Season Opener

redallover

Hello GMG fans, I'm pumped about the season opener. Of course, I'm a Coog fan but my dad got three degrees at UNT and will be with me for the season opener (wearing green). I sat on Phyllis George's lap for a picture and saw MJG in action when my parents were in grad school.

So, who is the QB this year? I lost track when Dodge transferred and the other guy Vizza transferred. Did he ever do anything at A&M? Obviously not. I know you have a stud RB on the Doak Walker watch list, so he keeps up the tradition of strong RBs over the last decade or so.

What about the OL and DL? Secondary? Our DL coach, Jim Jeffcoat, was let go and we brought in a guy from Harvard. Yeah, that seems to be an unlikely place to get great coaching talent but he's very skilled on technique and teaching, as well as recruiting. We run a 3-4 defense and have been in transition since Brian Stewart (former Dallas Cowboy DC) came on board in 2010.

Our offense is loaded with Case Keenum back at QB but I'm uncertain how strong the OL is. The RBs and WRs are stout.

Here's to a great atmosphere/sellout and a win at FIU in your opener.

• Upvote 2

Welcome to the board. Although you may be red all over on the outside, I have a feeling there is still some green coursing through your veins--there is still good in you and hope for you.

Our starting QB is Derek Thompson. He is a redshirt sophomore who saw action in the last offensive drive of 2009. All he did was take us 68 yards down the field in 1:17, going 3 for 3 with 60 yards passing and a TD. In a hard-fought battle last fall camp, veteran Nathan Tune barely beat out DT for the starting job. He became starter for the Army game when Tune went out for the season, but Derek also was lost for the season when he broke his leg in that game. That's the kind of year we had in 2010.

Both lines have some question marks. We graduated both starting DTs and several starting O-linemen. The secondary should be good with plenty of returning experience. They'll no doubt be tested against Houston's receivers and Keenum, but I don't expect to see them getting burned all game long. We lost one of our great LBs of all time in Craig Robertson, but that unit should still be solid.

All that said, you really need to worry about Lance Dunbar.

Thanks for the note. Yeah, I still like UNT to do well and expect good things in the future. I still fondly recall the 2003 or so game vs. NMSU where the MG tore down the goal posts after winning the conference title.

"He became starter for the Army game when Tune went out for the season, but Derek also was lost for the season when he broke his leg in that game."

That's very similar to our season where we lost Keenum and the backup, Cotton Turner, in the third game of the season at UCLA. Then we had two true freshmen QBs go back and forth until Southlake's David Piland won the starting job. He's #2 or #3 on the depth chart but it would be nice to be redshirted if no one gets hurt ahead of him.

Hello GMG fans, I'm pumped about the season opener. Of course, I'm a Coog fan but my dad got three degrees at UNT and will be with me for the season opener (wearing green). I sat on Phyllis George's lap for a picture and saw MJG in action when my parents were in grad school...

I assume you mean Mean Joe Greene?

Maybe you mean this guy though...?

8BallMJG.jpg