If Houston bolt to the BIg 12 then UNT might get an invite to CUSA

sports1

No one that is not already in a non-AQ conference is better qualified. They are only a few miles removed from the Big 12 footprint whereas Brigham Young is 700 or more from the closest member. BYU won't play on Sundays. They're a private school, but then again so is Baylor; still, all others are state. BYU wouldn't be a bad choice but neither would Houston. I believe that Houston's biggest drawback is their stadium (and their attendance) but their attendance was around 30,000 last year and being in the Big 12 would up their average 5-10,000. There are stadiums nearby to hold the crowds that Texas and Oklahoma would generate. They also have plans on the board for a 50.000 seat stadium. They have been competitive in football and the additional allure of the Big 12 would enhance their ability to recruit better athletes even more. Houston is the third largest university in Texas and in the top third of American universities. They are in the 10th largest market. No one available will be able to top A&M's numbers so don't compare them (or anyone else) to the Aggies.

However, I don't see the urgency for adding Houston without increasing the total back to 12. Twelve members give you a championship game and reduced travel costs as well as a lot more bodies and money interested in Big 12 football.

TCU would have been the no-brainer addition had they not bolted for a non-AQ berth with the Big East. That could come back to bite them if the SEC goes to 16 teams. The Big 10 and the ACC would likely be able to take any teams that they wanted from the BE, especially their base of Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt, and West Virginia, which would hurt the most.

The only other FBS teams within the current footprint are SMU, Tulsa and North Texas. Like it or not, the future of the conference lies with those five UNLESS some of the current members are able to join other AQ conferences.

We are not really ready for an AQ conference yet and CUSA would be better than the SBC even with several current USAers possibly going to the ACC or Big East.

With that being said, it is in our best interest for the University and it's Athletic programs, that we do everything humanly possible to insure inclusion in the top tier.

If we are excluded then we regroup and start a new league, new conferences based on economics and proximity of members thereby creating rivalries and the opportunity for fans to drive to away games. It will fill stadiums and create revenue. Put "The League" office in Dallas. Each conference member can play only one BCS team per year, if at all, for a price of 2.5 million. The school gets to keep 1.5 million and the rest goes to the League office for radio, TV and other promotional media for the new league. We establish a Chamionship game.

Each school must sign a contract with the league that says if certain criterion are not met then they can be eliminated from the league and the conferences are consolidated further using the method before as best possible.

Done right, and the two leagues will one day play for the Real Championship.

Edited by meangreenbob

i think that after a&m leaves, this season or next, the big 12 sits tight with 9 schools. byu went independent in football because they see their tv network as part of their church mission.houston is the only school that might be able to help the big 12 in market where a&m is strong. if houston does leave cusa, the conference will add a school in the east, not west. they would still have 3 schools in texas, and only 1 in florida, and cfu might be big east bound.plus marshall and ecu really want another school in their neighborhood.fun to discuss, but until we turn our football program around and average 27,000 butts in seats instead of 17,000,we are probably are going nowhere, as is la tech.

• Upvote 1

i think that after a&m leaves, this season or next, the big 12 sits tight with 9 schools. byu went independent in football because they see their tv network as part of their church mission.houston is the only school that might be able to help the big 12 in market where a&m is strong. if houston does leave cusa, the conference will add a school in the east, not west. they would still have 3 schools in texas, and only 1 in florida, and cfu might be big east bound.plus marshall and ecu really want another school in their neighborhood.fun to discuss, but until we turn our football program around and average 27,000 butts in seats instead of 17,000,we are probably are going nowhere, as is la tech.

The Big 12 can't sit tight with nine schools because their television contract guarantees FOXSports that they'll have 10 teams. They promised FOX that. That is why they are looking for replacements.

I think UCF is Big East bound, for sure.

C-USA has a decent commissioner. His dad was president of Pepperdine and, at one point, Oklahoma. He was Big 12's counsel for awhile. He's well connected, and in Dallas. I'm surprised we haven't been able to open any doors with him. Here's an interview with him from earlier in the month:

http://www2.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=231&articleid=20110801_231_B3_ULNSbB592385

He mentions working together with the Mountain West. Interesting that he says they've discussed having their champion play the MWC champion (if neither are BCS bowl bound, I'm sure). We should be doing the with...swallow your pride...the WAC.

While we can hope to gain membership in the C-USA, I am hoping that if we can't that our commissioner is working with other conferences for the betterment of all of the schools. The Sun Belt and WAC are an afterthought, but we should work together to raise our opportunities the way the C-USA and MWC are.

The Big 12 can't sit tight with nine schools because their television contract guarantees FOXSports that they'll have 10 teams. They promised FOX that. That is why they are looking for replacements.

I think UCF is Big East bound, for sure.

C-USA has a decent commissioner. His dad was president of Pepperdine and, at one point, Oklahoma. He was Big 12's counsel for awhile. He's well connected, and in Dallas. I'm surprised we haven't been able to open any doors with him. Here's an interview with him from earlier in the month:

http://www2.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=231&articleid=20110801_231_B3_ULNSbB592385

He mentions working together with the Mountain West. Interesting that he says they've discussed having their champion play the MWC champion (if neither are BCS bowl bound, I'm sure). We should be doing the with...swallow your pride...the WAC.

While we can hope to gain membership in the C-USA, I am hoping that if we can't that our commissioner is working with other conferences for the betterment of all of the schools. The Sun Belt and WAC are an afterthought, but we should work together to raise our opportunities the way the C-USA and MWC are.

you are right about 10 teams, which is all the big 12 needs or wants. tcu and smu bring nothing to the table.[market share] houston maybe. i see no interest from byu.don't have a clue who 10th school would be. air force seems a reach, as does any big east team. i don't have a clue.

you are right about 10 teams, which is all the big 12 needs or wants. tcu and smu bring nothing to the table.[market share] houston maybe. i see no interest from byu.don't have a clue who 10th school would be. air force seems a reach, as does any big east team. i don't have a clue.

Neither does the Big 12 commissioner...which is why his conference is falling apart.

• Upvote 1