Belt outrecruiting struggling WAC

outoftown

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&view=2&yr=2012

so just looking at this - I know there is still quite some time to go - the belt may be behind everyone else - but right now at least way ahead of aWAC that is really strugling in recruiting across the board... members who will leave included.

UNT alone has only 2 commits less than all WAC teams combined, Arkensas state has as many as the whole WAC (including the same number of 3star players) and ULL has actually more commits than the whole WAC...

I do whink that being at a school with only 1 (Hawaii, SJ state and Utah state) or none (idaho, Fresno) would make me a bit nervous.

This does not necessarily mean it will stay that way and it does worry me a bit how far behind the MAC the belt is in 3star commits.

Lots of WAC schools don't offer until much later, that's at least how it is with Fresno St. They wait to see who PAC schools don't grab, then jump on them. I don't know if they have verbals that they don't announce, kinda think they do.

What does the WAC average jump to when you put in the 9 Texas State commits? Not sure about UTSA commits.

Then of course they would not be nearly as far off.. although I have no clue how the states recruits are ranked. But then again some of UNTs players have not yet been ranked (some will probably stay that way, while others might still get points in that system)

Schools in the non-AQ conferences may be in truth better served by waiting later. NT has few commits now that they probably could not get latter on. I trust that McCarney and staff have a much better eye for talent than Dodge or Dickey but at this point, there is no proof of that. Waiting for disillusioned prospects who didn't come up with the big offer served Dickey well until he couldn't recruit the other lower tier schools doing the same thing.

Those that think that NT is doing great in recruiting, really are optimistic. I would like to think that all the recruits are going to turn out to be a Dunbar or Orr, but NT is largely committing players that aren't highly recruited. I believe that McCarney is going to find more players than his predecessors, but I don't see any immediate big upgrade in talent based on his recruiting thus far.

Freddie Warner, Cyril Lemon, and Michael Stojkovic might disagree with you.

Probably would, then Orr, Dunbar, Atterbury and others might think Dodge did just fine. Any class even FC division are going to come up with a few very good players. The three you named are thus far the best and a few others have contributed, but at this point I'm not sure the total class is a substantial upgrade. Dodge's last two classes were juco dominated so there were not as many freshmen contributors. The facts are that Dodge's last two classes set a real low target for recruiting. NT has not really other than Dodge's second year had a class that was close to anything but maybe the bottom two in Texas recruiting and unfortunately I have seen no evidence of any big improvement on paper. However, as I stated I have more confidence in this staff to find those under recruited players that can prove to be real difference makers on the field were it counts.