Love This Defense

UNTLifer

Hi Mr. McNulty,

You do not like DT as starting QB. We get it. Move on? Or at least keep it on the topics of our offense?

I thimk Got5OnIt was referring to IU's backup QB - Kiel. Kiel seems to have a better arm than # 7, but he also seems to have no mobility.

God bless Texas!

Hi Mr. McNulty,

You do not like DT as starting QB. We get it. Move on? Or at least keep it on the topics of our offense?

Unless I'm reading that post incorrectly, he was talking about IU's backup QB who was put into the game in the 4th quarter and, based on my observation, *was* in fact a more accurate passer than the starter. Which would make his comment relevant and a good observation about the success of the defense in the first three quarters versus the last. Geez.

I was at the game and number 15 is going to be a good player. I saw our defense play

like they did 5-6 years ago. Like coach said give him 1-2 years, and after seeing it first

hand last night I believe him. I think we get 5-6 wins this year and then get a bunch of

Junior College help, and then watch out we will be very good next year. I feel the offense

will continue to grow as the season goes along. Oh ! and also, GOOD BYE BOTTOM TEN. I feel

we will not see that again for a long long time.

GO MEAN GREEN ------ GO NORTH TEXAS

Biggest problem in the 4th was the lack of LB pressure (playcalling). It's obvious by now our DL isn't going to do much of a pass rush on their own. Most of our sacks are by LB's, with a few random McCoys. Prevent-type defenses will kill this D until more play-making DL's arrive.

Here we go again...How about that ineffective DL!!!!!!!!

If there was any time to make an assertion, that "most of the sacks are from LB's, with a few random Mc Coys", It wasn't after this game...We need to look at stats before we shoot from the hip. Unless our stats lie...

The following may be helpful:

35 Orr, Zachary 6 2 8 1.0/3 . 1-0 . . . . .

47 Akpunku, B. 6 1 7 3.0/7 . . . . . 2.0/5 .

19 Warner, Freddie 4 2 6 . . . . . . . .

21 Hill, Royce 4 1 5 1.0/2 . . 1-3 2 . . .

11 Wright, Will 4 . 4 . . . . . . . .

31 Stojkovic, M. 2 2 4 1.0/7 . . . 1 . 1.0/7 .

25 Graham, Brad 3 . 3 . . . . . . . .

22 Downing, Ryan 3 . 3 . . . . 1 . . .

20 McCord, D'Leon 2 1 3 . . . . . . . .

26 Johnson, F. 1 2 3 . . . . . . . .

46 Herron, Julian 2 . 2 1.0/7 . . . . . 1.0/7

I thought the D did a great job. They were hitting hard, tackling well, and playing to the whistle. I heard a few hits on TV. It seemed like we rushed their QB and you could tell by many bad throws. But I thought the DL did well against UH and put presure in the backfield. Keenum was just too concious and mobile and seemed to stay just out of range. IU's qbs didn't have that ability and it showed.

Our secondary still seems to get burned a lot. The last 2 TDs were blown coverage. Someone tell Hill to leave the shoe on the ground or call a time out! Both TDs were from blown coverage and I believe that both were Hill's responsibility. But I may be wrong about that.

I thought the D did a great job. They were hitting hard, tackling well, and playing to the whistle. I heard a few hits on TV. It seemed like we rushed their QB and you could tell by many bad throws. But I thought the DL did well against UH and put presure in the backfield. Keenum was just too concious and mobile and seemed to stay just out of range. IU's qbs didn't have that ability and it showed.

Our secondary still seems to get burned a lot. The last 2 TDs were blown coverage. Someone tell Hill to leave the shoe on the ground or call a time out! Both TDs were from blown coverage and I believe that both were Hill's responsibility. But I may be wrong about that.

To me it looked like the defense was in cover two. Safety should've been over the top. Now why stick in that D when It was obvious IU was about to air it out? Maybe we thought the backup was as bad a passer as the starter? Who knows?

I thimk Got5OnIt was referring to IU's backup QB - Kiel. Kiel seems to have a better arm than # 7, but he also seems to have no mobility.

God bless Texas!

Scanning the Hoosier board, apparently Kiel was a steal of a recruit from one of the traditional BCS contenders. From what I understand, he's burning a redshirt AND he may have a sibling on their way to the Hoosiers.

Hill played pretty well overall and Stojkovic had some great hits, at least one of which dislodged the ball and forced an incompletion.

The defense swarmed to the ball, gang tackled and got good penetration and pressure on pass plays. I don't know if it was IU's technique or simply UNT's agressiveness, but the defensive ends put a good deal of outside pressure on the passer.

The second blown coverage wasn't Hill with the shoe issue. It was McCord who lost his shoe then chose to sit down and try to put it back on right as the ball was snapped.

Maybe you're right. I couldn't tell since he has flooded half the threads with anti-DT commentary.

Flooded the board?? Isn't this a football forum Mrs. Thompson? Say goodnight to Derrick fir us when you kiss him goodnight. :rolleyes:

Hope you don't get too butt-hurt by our criticisms of your son here. QB's take a lot of because they are in the spotlight. I'm definitely hoping he gets better as the season progresses.

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Downvote 1

The second blown coverage wasn't Hill with the shoe issue. It was McCord who lost his shoe then chose to sit down and try to put it back on right as the ball was snapped.

McCord was waving to the sideline for a substitution because of the shoe, but Indiana was moving at too quick of a pace to make that happen. Therefore, one of the coaches was waving for McCord to go down to the ground. Just as he was going down to the ground, they snapped the ball.

McCord was waving to the sideline for a substitution because of the shoe, but Indiana was moving at too quick of a pace to make that happen. Therefore, one of the coaches was waving for McCord to go down to the ground. Just as he was going down to the ground, they snapped the ball.

Gotcha, I didn't notice the coaches telling him to go down. Looking back at it they probably should've just called a timeout or he shouldve left the shoe alone. Either way it luckily didn't end up costing us the game and I'm sure it will be addressed by the coaches before next week.