Ranger team? Good God, stay home and watch the pros or come to the football game and support your team. Don't ask your team to bend over and take it from the Rangers.

are you effin serious right now? WTH should it matter if there are any Texans on the Ranger team?? Terrible logic.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This whole thread should not have happened until after the Rangers actually get to the series.

Until then, it's all a hypothetical.

But... Why not come to the game for the 1st 45 minutes and then go watch the ranger game at Rudy's or A sports bar somewhere?? At least you get to see the 1st qtr plus of football, not to mention the tailgating festivities before the game. You will also be counted in the attendance numbers.

Win-win for the Ranger/uNT fan

• Upvote 2

Even if the Rangers play, we'll get over 15k. If they don't, then we'll get close to 25k.

If we do get over 15000 I doubt it will be over that number by very much (Assuming rangers are playing). I believe in previous years at homecoming are #'s were floating around there. I don't think we will see 25000 again this season, but i hope I'm wrong.

Edited by mgfan

If we do get over 15000 I doubt it will be over that number by very much (Assuming rangers are playing). I believe in previous years at homecoming are #'s were floating around there. I don't think we will see 25000 again this season, but i hope I'm wrong.

I am calling 17,000. We always seem to be at that number on homecoming. If i am wrong, serve me some strawberry pez flavored lumps.