Hi Big 12, I know you're drunk but....

meanJewGreen

"A survey in August 2011 found that a majority of Texas voters feel that the Big 12 is the best fit for SMU as compared to other conferences."

Really? What survey? Anyone here participate since they polled a "majority of Texas voters?" How desperate they've become. Dallas doesn't care about SMU.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"A survey in August 2011 found that a majority of Texas voters feel that the Big 12 is the best fit for SMU as compared to other conferences."

Really? What survey? Anyone here participate since they polled a "majority of Texas voters?" How desperate they've become. Dallas doesn't care about SMU.

Perception is everything. Which is why, lame as it may be, I agree... we should have a site with OUR selling points, why this University matters, etc... because quite frankly, most people outside of DFW don't know a damned thing about UNT.

• Upvote 2

Enough of them do--especially the monied folk. A lot of your Highland Park and University Park crowd would literally buy SMU back into being relevant. And to those people, you are relevant if you are in an AQ conference--CUSA is never going to satisfy SMUs older alums or Dallas' wealthy citizenry. It won't matter, though. SMU brings nothing to the current BIG XII or any other AQ league that they don't already have. Nothing--even if the Belo media conglomerate in Dallas tries its hardest to convince us all that SMU belongs there, you know, since they were in the SWC and all...there is nothing that they bring to the table for an AQ league. If Texas and Tech leave the Big XII, then SMU can argue for a spot, but even then, that is probably not worth anything to the remaining leftovers, unless it is the only way they can keep their AQ status. To me, SMU is the truest definiton of the term mid-major. Not big enough to be in an AQ league, not small-enough budget-wise, history-wise, or market-wise to be rendered small time, which is why CUSA gobbled them up as fast as they could even when SMU literally sucked at football.

It just keeps getting ridiculouser and ridiculouser.

FYI, Orsini, SMU would not be returning to an AQ because they were never there. It didn't exist when SMU was in the Southwest Conference.

There is only one candidate if the Big 12 wants to keep a fairly similar status should A&M leave...Brigham Young. They have a student body of almost 34,000 and regularly has attendance at football games above 50 thousand. I

call that big time.

The other name that Chuck Carlson banters about, Notre Dame, while listed as an independent, has their other sports teams in the Big East and they are an automatic qualifier through the Big East. Why would they want to give that up for a not-so-stable Big 12?

Arkansas is already in a better conference and it's also silly to think that they'd move and lose so much money.

Only if the Big XII is interested in expanding beyond ten members would SMU, Houston, North Texas, Air Force, or Colorado State have a chance. I eliminated TCU because they are already in a Big Six conference. If that should happen, or if there is movement by Texas or OU, then it might be a topic for discussion. Until then, get real SMU!

Interesting, because UH stands head and shoulders over SMU in what they would bring to the Big 12. I don't think they'll end up going, but they have a realistic shot.

Come on, you honestly don't think UH and every other school are constantly lobbying for the best possible scenario? Just because they aren't using the press or have some pro-pink polo dmn writer in their corner doesn't mean conversations aren't happening....

• Upvote 1

Come on, you honestly don't think UH and every other school are constantly lobbying for the best possible scenario? Just because they aren't using the press or have some pro-pink polo dmn writer in their corner doesn't mean conversations aren't happening....

Well, the article pretty much said the conversations are happening. I'm talking about the big public push that SMU has been making.