For those not there...

I just think charging the field should be reserved for something more special than a non-conference win over a bad football team.

Or maybe we should just do it everytime we win a game, because that really makes it a special experience, right?

How about the first win for Dan McCarney, first win at Apogee Stadium, first win over a Big Ten team, and first home win since 2009?

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

How about the first win for Dan McCarney, first win at Apogee Stadium, first win over a Big Ten team, and first home win since 2009?

Well, I EXPECT Coach Mac to win many more games in his career here. I EXPECT more home wins this year at Apogee. It's not like we suffered a long losing streak at Apogee since we won in the 2nd game played there. Yes, our first win over a Big 10 team. Of course, it's the first time we played a Big10 team, so no real justification there, either.

Maybe I just wish we EXPECTED to win games like this. I know I did.

And having fans in a brand new stadium that is only 2/3 full charge the field in the fourth game of the season is just... Nonsensical.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And having fans in a brand new stadium that is only 2/3 full charge the field in the fourth game of the season is just... Nonsensical.

The attendance thing, I'm just not sure when that will turn the corner. The number of students was really disappointing last night. Alums will come around eventually and decide to travel to Denton and lay down the cash for season tickets or single game tickets.

Students don't have those excuses. Most of them live in Denton, or very close, have to pay nothing to attend the game, and have nothing better to do.

I'll be honest in that I thought as the stadium was being built that the UH game would easily sell out and Indiana would either sell out or be pretty close. We need students, alums, and Denton area residents to buy in, and beyond being ranked in the top 25, I just don't know how that's going to happen.

yup...

I gave our fans an excuse last night because it was our first win in a new stadium... but I hope that the next time we charge the field it is because we just won the sunbelt or we beat a top ten team...

I don't want to look like Baylor did in their opener... storming the field after beating an overrated TCU program

yup...

I gave our fans an excuse last night because it was our first win in a new stadium... but I hope that the next time we charge the field it is because we just won the sunbelt or we beat a top ten team...

I don't want to look like Baylor did in their opener... storming the field after beating an overrated TCU program

I give the students an excuse for Saturday night... It shows enthusiasm. That is what we need. Passion. Maybe they will bring more friends next time.

I was trying to think about the last win I have seen, and I think it might have been the FIU 7 ot's where both teams scored in the 20's. Just awful, but we won.

Edited by SHOSS
  • Upvote 1

The attendance thing, I'm just not sure when that will turn the corner. The number of students was really disappointing last night. Alums will come around eventually and decide to travel to Denton and lay down the cash for season tickets or single game tickets.

Students don't have those excuses. Most of them live in Denton, or very close, have to pay nothing to attend the game, and have nothing better to do.

I'll be honest in that I thought as the stadium was being built that the UH game would easily sell out and Indiana would either sell out or be pretty close. We need students, alums, and Denton area residents to buy in, and beyond being ranked in the top 25, I just don't know how that's going to happen.

We highly overrated the Indiana fans. Several in our section left at halftime. It's a basketball school anyway.

Again, I know there are detractors to this mindset, but...one of our oldest rivals was Southwest Texas State. We should be afraid that they are trying to be big boys now under the Texas State moniker.

Schedule in-state games with old rivals. Texas State. Sam Houston. SFA. Do it at home in Game #1.

I think the game next year opening with Texas Southern is a start. In ensuing years, make that game a more traditional, former rival.

Slight correction.... We are a BCS school. Our conference does not get an automatic bid to a BCS bowl game, but all FBS teams are in the BCS. That changed a fee years ago... but none the less, it was our first win against an auto bid BCS school since 2003 (when we destroyed Baylor)

This sounds like a con job by the BCS to hide the fact that they've divided the FBS into haves and have nots. If you're not in an auto-bid conference you're not really in the BCS, in my opinion.