Shot Gun Snap and hand off on 4th and 1?

FirefightnRick

I was expecting a loss (predicted 31-24 loss). I understand the growing pains and I'm fully aware of FIU's status in our conference. I like to wear the green-tinted glasses as much as anyone else on here. You may have inferred a little too much from my previous post. What I mean is:

These same positives (racking up all kinds of yards between the 20's) were used in 2007-2010, and they were rejected back then... just as they should be rejected now. Remember many people on here said: "I don't want moral victories...". The bottom line is that the Mean Green was punched in the mouth in the 1st quarter and could not recover.

It was McCarney's first game. You have to walk before you can run. I don't think we should saddle the team this year with unrealistic expectations. What I want to see is progress. I don't expect a lot of wins.

I don't get why we arguing how the fourth down should have been converted... Qb sneak, have a fullback, or whatever. How about you punt the ball. It was the first quarter, your defense got burned in four, YES FOUR, plays for a TD. Punt the ball and put them back deep in their own territory or at worse on their own 20. How hard is that?

I think the gutsy call was a good one. The play call? Who knows?

Think about it we had the ball at their 40 yd line right? That's no-man's land where you can't really kick a field goal, but you also shouldn't punt. We only needed a yard and that should be do-able. But, it wasn't so we move on.

I've got full trust in this coaching staff to take us where we need to go. It appears there will be growing pains along the way though...

And there it is. At the 1:49 mark left in the 2nd TCU faced a 4th and one and goes under center. No shotgun.

Rick

And TCU has a better o-line than us, so your comparison doesn't carry as much water.

Edited by UNTFan23

And TCU has a better o-line than us, so your comparison doesn't carry as much water.

Not COMPARING the two at all. But I agree about TCU's line, which supports my argument further because even a team with a better O line than us knows the higher percentage play right?

I've argued that trying to convert 4th and inches handing off 5 yards deep in the shotgun is a low percentage play and we have proven it as such and that you will rarely see the big boys try it.

So tonight in the first big boy game of the weekend this situation came up and they attempted a higher percentage play as I predicted they would.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I agree with the consistency that Chico brings, but is it so simple? Someone with football experience help me out.

Is an OC allowed full control, or can it vary from coach to coach?**

Does it make a big difference if you have a new OLine coach? Does that apply to us?

What about other O position coaches? Did we not have turnover in WR/QB/TE/RB coaches?

** Will we ever know?

I'm as frustrated as the next guy regarding our offensive performance Thursday. But I'm not about to assume that retaining Chico means these players are going through the same system/routines as last year. Then again, maybe they are...

• Downvote 1

Dunbar was dropped for a loss. The TCU attempt was so close they had to go through two replays, including a coaches challenge, in order to make a decision.

Rick

They went through replays because it was an awful spot, not because he was close to a first down. Hell after they respotted the ball they didn't even bother to remeasure. Dunbars was measured and ended a half yard short. Not dropped for a loss, just picked up a half yard instead of a full yard.

Bottom line is no matter the formation or the playcall, if it works it was a good call and if it doesn't it is second guessed and picked apart

• Upvote 1

I agree with the consistency that Chico brings, but is it so simple? Someone with football experience help me out.

Is an OC allowed full control, or can it vary from coach to coach?**

Does it make a big difference if you have a new OLine coach? Does that apply to us?

What about other O position coaches? Did we not have turnover in WR/QB/TE/RB coaches?

** Will we ever know?

I'm as frustrated as the next guy regarding our offensive performance Thursday. But I'm not about to assume that retaining Chico means these players are going through the same system/routines as last year. Then again, maybe they are...

It was essentially the same offense as last year and FIU was able to tee off on many of our plays because they knew them (well coached). There was a little Tight End play, which is different. The difference in this offense was that the O-line was manhandled and some of that has to do with FIU knowing what we were going to do, but the freshmen got murdered and the right tackle play was very poor, especially after JJ went out. I'd say most of that is coaching. Wrong people in the wrong place.

Then there was the D. Even the announcers said put a spy on the great WR. Want to know why they said that? Because that's what you do when someone is killing you. It may backfire if the other team is well coached, but who cares. That guy is KILLING you!

Lastly, FIU is going to give everybody fits this year. That QB and WR combo is devastating and their D wasn't bad at all.

One play didn't lose this game.

Carry on.

No it didn't, but give yourself a chance; don't run the same play you've been running over and over. Do something different out of the formation. It's quite difficult to run play action out of that formation, but it can be done. FIU's D was able to just tee-off on that play because they knew where it was going. The hole that was supposed to be there was completely stuffed with FIU before the ball carrier got the ball. If you're going to run that play and not care what the D is going to do, you have to have the horses up front. I'm sorry, but that was poorly coached.