Tomorrow's Epicness

Eastwood Eagle

I can't believe tomorrow is tomorrow. It will be the greatest day of my college life and one of the finest days for the University of North Texas. I have been waiting for this day since I voted for the stadium my Freshman year, now that I am a Senior I could not be more enthused. Win or lose, blow out or close win everyone in that stadium will have a blast and be a fan for years. This is the beginning of something great.

GMG and go class of 2012.

sorry for this emotional rant, a night drinking on the square will do that to you.

Edited by Eastwood Eagle
  • Upvote 3

I can't believe it's here either. Most people I've talked to seem to agree that today is not about the result, but about the stadium, and the direction the program is moving. Of course, if we win, the attendance all year is going to be nuts (it may be regardless). I'm so glad Mccarney talked to every orientation group to get the Freshmen excited, and the stadium is doing a great job pulling back people who never gave a darn about NT athletics and getting them interested.

• Upvote 1

I can't believe tomorrow is tomorrow. It will be the greatest day of my college life and one of the finest days for the University of North Texas. I have been waiting for this day since I voted for the stadium my Freshman year, now that I am a Senior I could not be more enthused. Win or lose, blow out or close win everyone in that stadium will have a blast and be a fan for years. This is the beginning of something great.

sorry for this emotional rant, a night drinking on the square will do that to you.

Heheheh! You guys are really a part of history for this school. It can't be understated. No apologies necessary.

Right there with you, Eastwood Eagle. It's so amazing that we voted for this thing our freshman year and actually get to experience it before we graduate, though I know I'll be back every season until I'm dead.

Go Mean Green.

Now let's go pound some beer and burgers and watch our beloved team pop the Apogee cherry with a win!

There have been many people involved in this project but none of any greater magnitude than those who voted for this back in 2009. I remember Rick McKinney leading a group of maybe two dozen of us over to the student side during a game and our thanking them for what they had done. We called them UNT's greatest generation and I truly believe that they are. Oh, we've had times with a more rabid student body but no group took action to the extent that this group did.

In a few hours I'll be there enjoying one of the greatest days of my life. I was fortunate enough to be at the opening of Fouts but this will be no comparison. I'm thankful that I lived long enough to enjoy this day.

The effects of this showpiece will be around for many, many years. President Rawlins has announced an increase in applicants, freshmen and graduates for this year. We were also able to increase our standards which resulted in fewer being accepted. There were also more that accepted North Texas as their primary choice so overall we are not only raising our standards but gaining more students who want to be here; not as a second choice from another university.

My thanks to all who voted for making Apogee Stadium happen and especially to Derrick Murray. You were the roots from which this stadium has grown.